Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:18 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
...just dont' see Charlotte as the land of Milk & Honey or Utopia.........Never was..
That's highly subjective and even more arguable. It was and still is the land of such for me. I won't let some down times kill a good place to live for me. I know this quote doesn't necessarily knock Charlotte or call it a bad place to live, but I can't ignore the undertones reflected in it and a lot of other folk's sentiments as well lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 02:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
....just dont' see Charlotte as the land of Milk & Honey or Utopia.........Never was..
It's morphed into the land of Skim Milk and Sweet & Low...with no Equal for more than a few, at this point!

Old 09-17-2009, 02:37 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
That's highly subjective and even more arguable. It was and still is the land of such for me. I won't let some down times kill a good place to live for me. I know this quote doesn't necessarily knock Charlotte or call it a bad place to live, but I can't ignore the undertones reflected in it and a lot of other folk's sentiments as well lately.
Well you have to admit that many people held onto the idea (some still do) that Charlotte was "bubble immune" and "less impacted" by everything going on elsewhere... Posts after post with Charlotte "showing positive signs" and a "top location for home values" continued for a very, very long time. This leads people to think they can go there without a job and still get by.

Well, the truth is they can't... and they need to stop going down there without jobs. Until they do, things aren't going to turn around significantly. If the cost of that is people no longer referring to Charlotte "as the land of milk and honey" publicly - you can go right on thinking that privately and smile to yourself when the people already there find jobs.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Here is what defies definition. We have told folks to be very cautious about re-locating here without a job - and we have been told we are unwelcoming - and (i love this one!!!) that the folks here - natives in particular - just don't want "better qualified" people coming here from the NE cause that means they will get hired and we won't <snicker> I have always found that one weird, cause anyone who is HERE is HERE b/c he/she is either employed now - or was employed. It is not as tho the locals have been hanging out here 40 years without jobs!!! That one defies categorizing.

We have had folks tell us over and over - that they don't need to hear the doom and gloom and all the "bitterness." Again, I can't quite figure that out - "bitter?" If I were bitter, I sure would not be sticking around here sullen and mad at the world. I would just pick up and move if I were disenchanted with Charlotte.

This is a decent spot to live. When I think of other places I would consider moving to - it is always with the caveat of "getting a job there." I can't think of any place I would move without it being a career move. I can't even figure out where I would retire other than right here. It's a convenient area and I love the land here in western NC, especially. Those rolling hills are so beautiful - and our mountains are magical. So I can see why anyone would be happy here . . . I just don't think a person can be too happy anywhere if they don't have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte