Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:21 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times

Advertisements

I don't understand states that require 2 plates. Why not require 4, put on the sides of your car as well. Or maybe even the roof?

One plate on the back is sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 09:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Its legal because the front plate isnt required and the cops just make sure the one on the rear is legal

Old 09-13-2009, 11:53 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I don't understand states that require 2 plates. Why not require 4, put on the sides of your car as well. Or maybe even the roof?

It is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Does that sum it up?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:43 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Yeah, seems a little weird to have another state's plate on the front, even though you don't have to have two NC plates. I would think there would be some rule against that on the books somewhere, although who knows.

I would've liked to have kept my front plate from IL on, only because I had the organ donor awareness plate and NC doesn't have one.... but, not at the risk of getting some sort of ticket or having to remove it when driving out of state.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
It is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Does that sum it up?
Huh?

Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Its legal because the front plate isnt required and the cops just make sure the one on the rear is legal

Assuming that the front plate is not revoked AND that the state who owns the plate, did not want it back, then I suppose you may be right.

Some states require their plate(s) be returned, once you cancel or they cancel for that matter, that states registration. If you don't, fines can be placed on that registration. If that car gets pulled over, the cops can run both plates on the car. That is when you'll find out if it was legal or not.

The fines can continue to climb and in my home state, once a certain dollar amount is reached(I believe $500.00), they can suspend your drivers license. This is where the pokey comes in.

A lot depends on a lot. IMO, why risk it? Just get a vanity plate. How 'bout an American flag? Although, some will say that is degrading to the flag.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Huh?
It's all about the state getting their money. An extra plate means an extra fees.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post

No state requires two tags. A plate isn't required on the front of motor vehicles in N.C. so one can keep the old one there. I lived overseas and kept my overseas tags on the front of my car when I returned to South Carolina. Just so I had S.C. tags up to date, I was O.K. One can do this in most states. Just like having a dealership or a novelty tag on front.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
No state requires two tags. A plate isn't required on the front of motor vehicles in N.C. so one can keep the old one there. I lived overseas and kept my overseas tags on the front of my car when I returned to South Carolina. Just so I had S.C. tags up to date, I was O.K. One can do this in most states. Just like having a dealership or a novelty tag on front.
Pardon? Most states require two plates, one in the front and one in the back. Here is a list of states that require only one plate:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia.

Less than half the states in the US allow you to get by with one plate.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:06 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Pardon? Most states require two plates, one in the front and one in the back. Here is a list of states that require only one plate:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia.

Less than half the states in the US allow you to get by with one plate.
I read it wrong. My mistake. I somehow read that a person thought that a person had to have two places from two places. I was confused. How in the world can one do that. Sorry you did all that research due to my misreading. Good job with the clarification though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte