Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:55 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek74 View Post
As far as having a personal experience with Lennar, I can say that I have been very happy with them. I just bought a townhome from them a little over a month ago, and I couldn't be happier. We walked the site pretty much every weekend during the building process...I was impressed with how neat the whole area was in comparison to most other new builds I've seen.

I think the quality and service is excellent. At least it has been so far! The neighbors that I have met also seem to have had good experiences with them.

Just my two cents...

So why do you think they had a price drop? Are they having trouble selling at that location?

My husband works for Lennar but in Union county at this moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 06:35 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmt9914 View Post
Just thought I'd set the record straight on this new subdivision in Steele Creek. I believe someone made an erroneous comment to the effect of there being a sewage treatment facility in the area of Moss Road/South Point Business Park. Since my family and I are purchasing in this new subdivision I thought I'd let others know that the alleged "sewage treatment facility" does not exist. I work with many of the corporations in South Point Business Park and I believe someone mistook ITT Wedeco (who manufactures water filtration systems, based out of Germany) as a treatment facility. I think rather then supporting a smear campaign we should do our due diligence and get the facts straight first. Just thought I'd share...
The sewage treatment facility is on Choate Circle road about 100 yards from the intersection of Moss road and Choate Circle. If you really do business in South point you will know where the million square foot Black and Decker plant is and also the 600000 sqft TJmax warehouse. Along creek next to this two buildings is where the sewage treatment plant is located. You will know when you are close as many times the smell is so bad you can taste it!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:51 AM

58 posts, read 307,181 times
Duke -

Where exactly is the sewage treatment plant located? What's the address? I've searched Google Earth and don't see anything remotely resembling a sewage treatment facility in that area.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities website lists five Wastewater Treatment Plants:

Irwin Creek - Off Billy Graham Parkway across from the Coliseum
Mallard Creek - Near Blockbuster Pavillion at Highway 29 and I-485
McAlpine Creek - In Pineville
McDowell Creek - In Huntersville
Sugar Creek - On Tyvola near Park Road Park

Each of those treatment plants is clearly visible on the maps. Is the facility you are referring to a new plant? Privately run? Indoor?

Old 05-28-2007, 02:12 PM

73 posts, read 247,189 times
Pretty much, you can take what Duke says and believe the opposite, that's one thing I have learned on this site.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:08 PM

The facilty is called the Steele Creek lift station. I think there are a few spray tanks still there but the main purpose now is to move sewage to another area. Yes the site stinks especially when there is humidity in the air not the 30% that we are seeing now.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:23 AM

So, in fact, there is not a sewage treatment plant at this location as was stated. There is a huge difference between treatment plants and pumping stations.

Thirty seconds on Google reveals that Charlotte Mecklenburg Utilities has 72 sewage transfer stations in the county. With that many facilities, I dare say that very few Mecklenburg County residents live outside of "smelling distance" of these facilities.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsenator View Post
So, in fact, there is not a sewage treatment plant at this location as was stated. There is a huge difference between treatment plants and pumping stations.

Thirty seconds on Google reveals that Charlotte Mecklenburg Utilities has 72 sewage transfer stations in the county. With that many facilities, I dare say that very few Mecklenburg County residents live outside of "smelling distance" of these facilities.
As I stated I believe there are still a few treatment tanks at this site. In the very recent past this site did treat sewage. As far as sewage treatment goes Moderator cut: removedand I am not going to argue over specifics of a site when the stench and spillage problems are what will drive most people away. When I smell something that bad I stay away from it and I would never live purchase land next to a sewage treatment site as there is always the possiblily for expansion from pumping to treatment again.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Blah, blah, blah... As far as sewage treatment goes Moderator cut: removed I am not going to argue over specifics of a site when the stench and spillage problems are what will drive most people away. Blah, blah, blah...

I don't know a thing about waste treatment other than what I could find out by spending a few minutes with Google. You stated there was a treatment plant near that intersection, so I looked at satellite photos and saw nothing resembling that. I just wanted to know what the real deal was.

My point in the last post is that with 72 pumping stations around the county, you (and other Mecklenburg residents) probably live right next to one, too. If you're trying to move somewhere where you won't smell sewage occassionally, good luck.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:48 AM

I can tell you I live no where near a sewage treatment facilty and there is definitely nothing that smells like that site or and sewage treatment site near my home. I would not have it as it is easier to pickup and leave. I do not know how people on Tyvola (or what ever the road name changes to) road and those near Carolina place can stand the smell out of those sites either.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:23 AM

While you my not live near a treatment facility, you surely live close to one of the 72 lift stations. Here's a summary of the spills that occured during the two day period from 3/2/07 - 3/3/07, including over 3000 gallons of sewage spilled from two lift stations.

Quote:
Monday, March 5, 2007
News Follow-up from Friday: Storm Causes Minor Sewage Challenges in Mecklenburg

Three to four inches of rainfall last week contributed to eight wastewater overflows along the 3,400 mile public sewer pipe system these spills were initially reported to the media on Friday, March 2. Overall, the collection system and five wastewater treatment plants performed well under the stress of extremely heavy flows caused by rainfall and storm runoff that entered the sanitary sewer system.

However, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities responded the following wastewater overflows caused by heavy rains:

* Near 8924 Old Dowd Rd (Paw Creek Lift Station) on 3/2/2007. An estimated 2,094 gallons reached Paw Creek. A Utilities crew was on-site and responded immediately.

* Near 800 Hawfield Rd (Long Creek Lift Station) on 3/2/2007. An estimated 850 gallons reached Long Creek. A Utilities crew was on-site and responded immediately.

* Near 4735 Carmel Rd on 3/3/2007. An estimated 3,600 gallons reached McAlpine Creek. A Utilities crew was on-site and responded immediately.

* Near 8711 Monroe Road (i.e. reported Friday as McAlpineCreekPark) on 3/2/2007. An estimated 4800 gallons reached McAlpine Creek. A Utilities crew responded within 8 minutes.

Spills at the below locations were initially reported, on Friday, as caused by heavy rains. After further inspection, the primary causes of these spills were changed to the following:

* Near 3700 Sedgewood Circle on 3/2/2007. Grease caused wastewater to overflow. An estimated 4,020 gallons reached a tributary of Briar Creek. There was a breakdown in communication between crews and dispatch regarding who was going to respond to this spill. This drastically increased the response time and gallons spilled. A Utilities crew responded within 66 hours.

* Near 2311 Club Road on 3/2/2007. Tree roots caused wastewater to overflow. An estimated 965 gallons reached a tributary to Briar Creek. A Utilities crew responded within 38 minutes.

* Near 406 Hilo Dr on 3/2/2007. Grease caused wastewater to overflow. An estimated 310 gallons reached a tributary to Little Sugar Creek. A Utilities crew responded within 113 minutes.

* Near 5301 Park Road (i.e. reported Friday as spill near Sugar Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant) on 3/2/2007. A broken pipe caused wastewater to overflow. An estimated 900 gallons reached a tributary to Little Sugar Creek. A Utilities crew responded within one minute.

Crews took appropriate steps to clean up the areas and repair the pipes. State and local water quality officials were notified of the situation and Utilities reports no visible evidence of fish kills or other environmental impact.

If you see or suspect any type of spill from the sewer collection system, please contact the Wastewater Collection Division at 311 (or 704-336-7600). The phone line is answered 24 hours per day.

Note: this report does not include other smaller spills that do not require public notification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte