Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:49 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,053 times

Advertisements

In my experience, taxes are cheaper, electricity is cheaper, cable/internet is cheaper, gas is much cheaper, preschool is cheaper, natural gas is about the same, groceries are about the same, and water is more expensive. Car insurance also was a bit more than in Charlotte - I found that odd. Car tax seemed about the same.

Cheaper overall to be in SC, on a day to day basis. For us, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
My electric bill in Charlotte for a 800 sq foot apartment was over $100 in the summer in SW Charlotte. Now with a 1100 sq ft duplex in Fort Mill, it's about $70. Groceries are the same; it's the same market, same ads, same prices etc. You'll pay the same price for the same thing at the Harris Teeter in South Park as you would at the one in Fort Mill. Bi-Lo has a distribution center in Fort Mill so it's not a transportation cost issue. Gas is cheaper in SC, my car tax is ALOT cheaper than Mecklenburg. The only major difference is I used to live 3.3 miles from work and now it's 18 miles from work, so even with gas being 25-30 cents cheaper, I am still using a lot more of it. Car insurance was a little more for me too. It's because of the dwi and highway fatality statistics in SC, which are among the highest in the country percentage wise.

Last edited by groove1; 09-10-2007 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-10-2007, 11:46 AM

36 posts, read 44,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
In my experience, taxes are cheaper, electricity is cheaper, cable/internet is cheaper, gas is much cheaper, preschool is cheaper, natural gas is about the same, groceries are about the same, and water is more expensive. Car insurance also was a bit more than in Charlotte - I found that odd. Car tax seemed about the same.

Cheaper overall to be in SC, on a day to day basis. For us, at least.
Same here, everything's cheaper in SC than it is in NC. Especially gas. I'm amazed at how many people come to Indian Land, SC and get there gas from Ballantyne just to save .12 cents a gallon. More power to them. I will never live in NC after living in SC unless it's on Lake Norman where I'll always keep SC property in my name b/c of taxes. This is coming from a person who spent all 26 of my years in NC where I moved to SC just last year.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM

235 posts, read 729,898 times
This post is interesting as we were discussing moving to SC when our lease here in NC is up. Right now we are in the Ballantyne area and it is a little pricey in terms of buying a home. None of you talked about the schools, just curious as to your thoughts if you have kids.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:08 PM

FM schools have the best schools in the Charlotte Metro.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
The best thing about living in SC is that you get to use all the resources here in NC to make a living for your family yet you don't have to contribute to the community from which you earn your living as much as the rest of us who live here AND work here.

Kudos to you.
Note the sarcasm.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:52 PM

36 posts, read 44,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
The best thing about living in SC is that you get to use all the resources here in NC to make a living for your family yet you don't have to contribute to the community from which you earn your living as much as the rest of us who live here AND work here.

Kudos to you.
Note the sarcasm.
I could make the comment b/c those that have moved from NC to SC are a little smarter with their $$$ b/c of cheaper everything(housing, taxes, etc). And I could also get pissed at all of the Ballantyne residents for crowding up our gas stations here in SC at the state line b/c the prices are much cheaper. But I'm not...

...sarcasm noted y0!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 PM

Nothing in your post changes the fact that you are reaping the benefits of working in NC without contributing back as much as the rest of us here.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Nothing in your post changes the fact that you are reaping the benefits of working in NC without contributing back as much as the rest of us here.
Maybe not in their post, but both my jobs are in NC, so guess what? I spend a decent amount of money in Charlotte on things like groceries, meals, and entertainment, all of which are subject to NC and Charlotte sales tax, so we do contribute something (besides pollution from our uninspected vehicles )while also just spending money in an area is good for that area's economy. It's just part of living in a metro area. And yes, I know you were being sarcastic.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:03 PM

groove, you know me well. My point is mainly in regard to property taxes as well as other state and local taxes and expenses we have a burden to bear as a result of road traffic and other congestion that comes and goes from out-of-staters. I know you eat, work and play here groove, but a lot of these others do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte