Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I will say this, the entry and exit road to our community was extremely icy. I saw numerous cars exiting the community and sliding right out onto the main road.

I will and I know others will be bringing this up at the next meeting. At the very least, throw down some salt/sand at the entrance of the community. As I was driving past other communities, I was waiting for someone to come sliding out in front of me.

How was your community entrance?
I don't know. I stayed inside.

Now my son got out today and said no problem. Are you saying you and other folks were out in this on Saturday?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:07 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Ani, this is a very common occurrence up north. One mayor in Chicago was voted out due to the high number of lawsuits the city had to settle because she cut back on the plowing services. It is well known that anytime anyone sets foot on your property YOU are liable if they get hurt, no matter who is at fault. (a big reason why I am very much against anyone being on my property without permission).

and, yes, most apartment buildings have lightning rods.

I truly would be shocked if that company did NOT sue. It surely would be warranted. The road conditions were deplorable and that road should have been shut down if they could not maintain it properly. On the other hand, this might be the situation that changes the lax attitude concerning these kinds of things. Like I said, it will only take a large lawsuit or a series of smaller ones to change the whole process.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
There is no law in NC that places a liability on any property owner or municipality for ice and snow. There is absolutely a requirement for anyone driving a vehicle in NC to adjust their driving accordingly for conditions. This means that if there is ice and snow on the road you have to drive with that in mind. Hence in a court of law, if you have a single car accident with your vehicle on ice, snow, wet conditions, whatever, it is your fault. It is not the fault of the owner of said property because snow, ice, rain, etc. had fallen on the property.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And your point is that if everyone were required to clean off parking lots, all these businesses would have been open? Even tho the national weather service and all local media had repeatedly advised that the roads themselves (forget the parking lots!) were in dubious condition?
of course they would be open because there would not be any need for those kinds of warnings if the streets/parking lots, etc were clear.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Ani, this is a very common occurrence up north. One mayor in Chicago was voted out due to the high number of lawsuits the city had to settle because she cut back on the plowing services. It is well known that anytime anyone sets foot on your property YOU are liable if they get hurt, no matter who is at fault. (a big reason why I am very much against anyone being on my property without permission).

and, yes, most apartment buildings have lightning rods.

I truly would be shocked if that company did NOT sue. It surely would be warranted. The road conditions were deplorable and that road should have been shut down if they could not maintain it properly. On the other hand, this might be the situation that changes the lax attitude concerning these kinds of things. Like I said, it will only take a large lawsuit or a series of smaller ones to change the whole process.
Just wondering...is the rest of Illinois this sue happy??

I just cannot imagine living in a place like that.

And I'm also wondering how your neighborhood street got plowed?? Did your HOA contract out for this by chance?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:12 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Ani, this is a very common occurrence up north. One mayor in Chicago was voted out due to the high number of lawsuits the city had to settle because she cut back on the plowing services. ...
You are referring to Jane Byrne, the only woman mayor of Chicago. She wasn't voted out, she was voted in because the current mayor failed to remove snow and caused the city to become essentially paralysed. He was not forced out by lawsuits, I doubt there were many if any lawsuits since this was the 1970s, but people were pissed off greatly. People gave Byrne little chance of winning against the political machine until she capitalized on his inept handling of several bad snowstorms as this is important to a city such as Chicago. This was a lesson learnt and every mayor since then has put snow removal at the top of the list.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
of course they would be open because there would not be any need for those kinds of warnings if the streets/parking lots, etc were clear.
You have lost me, CHI.

I stated that the roads themselves made it dangerous for folks to be out, so if folks can't get out on roads in safety, there are going to be no patrons, and therefore, no need for parking lots, cleared or not.

Ice is something that NO MUNICIPALITY can easily deal with, and especially not one that cannot justify hundreds of millions of dollars of snow removal equipment, brining equipment, storage areas for same and personnel to operate the equipment.

Think of what you are saying. Just gearing up to have the hundreds of folks necessary to accomplish this on a few hours notice would necessitate calling out the national guard. You can't keep these folks on your payroll 365 days a year when they are not even gonna be called in to work 2 x a year!

Have you ever seen the storage buildings where heavy equipment is stored? I have!!! We are talking acres and acres of storage just for the equipment.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:17 PM

I know many people who have sued for smaller things....and have gotten large settlements. My own mother was active in several lawsuits in her life.

I only would agree if it were warranted.

and, yes, I AM entitled to services. I pay property taxes. The city forces my subdivision to be part of an HOA so I have to pay extra fees to keep the common areas cut and maintained because they don't do it (something I think is ludicrous, but, I digress) I expect to be able to be reasonably safe and be able to drive to work or to the store when I want to. They don't clean or sweep the streets, the least they can do is plow them when it snows!! That is what I pay taxes for. If I didn't pay taxes and expected the services anyway, that would be "entitlement" mentality. However, I am paying my hard-earned dollars (as are all of you) and we should be able to reasonably expect to maintain our lives without problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte