Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:52 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenc View Post
Gastonia Homicides:

2005 5
2004 7
2001 8
2000 6

Gastonia Rapes

2005 36
2004 40
2001 32
2000 24

Gastonia Robberies

2005 257
2004 273
2001 330
2000 284

It's not Beruit, but it's the most dangerous Charlotte suburb.
if that's what ya'll call the most dangerous. i'm very relaxed about the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 12:29 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,298 times
I have to defend gastonia. once again, crime doesn't know a zip code.
Ofcourse, you have to make wise decision if your renting a place and it looks seedy, it probably is.

We met a teacher who works in an affluent school, she said the kids in her school have drug abuse at home, but these parents can afford their drugs and its' swept under the rug, in the high crime areas, these crimes make front page news. There is alot of domestic issues everywhere. You just have to make the most educated decision for your family.

There tends to be more crime in certain pockets all over the place. Central ave in Charlotte has a bad reputation. As long as your safety smart and use common sense, you'll survive anywhere. I know i don't open the door for people, if i'm not expecting you I don't open the door. I have a home security system, lock my doors, and make safety a priority. Even when I'm up in Myer's Park and the University Area.

Check out the crime stats for Concord Mills. There was even an episode where high school kids were breaking into cars parked at a corporation because there was laxed security and they could.

I think Gastonia has a bad rep because people don't give it a chance.
One nurse told me that a while ago the illiteracy rates were quite high in gastonia and that's hurt their reputation for years.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,113 times
True...crime is everywhere. I mean, there have even been home invasions in Shelby. Compared to DC-metro, Charlotte-metro is safe; but I certainly agree that a wise person keeps their doors locked at all times and remains alert, regardless of neighborhood.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:19 AM

928 posts, read 3,852,298 times
KM I even think there have been some murders in Shelby.

I know of Metro DC and they have alot of crime there, but look at the place, it's so expensive to live there, it's high stress, and the situation with the homeless people. You'd atleast think they'd have crime under control considering the president of the united states lives there. I was there in the early 90's and i know that's not the place for me, along with Orlando Fl. I just couldn't live in a huge tourist trap. Guess myrtle beach is out for me too.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,113 times
For career reasons I'd LOVE to live in DC, but I'd need a couple million to put down on my Georgetown townhouse and to buy a few attack dogs.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,616 times
I am looking to relocate from Ohio to the Carolinas to be closer to my grandchildren who actually live in Atlanta but I cannot take the stress of the traffic in Atlanta but it is very difficult to figure out which suburb is more favorable and safe for a 69 year old grandmother. If there is anyone out there who can give me some pointers on Fort Mill,Concord, Indian Trail, Huntersville, Mount Holly or Rock Hill areas, I would appreciate your reply.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,332 times
There was structured crime in Gastonia 20 years ago.. If "bad" equates to lower income household density, then yes it's "bad".

Old 06-08-2013, 04:37 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Myricks View Post
I am looking to relocate from Ohio to the Carolinas to be closer to my grandchildren who actually live in Atlanta but I cannot take the stress of the traffic in Atlanta but it is very difficult to figure out which suburb is more favorable and safe for a 69 year old grandmother. If there is anyone out there who can give me some pointers on Fort Mill,Concord, Indian Trail, Huntersville, Mount Holly or Rock Hill areas, I would appreciate your reply.
I would start a new thread, this one is from 2007.

If you are interested in a 55 and over community, check out Sun city in Fort Mil, S.C.. Safe and active.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:15 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Quote:
Not sure what you're looking for exactly, but if the lake entices you, I would recommend the area around Denver. It's just off Hwy 16, which provides quick access to I485 and then I85 to Atlanta and you're still pretty close to Charlotte. There is less "volume" on that side of the lake compared to Mooresville, Cornelius, and Huntersville PLUS you'll enjoy lower taxes and a variety of nice newer homes going in. There are also some small adult oriented (55+) enclaves off Hwy 16.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:24 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:

My in laws are in their Mid 60's and they live in Concord near us. They live in a family friendly neighborhood and in fact their next door neighbors are around their age. They've even gone on vacation with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte