Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:43 PM

4 posts, read 17,851 times

Advertisements

OK, I just posted something and had one more simple question...

Has anyone seen or desired Italian Ices in Charlotte? Silly question I know but we're wondering, lol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 06:19 AM

240 posts, read 1,033,647 times
I've found 1 NY italian ices place in downtown Waxhaw called Uncle Sonny's. It's pretty good. They have their ices shipped in daily from some ices place in NY (not sure which place... I've asked, but the owner hasn't been in the couple of times I've been at the store, and the other employees had no idea). They're also a bit on the expensive side, which I'm guessing is due to the shipping costs from NY.

If you like Philadelphia water ice, which is pretty similar to NY italian ices (just a little softer... half way between a slush and NY italian ices), there's a very good place in downtown Matthews called the Philadelphia Water Ice Factory. They have numerous flavors, taste very good, and the prices are very reasonable.

Outside of those 2 places, I haven't found much in the way of water ice or italian ice. You'll find ice cream places everywhere (Coldstone Creamery, arble Slab Creamery, etc), but the ices are a much tougher find!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:22 AM

474 posts, read 1,749,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCBound View Post

Has anyone seen or desired Italian Ices in Charlotte? Silly question I know but we're wondering, lol.

I've seen it in local grocery stores. There's two major brands - Luigi's and one other who's name escapes me. One company is a local mom and pop who's sales really took off. There was an article in the paper about them a while back. We occasionally buy Italian ice but wouldn't go out of our way or make a special trip to get it.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:25 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,729 times
Lindy's Italian Ice is the other local manufacturer who's product is sold in the grocery stores...typically right next to Luigis. I've seen them at Harris Teeter and Lowes Foods.

Not like the the creamy Italian Ice like we used to get in Brooklyn and Long Island which had cream added, like the King of Corona Brand, but they'll do in a pinch!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:08 PM

431 posts, read 1,669,117 times
Lemon Ice King of Corona!!! ahhhh. The peanut butter ice was ridiculous. Watermelon had real seeds in it. Hands down the best

Old 05-28-2007, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 73,206 times
Default Italian ice

Luigis is in most Charlotte area grocery stores. It's made in Charlotte. My company sells it as well. Good product. I've been to the plant and they use good products.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 17,851 times
Default Cool!

Thanks everyone for your input! That's exactly the info I wanted and its very helpful. Man am I happy to have found this forum.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCBound View Post

Try the Water Ice Factory

163 S. Trade St. Matthews

Old 05-29-2007, 02:12 PM

162 posts, read 401,136 times
Cardillo's Kitchen on Elm Lane in south Charlotte has Italian Ice too.
Cardillos_Kitchen

Old 06-04-2007, 01:41 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,979 times
Red face Huntersville

I heard there is an Italian Ice place opening up in Huntersville. Seems like it will be where the new construction is at Gillead, by the hospital. Is it Torrence Village?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte