Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 11:03 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,594 times

Advertisements

Saw an article in the Monroe Enquirer Journal yesterday about the Indian Trail Town Council proposing a "juvenile safety ordinance and a minor safety ordinance."

"The juvenile safety ordinance would affect residents 16 and younger, while the minor safety ordinance would affect those between 16 and 18. Both ordinances would require youngsters to be at home by 11 PM every night of the week or possibly by 12:01 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, but no time limit has been officially set."

Apparently there was a public information meeting and tempers flared. Union County Sheriff Eddie Cathey made some good points:

"I want you to be aware that you are addressing an ordinance that is not only going to affect subdivisions, but every place in Indian Trail, said Cathey, who raised the issue of businesses that stay open past the curfew deadline of 11 p.m. If a kid wants to go to McDonald's (after curfew hours), he can't stop in Indian Trail - but he can go to Stallings."

"Cathey also mentioned that the section of the proposed ordinance which requires law enforcement to detain a child until he can be released to a parent or guardian would take up precious time that officers could use to investigate other crimes, and that involving the Department of Social Services, which is also part of the drafted ordinance, would have serious consequences. The sheriff, who said he would like to see the ordinance become totally civil and not criminal in nature, came to the meeting armed with statistics which he stated showed only nine calls from Brittany Downs East and one call from Brittany Downs Estates in the past year that would have been affected by the proposed laws."

In reading through this article, I sense that this whole issue has been brought about because of some unruly "kids" in those two subdivisions. Can anybody shed any light on this issue? Seems like Indian Trail may be trying to fix one problem, but creating an additional one. Hmm....

Last edited by marvinnative; 05-16-2007 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:38 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,744 times
I personally think that the curfew would do more good than harm. Why should a child under the age of 16 without parental supervision be allowed to run amuck into the wee hours of the night anyway? I think 11:00 is planty late if not too late for a kid to be running the streets. 10-15 years ago this would be a non issue because back than parents regulated their children better. Nowadays kids have way too much freedom and I think it's about time that someone grabbed the bull by the horns. Just my .02!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:32 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I personally think that the curfew would do more good than harm. Why should a child under the age of 16 without parental supervision be allowed to run amuck into the wee hours of the night anyway? I think 11:00 is planty late if not too late for a kid to be running the streets. 10-15 years ago this would be a non issue because back than parents regulated their children better. Nowadays kids have way too much freedom and I think it's about time that someone grabbed the bull by the horns. Just my .02!
Neo I agree with u in colorado they did the same thing for a while and well lets say it really did help oh let me add we lived there for 5.5 years...

Old 05-17-2007, 10:34 AM

396 posts, read 972,458 times
I'm all for it. Then at least I wouldn't be the only "mean mom" around since there is no way I let my now 15 y/o out past 11:00 on a weeknight. I usually don't let him out past 10:00 on weeknights now and 11:00 on weekends. There is no reason for them to be out that late at that age.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:59 AM

367 posts, read 1,029,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I totally disagree with you. I graduated from High school 21 years ago and kids aren't any different now than they were then. We stayed out late and got into mischief too. Parents weren't any better about stopping it then than they are now. A curfew would probably go along way to helping parents police their children. The really bad eggs will pay no mind to the curfew and get their parents in trouble.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,049 times
i completely disagree with it, sstarrx3 couldn't have said it any better. i mean its like excessive gun laws, the bad eggs will always find a way and that just leaves the good eggs defenseless and with out any thing to do. also what's the point i live in stallings, so ok and the if stallings has a lot of what indian trial does why bother, except for the fact the next walmart is down on sardis, quite a frikin drive which fyi i could do the same stuff at. on top of that ok I am 18 years old and this effects me, i could buy anything but alcohol. i can go any where and be drafted and or work anywhere but a bar. so i can't be out past 11 when me and my buddies just want to go to walmart and buy a movie. extremes are nuts, change the ages, 15 yr ol' good eggs or bad shouldn't be out past 11 (probably help school grades) maybe even through 17, but not 18 jeeze, so much for that ulimited lisence right

Old 10-21-2007, 02:33 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,395 times
All hail the Nanny State!

Old 10-21-2007, 02:35 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
All hail the Nanny State!
Great pun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte