Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcookie View Post
When you do please post your opinions in this thread so I can see what you thought of it!
If you are asking about that website you posted then here is my response. There is no perspective on that website except that I noticed that most of the negative comments were coming from people who don't live here. What few I read seemed to revolve around the individual's personal issues relative to their inability to make a life here, and we don't know if this is due to their issue or something that is really wrong with this area.

I personally don't put much stock in those kinds of places because personal anecdotes can't be challenged or questioned. We have over 1.5M people who are living is this metro and I don't see people packing their bags up and moving away in mass numbers. In fact we get questions on this forum every day about people who are moving here. I would rather answer questions about Charlotte that you may have vs offering up opinions of other people's opinions of Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 07:52 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
...unless someone can shed some real non-biased relative light on this...
I moved here from Lansing, MI (where I'd lived my entire life up until then) 3 years ago. So, I have a pretty strong base to compare CLT vs. the Midwest. What, specifically are you looking to get answered?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Pbcookie, it seems to me that you are just looking for something to be wrong where you want to move. Look, every place has its problems and there will be unhappy people everywhere. Look at Fort Wayne! When I went to the website of "things to do" for Fort Wayne, it looked to me like a great place to live with tons of stuff to do; however, you hate it there. If you rated Fort Wayne on that same website you used to look up Charlotte, it would look the same as what we read about Charlotte.

If your negative info came from people who live here, why ask people who live here if it's true? How about this: it's beautiful spring in NC right now with typical abundant sunshine, flowers blooming, and tons of people out and about. Why not come down for a visit and decide for yourself? Visit the University and see if you feel like you're in a ghetto. Talk to people in person and decide if you think they are obese, country, or slow. Participate in one of the several thousand activities we have around the city daily and then decide if there is nothing for you to do here.

Every situation is what you make of it. If you want to move here and have a positive experience, then have a positive attitude about it! Best of luck w/your decision!!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:45 AM

104 posts, read 184,603 times
Another suggestion for Pbcookie: If you're weary of UNC-Charlotte, why not just go to UNC-Chapel Hill or N.C. State (Raleigh area, obviously)? It's pretty much undisputed that those are both really nice schools to go to. Personally, I love Charlotte. But you seem hesitant about coming here. In that case, check out another place.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:13 AM

66 posts, read 202,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
If you are asking about that website you posted then here is my response. There is no perspective on that website except that I noticed that most of the negative comments were coming from people who don't live here. What few I read seemed to revolve around the individual's personal issues relative to their inability to make a life here, and we don't know if this is due to their issue or something that is really wrong with this area.

I personally don't put much stock in those kinds of places because personal anecdotes can't be challenged or questioned. We have over 1.5M people who are living is this metro and I don't see people packing their bags up and moving away in mass numbers. In fact we get questions on this forum every day about people who are moving here. I would rather answer questions about Charlotte that you may have vs offering up opinions of other people's opinions of Charlotte.
Thank you. You're right. A small handful out of 1.5 million is quite small. Can you tell me the areas in Charlotte that I should stay away from? I plan to rent and my range is up to $900 for a 2br. Also, how are the winters there? I've read varying info, so I'd rather find out from someone who lives there. Is there a lot of snow? If you had to guess what would you say the average temperatures are throughout the year? Thanks again.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I moved here from Lansing, MI (where I'd lived my entire life up until then) 3 years ago. So, I have a pretty strong base to compare CLT vs. the Midwest. What, specifically are you looking to get answered?

Oh my gosh thanks! You being from here know what the Midwestern culture is like. In contrast, how is Charlotte's? Are there any similarities? Crime. In Fort Wayne, we have a lot of crime here, but it is swept under the rug and hardly ever reported on the news. Which leads people to believe it's very safe. Fort Wayne is extremely small compared to Charlotte. Are the crimes that you hear about in Charlotte unusual to you because of the crimes you heard about where you came from? How is the weather? The pollen count in Fort Wayne is pretty low compared to most places this time of year, I've heard Charlotte's is high, but does it really affect you? I also want to know areas of town I should stay away from or areas you'd recommend me checking out. I have a 4 year old that loves going outdoors, and I'm a single mother. I'm looking to rent a 2br apt in the $900 price range. I also wanted to know how you would compare public schools (elementary, middle, etc.) to public schools in the Midwest. I know that would be a blanket response so generally speaking from your personal opinion. And have you heard anything about UNC if so what? I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Pbcookie, it seems to me that you are just looking for something to be wrong where you want to move. Look, every place has its problems and there will be unhappy people everywhere. Look at Fort Wayne! When I went to the website of "things to do" for Fort Wayne, it looked to me like a great place to live with tons of stuff to do; however, you hate it there. If you rated Fort Wayne on that same website you used to look up Charlotte, it would look the same as what we read about Charlotte.

If your negative info came from people who live here, why ask people who live here if it's true? How about this: it's beautiful spring in NC right now with typical abundant sunshine, flowers blooming, and tons of people out and about. Why not come down for a visit and decide for yourself? Visit the University and see if you feel like you're in a ghetto. Talk to people in person and decide if you think they are obese, country, or slow. Participate in one of the several thousand activities we have around the city daily and then decide if there is nothing for you to do here.

Every situation is what you make of it. If you want to move here and have a positive experience, then have a positive attitude about it! Best of luck w/your decision!!
Thanks. And that's what I've been doing. That's what I started this thread for. I - from what I can tell - love Charlotte. But reading all the negative comments I wanted to find out from people living there if it's true. Also, all the money I'm saving for my move has to go to that. I know it's not the best thing to do, but I can't take away from my moving fund to come and visit because then it would take me longer to move and I really have to get out of here. Thanks for your response.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthemoment View Post
If I were to make a move, I am looking at the Lake Wylie, or Norman areas (have a need for water being from the great lakes area).
I highly suggest you determine which lake you're going to focus on based on where you are commuting to. The rush hour traffic off 77 at Lake Norman is extremely heavy, and if you don't have to deal with it, you're doing yourself a huge favor.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
We do get a lot of pollen here but 1/4" thick is an EXTREME exaggeration
It does to its a fact ill prove with photos once the oak trees start to bloom the pollen
we see now is just a daily coating of yellow and since right now there no
wind its just stagnent.
They are planning to call this area under code orange because of
all the stagnent pollution.

'
'

'

Old 04-05-2010, 11:46 AM

104 posts, read 184,603 times
Quote:
Thank you. You're right. A small handful out of 1.5 million is quite small. Can you tell me the areas in Charlotte that I should stay away from? I plan to rent and my range is up to $900 for a 2br. Also, how are the winters there? I've read varying info, so I'd rather find out from someone who lives there. Is there a lot of snow? If you had to guess what would you say the average temperatures are throughout the year? Thanks again.
You living in Indiana (I'm from Illinois), you definitely won't think Charlotte gets a lot of snow. It doesn't. This winter was considered a cold one here with lots of snow, though we really only got 2-3 snow falls, each less than two inches (at least I think so) and the snow doesn't stay long. As for average winter temperatures, from the two winters I've been here, it seems to average in the 40s during the day during the coldest parts of January and February, and at night it gets below 32, but by Midwest standards, that's nothing. For a more accurate report, try checking out Weather.com to see if they show average temperatures in different cities in different months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte