Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:39 PM

769 posts, read 2,220,069 times

Advertisements

Tire chains are not illegal in NC -

"...it shall be permissible to use tire chains of reasonable proportions upon any vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice or other conditions tending to cause a vehicle to slide or skid."

GS_20-122

Old 01-31-2010, 07:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As you know, I am right off Carmel, inside the city limits, and our streets don't get plowed. I have been here for 8 winters now, including the winter of 2002, when our power was off on 2 occasions, once - for five days - due to a terrible ice storm.

No scraping.

I kept waiting for the trucks and they never came. However, it did warm up and the ice was actually gone before our power was restored.
Exactly - neighborhood streets do not get plowed here - only major arteries like Independence, Sharon Amity, hwy 51, etc...

Like Mullman said earlier on this thread - people need to chill out - enjoy the time off with their families - make some s'mores, throw some chicken in the crock pot (which I actually did this weekend, lol).

Old 01-31-2010, 07:48 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
sigh....

Are you too telling us that YOUR nieghborhood street in Fairies Farms, the one you live on, has been plowed, during this storm or any other?
they have, in the past. Not this year, but, then, our major road coming into the subdivision is closed and if they did not even salt the roads coming that are required to be driven on to come into the subdivision, they sure did not plow our street.

Again, all I am saying is that it is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Just one big lawsuit (or a series of small ones) will get those plows/salt trucks/snow shovels out no matter where you live...because taking care of the property is sure a lot cheaper than paying the settlement.

I would guess that the company whose truck went out of control on I-77 and almost went into the lake (I think it was a USPS truck) will be looking at a lawsuit against whomever is responsible for the upkeep of that road. It would only make sense given the condition of the road.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
Tire chains are not illegal in NC -

"...it shall be permissible to use tire chains of reasonable proportions upon any vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice or other conditions tending to cause a vehicle to slide or skid."

GS_20-122
Thanx, Ellemaew!

We were REQUIRED one winter in Boone to either have studded tires or snow chains on and LE most certainly DID ticket folks if they didn't have them on. That was the winter of 1977 I believe. That winter was so bad, they closed ASU for the first time. And since then, I had to use chains to get out from our mountain house once in the mid 90s, I believe.

I keep chains in my car, as well as a little ramp-like thing that one puts under the back tire for traction. Having been in distressing situations in the past, I would rather be prepared than not.

I have even put chains on my Jeep before - when pulling someone out of a ditch (near Boone).

Haven't used them here in Charlotte and I doubt I ever will - but it is a recourse for folks who are concerned about getting out of icy driveways or parking lots.

However, it strains my imagination to perceive why anyone NEEDS to be out in this weather, unless you are a healthcare worker or someone who works at a place like Duke Power, where 24/7 coverage is needed.

Heading to Starbucks is not an emergency.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Exactly - neighborhood streets do not get plowed here - only major arteries like Independence, Sharon Amity, hwy 51, etc...

Like Mullman said earlier on this thread - people need to chill out - enjoy the time off with their families - make some s'mores, throw some chicken in the crock pot (which I actually did this weekend, lol).
Don't have the time/money to do that. Time off when it is not necessary is wasted time. Wasted time= wasted money. Money is too hard to come by these days to waste it!

Luckily, that did not apply to me as I was off work anyway. But, there were thousands of people that lost a day's wages (or two),businesses that could not open, sales tax not generated. It was a huge revenue loss for the city/county/state and not necessary.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,881 times
A postscript to what I said earlier. My mom up until she left her house in her late 80's always had a snowblower and used it, perhaps weekly, from January through March because she wanted to go to early mass every morning.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-01-2010 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: The political comments aren't necessary.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
they have, in the past. Not this year, but, then, our major road coming into the subdivision is closed and if they did not even salt the roads coming that are required to be driven on to come into the subdivision, they sure did not plow our street.

Again, all I am saying is that it is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Just one big lawsuit (or a series of small ones) will get those plows/salt trucks/snow shovels out no matter where you live...because taking care of the property is sure a lot cheaper than paying the settlement.

I would guess that the company whose truck went out of control on I-77 and almost went into the lake (I think it was a USPS truck) will be looking at a lawsuit against whomever is responsible for the upkeep of that road. It would only make sense given the condition of the road.
Surely you don't believe that re: a lawsuit!

Weather is an act of God! Unless someone is standing there 24/7 with salt/brine, sand and a scraper, any one area of any road can ice over within minutes of being scraped, sanded, etc.

And the national weather service had put out an advisory flatly stating that folks travel AT THEIR OWN PERIL.

Those trucks could have pulled off the road instead of being out trying to make a schedule.

I believe the only folks that would have even vague grounds for lawsuits would be the drivers, if they were being pushed by their employers (if they are employed and not contractors) to make a deadline delivery, rather than observe the national weather service's warning. Maybe they could sue their employers for putting them in a perilous situation, but they had free will and could have refused so . . . even that seems like a stretch.

As I said earlier, this thing about needing stuff cleared off in case of an emergency - or fear of getting sued b/c some tenant was outside when they should have been inside - doesn't even make sense.

That logic would maintain if someone is fool enough to be outside when there is a lightning storm and gets hit by lightning, the landlord gets sued b/c there were not enuff lightning rods to ensure that the lightning didn't hit the tenant.

However, I am glad you brought this up b/c this has been the whole contention of the OP - that someone should be held responsible for not clearing off his driveway/parking lot. My contention is: why aren't people held responsible for being irresponsible? Don't go outside and you won't fall down on ice.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-31-2010 at 08:05 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Don't have the time/money to do that. Time off when it is not necessary is wasted time. Wasted time= wasted money. Money is too hard to come by these days to waste it!

Luckily, that did not apply to me as I was off work anyway. But, there were thousands of people that lost a day's wages (or two),businesses that could not open, sales tax not generated. It was a huge revenue loss for the city/county/state and not necessary.
And your point is that if everyone were required to clean off parking lots, all these businesses would have been open? Even tho the national weather service and all local media had repeatedly advised that the roads themselves (forget the parking lots!) were in dubious condition?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:02 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,748 times
I will say this, the entry and exit road to our community was extremely icy. I saw numerous cars exiting the community and sliding right out onto the main road.

I will and I know others will be bringing this up at the next meeting. At the very least, throw down some salt/sand at the entrance of the community. As I was driving past other communities, I was waiting for someone to come sliding out in front of me.

How was your community entrance?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
A postscript to what I said earlier. My mom up until she left her house in her late 80's always had a snowblower and used it, perhaps weekly, from January through March because she wanted to go to early mass every morning.
Your mom sounds like my kind of lady

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-01-2010 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte