Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:13 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,818 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My understanding is that a lot of Long Islanders have moved to NC. Are any here and can you tell me what area of Charlotte you chose and how you like it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 12:16 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,476 times
We relocated from Plainview LI in 1998. I am not a native Long Islander (grew up in Westchester County NY) but my husband is (grew up in Hicksville area). The #1 reason we moved was for quality of life. In order to afford the tiny house we had in Plainview, we both had to work insane hours and both kids were in daycare 10+ hours a day. My husband is in banking, so we started looking around for different areas to live, and Charlotte popped up. We first moved to South Charlotte and now we live in Union County. WE LOVE IT HERE!! Just as I believe that when you're young and single there's no better place than NYC, I also believe that the Charlotte area is a great place to raise a family. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and best of luck to you

Old 01-04-2007, 12:25 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
We relocated from Plainview LI in 1998. I am not a native Long Islander (grew up in Westchester County NY) but my husband is (grew up in Hicksville area). The #1 reason we moved was for quality of life. In order to afford the tiny house we had in Plainview, we both had to work insane hours and both kids were in daycare 10+ hours a day. My husband is in banking, so we started looking around for different areas to live, and Charlotte popped up. We first moved to South Charlotte and now we live in Union County. WE LOVE IT HERE!! Just as I believe that when you're young and single there's no better place than NYC, I also believe that the Charlotte area is a great place to raise a family. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and best of luck to you
PM on it's way

Thanks

Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 PM

48 posts, read 151,217 times
Well I grew up out in Stoney Brook and most recently lived in Huntington. I love the Weddington/Waxhaw/Wesley Chapel area myself. Lots of open spaces, new stores, great cultural make up. Just reminds me a lot of home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
Hello,

My understanding is that a lot of Long Islanders have moved to NC. Are any here and can you tell me what area of Charlotte you chose and how you like it?

Thanks

Old 01-04-2007, 04:26 PM

57 posts, read 298,947 times
I'm moving from the Northport/Huntington NY area to Denver NC. We chose Lake Norman because it still would give us the boating/recreational opportunities that we had living near Huntington Bay and had more of a rural feel that parts of the Northshore of LI have.

I guess that area made us feel like we were in our comfort zone.

We actually never ventured to the Waxhaw/Weddington areas. With all the good things that people have posted on this board about that area, I'm afraid if I do visit that area, I'll have buyer's remorse about having bought in Denver so quickly.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:54 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingNY View Post
I'm moving from the Northport/Huntington NY area to Denver NC. We chose Lake Norman because it still would give us the boating/recreational opportunities that we had living near Huntington Bay and had more of a rural feel that parts of the Northshore of LI have.

I guess that area made us feel like we were in our comfort zone.

We actually never ventured to the Waxhaw/Weddington areas. With all the good things that people have posted on this board about that area, I'm afraid if I do visit that area, I'll have buyer's remorse about having bought in Denver so quickly.
I live in Denver. I dont think youll have too much buyers remorse. As the 16 and 73 intersection builds up development will bring a Walmart and Lowes this year, with other stuff quick to follow Im sure.

On the down side, Denver will lose its status as "the quiet side of the lake."

Old 01-04-2007, 05:02 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,806,426 times
We have lived in two parts of suffold county ; shirley and patchogue and medford for clsoe to 14 years. We hope to be in Denver by July as our house is under construction there.
The reason we are leaving ; make that super high taxes, a school system that is awful. We have a few houses here and pay close to a total of $20,000 in taxes per year ; our kids still go to Catholic school.It is getting so expensive here.
We choose Denver as it is close to the lake ; we love water, the development is lovely and the people are so nice. It is laid back, but still close enough to a large city.
dorothy

Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 PM

221 posts, read 746,770 times
I have not moved yet, but I have been looking in Marvin & Weddington. It seems so beautiful. New shops, new construction homes that are 1/2 price than Long Island. And don't even get me started about real estate taxes. I have researched the schools and they seem to have very good scores and reputation.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:27 AM

58 posts, read 229,459 times
I am moving from Franklin Square Long island next month. My house ready and I cannot wait. In and around Mooresville you would not believe how many people there are from Long Island. But even with out them everyone I have met so far has been freindly. My new next door neighbors in Troutman are from Jersey so we have a ready made freindship already, I cannot wait to move!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2007, 07:58 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,978 times
We moved here from Hauppauge 3 months ago; we lived on Long Island for almost 12 years (originally from Queens). If it was up to my husband, we would have moved down here 2 years ago but I was so afraid of making the move, and being far away from family and friends. Although we do miss our family and friends, we are so happy we made the decision to move. We moved to Matthews (Union County side) because my husband had been offered an opportunity in Charlotte so we had done our research on schools, taxes, etc. Our main reason for moving here was for the quality of life. It was a constant rat race up north. And even though there are many northerners here in this area, everyone has pretty much acclamated themselves to the southern way of living. We personally have come to appreciate what the south is like and what it has to offer and we are very pleased to be here. I wish you all the best of luck with your decision to move. Just keep in mind, prices of homes are going up as I'm sure taxes and other things will. And even though it will never catch up to Long Island's steady pace of increases in cost, it will eventually become a bit costly to buy as opposed to what it was several years ago. Again, best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte