Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Sorry, but just as often as it's used to show compassion "Bless your heart" and "aren't you precious" are used sarcastically in a patronizing manner.

You know this, please admit it...
Honestly, I would be happy to admit it if it were true, it's just not.

I know MANY people who use this expression on a regular basis, not to mention see southern strangers using it in places like hospitals, and they all mean it as a way to show compassion for some person or situation, REALLY.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:17 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I know MANY people who use this expression on a regular basis, not to mention see southern strangers using it in places like hospitals, and they all mean it as a way to show compassion for some person or situation, REALLY.
Well you need to tell people that use it to demean others to "cut it out!"

Gotta run. All this talking to strangers is buggin me out. Haha.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:17 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
Quote:
Sorry friend, it was obvious she was purely out for a free payday. You weren't there so you'll play devils advocat for your fellow native. But it's true, and still ridiculous.....Live and let live. To much jockeying for position and leverage. Just because you can, doesn't make it right.
No I wasn't there, but you brought it up in a topic to make some point of North vs South. if you are now saying you didn't present it in a realistic manner so this is even possible, then I don't see the point in making the post.

i.e. Your cause and effect conclusions don't hold up if your response is "OH you were not there so you can't know." LOL Call me crazy, but I think you just shot your entire long post in the foot.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:18 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,995 times
Quote:

I know these sayings can be used to show compassion.

Are you saying that they're never used in a condescending manner?

You only need to look back in this thread to find proof of what I'm saying...

Old 01-09-2010, 04:21 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:

This expression can be used for both good and bad. I have a friend from north GA(relatively close to Rome). According to him "bless your heart" is a soft way of insulting someone. I have never heard it used any other way, except out of empathy and compassion, at least on me.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
I know these sayings can be used to show compassion.

Are you saying that they're never used in a condescending manner?

You only need to look back in this thread to find proof of what I'm saying...
I answered this a few threads back when I said,

"Bless your heart" is more often a persons attempt to show compassion and sympathy to someone, though it is sometimes used as a polite way of telling someone "to kiss my grits".

Old 01-09-2010, 04:24 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
No I wasn't there, but you brought it up in a topic to make some point of North vs South. if you are now saying you didn't present it in a realistic manner so this is even possible, then I don't see the point in making the post.

i.e. Your cause and effect conclusions don't hold up if your response is "OH you were not there so you can't know." LOL Call me crazy, but I think you just shot your entire long post in the foot.
So now you're in the business of misquoting me? How did I not represent it in a realistic manner? Of course I can provide further detail if you like. Do you have any questions in particular I can answer for you?

It wasn't that I was trying to prove anything (N vs S). My post was in response to the previous car accident post. And the original car accident post was intended to cast a bad light on northerners. My post was intended as an equalizer...

Old 01-09-2010, 04:25 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Everyone knows that "bless your heart" means "go *********rself." You ain't fooling anybody.
It's all about the context, isn't it? I was just taking a page out of Steel Magnolias and not really trying to fool anybody. Someone recently said "When in Rome..."

Old 01-09-2010, 04:40 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
Quote:
So now you're in the business of misquoting me? How did I not represent it in a realistic manner? Of course I can provide further detail if you like. Do you have any questions in particular I can answer for you?

It wasn't that I was trying to prove anything (N vs S). My post was in response to the previous car accident post. And the original car accident post was intended to cast a bad light on northerners. My post was intended as an equalizer...
Son, you just said "You weren't there... " which is nothing but a dismissal of my comments to your post. I was responding to what you posted and if that doesn't reflect what happened, this isn't my fault. As you said I wasn't there.

Now you are saying you were not trying to prove anything, then in the very next breath you say that you posted it as an equalizer which the only assumption is that you were trying to prove something.

I think you just fired the second shot into your foot.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Son, you just said "You weren't there... " which is nothing but a dismissal of my comments to your post. I was responding to what you posted and if that doesn't reflect what happened, this isn't my fault. As you said I wasn't there.

Now you are saying you were not trying to prove anything, then in the very next breath you say that you posted it as an equalizer which the only assumption is that you were trying to prove something.

I think you just fired the second shot into your foot.
Alright guys, break it up. I don't even get what this has to do with the topic anyway.

Move along! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte