Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM

66 posts, read 202,368 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Charlotte, but before I do I want to ask some questions. I have a few concerns just from what I've been reading. So if anyone could please help with your experience or knowledge, I'd appreciate it. First off, my son has extremely bad allergic reactions to pollen. He almost died when we lived in Virginia because of the trees and pollen surrounding his school playground and had to get a shot to make him breathe again. I heard Charlotte is worse. Is this true? Because if it is there'd be no point in me moving there.

Is Charlotte "country"? It's pretty close to Durham and I know imho that Durham is country. How would you compare Charlotte? I currently live in the Midwest and I hate it here! On top of the weather, the people tend to be slow and closeminded and too comfortable with life-as-is. There's nothing wrong with contentment, but if you're life sucks, I don't believe in keeping it that way just because.

I heard Charlotte was slow-paced and has a high obese population. Nothing wrong with that, but usually when there's a lot of people that aren't health-conscious, it's a sign that they are lax in other areas of life as well. Such as what I described above about the Midwest.

I plan to attend UNC-Charlotte. I heard this school was ghetto, the academics were lackluster, and it's in a dangerous area. Is this true? Has anyone recently, or does anyone attend school there? What's your opinion about UNCC?

Next, cost of living. From what I see housing is pretty cheap which is great. Do most apartments have washers and dryers in them, or just hookups? Are electric bills high? What's your average electric bill every month and please tell me the size of your home. What about jobs? Are the plentiful? I don't mind working a part time job while in school. How bad is the economy there? Would you say it's relatively easy for a single mother to prosper there working and being in school?

Lastly, things to do. I've seen the Charlotte website. Looks great, but I'm wondering if there's more to do. Another reason I hate where I live is there is NOTHING to do. The same plays at the same theatre which is the only one in town. Festival of lights during Christmas, a few chain restaurants (and not even really good ones), two movie theatres . . . you get the point. What kinds of things do you do for amusement or when you're bored. Parks, sports, beaches, city events, festivals . .. ? Anything? Would you say there is a lot to do there? Is Charlotte a good place to have fun if you want, is it upbeat yet still a good place to raise a family?

Also, would you describe Charlotte as racist? And that goes both ways. I hate ignorance from any side. Have you had any racist experiences?

I know this is a lot!! lol. But if you could answer whatever you can it'd be great! Thanks in advance everyone!

Oh almost forgot! I heard about Charlotte being a city of churches. I love the Lord, but I hate people that play church just because it's the thing to do, but in the real home life they are no closer to God than an earthworm underneath soil is close to Jupiter. I had an experience like that when living in Nashville and am NOT eager to repeat it. Is Charlotte one of those places that you are required to be the typical "Christian" like everyone else or be the spawn of Satan? Is there a way of life there other than religion? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Charlotte has about the same trees & flowers as Virginia in a few
weeks Ill take picture of the visible tree pollen as it gets thick
turns cars & decks yellow. Up to 1/4 inch in spots.
If it was me and I really cared about
my kids well being I would not choose North Carolina but a state
like Arizona, Phoenix perhaps where the Spring season isnt as
vibrant as it is here.
Just my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcookie View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Charlotte, but before I do I want to ask some questions. I have a few concerns just from what I've been reading. So if anyone could please help with your experience or knowledge, I'd appreciate it. First off, my son has extremely bad allergic reactions to pollen. He almost died when we lived in Virginia because of the trees and pollen surrounding his school playground and had to get a shot to make him breathe again. I heard Charlotte is worse. Is this true? Because if it is there'd be no point in me moving there.

Is Charlotte "country"? It's pretty close to Durham and I know imho that Durham is country. How would you compare Charlotte? I currently live in the Midwest and I hate it here! On top of the weather, the people tend to be slow and closeminded and too comfortable with life-as-is. There's nothing wrong with contentment, but if you're life sucks, I don't believe in keeping it that way just because.

I heard Charlotte was slow-paced and has a high obese population. Nothing wrong with that, but usually when there's a lot of people that aren't health-conscious, it's a sign that they are lax in other areas of life as well. Such as what I described above about the Midwest.

I plan to attend UNC-Charlotte. I heard this school was ghetto, the academics were lackluster, and it's in a dangerous area. Is this true? Has anyone recently, or does anyone attend school there? What's your opinion about UNCC?

Next, cost of living. From what I see housing is pretty cheap which is great. Do most apartments have washers and dryers in them, or just hookups? Are electric bills high? What's your average electric bill every month and please tell me the size of your home. What about jobs? Are the plentiful? I don't mind working a part time job while in school. How bad is the economy there? Would you say it's relatively easy for a single mother to prosper there working and being in school?

Lastly, things to do. I've seen the Charlotte website. Looks great, but I'm wondering if there's more to do. Another reason I hate where I live is there is NOTHING to do. The same plays at the same theatre which is the only one in town. Festival of lights during Christmas, a few chain restaurants (and not even really good ones), two movie theatres . . . you get the point. What kinds of things do you do for amusement or when you're bored. Parks, sports, beaches, city events, festivals . .. ? Anything? Would you say there is a lot to do there? Is Charlotte a good place to have fun if you want, is it upbeat yet still a good place to raise a family?

Also, would you describe Charlotte as racist? And that goes both ways. I hate ignorance from any side. Have you had any racist experiences?

I know this is a lot!! lol. But if you could answer whatever you can it'd be great! Thanks in advance everyone!

Oh almost forgot! I heard about Charlotte being a city of churches. I love the Lord, but I hate people that play church just because it's the thing to do, but in the real home life they are no closer to God than an earthworm underneath soil is close to Jupiter. I had an experience like that when living in Nashville and am NOT eager to repeat it. Is Charlotte one of those places that you are required to be the typical "Christian" like everyone else or be the spawn of Satan? Is there a way of life there other than religion? Thanks!

Old 03-31-2010, 05:53 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Default Is it me, or do you already have a negative attitude?

Wow ... did you just throw a dart at the USA map and go with where it landed before doing any research?

1. Pollen - YES very high pollen in the air. I'm from MI and lived in OH, never had allergy problems. This month in NC my allergies went crazy. I've heard others in the area with similar experience.

2. No, Charlotte is not "country" in the sense that you're thinking like rural Midwest. There are some rural areas that are similar, but the city itself has a lot to offer. And no, Charlotte is not 'pretty close' to Durham - have you looked at a map?

3. Most of the south is slow paced, that is where some of the charm is. I don't think Charlotte is any more obese than Midwest cities.

4. I can't answer anything about UNCC as I don't go there or live near campus.

5. Cost of living, IMHO, is higher than rural Midwest. My rent is higher, my electric is similar, gas is about the same per unit cost - you just use less in the winter, but you use higher electric in the summer, water is similar. Taxes are higher than Ohio's income tax, and NC has personal property tax on large items owned such as dogs purchased from breeder, vehicles, etc.

6. Jobs -- IN's unemployment rate 10.6%, NC's unemployment rate 11.8%. NO jobs are NOT plentiful.

7. things to do: there are things to do no matter where you live... I lived in NW Ohio that is flat as a pancake and pretty low key. Yet, I always found something to do. Same with Charlotte .. there is plenty to do, you just have to want to get out there to find out. Plus 3-4 hrs from beach, 2 hrs from mountains. There are several sports teams in Charlotte as well.

8. raising family: schools are not as good down here as they are in the north, but overall nice place to live.

9. I can't answer the racist question.

10. there are a lot of churches here and many of the natives are very committed to their church.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:13 PM

174 posts, read 404,008 times
Worst Cities for Spring Allergies - Allergies: Allergy Symptoms, Treatment, and Medications on MedicineNet.com (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=46844 - broken link)

Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM

Sigh. Wow. I'm glad I asked. Pollen that covers cars and decks? That's awful. Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate you all's honesty.

Sunny Kayak,
Thanks! Have you ever lived in Phoenix? How do you know this is a better choice (allergies)?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:40 PM

weather is dry low humidity and the type of plants are more desert like

Reason I chose Phoenix it one of those city that seem to
weather good during this recession
Good luck with where ever you go

Old 03-31-2010, 06:45 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,060 times
Quote:
First off, my son has extremely bad allergic reactions to pollen. He almost died when we lived in Virginia because of the trees and pollen surrounding his school playground and had to get a shot to make him breathe again. I heard Charlotte is worse. Is this true? Because if it is there'd be no point in me moving there.
If it really is a life or death situation, shouldn't you already know what parts of the country are out of bounds?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I am an NC native and suffered from allergies all my life. I mean - from the time I was a child, I was given allergy shots (never helped me - too many allergies to create a serum that was effective). I ended up on prednisone many times b/c of severe upper respiratory problems. I moved to Kansas and had years of no allergy problems. So many of the plants I am highly allergic to are not there. And, I didn't encounter mold/fungi as often in KS.

I moved back here and have had problems ever since. I love Spring and it is beautiful here! But I do not like taking steroids at all - and I also do not like chronic sinusitis and bronchial problems. As much as I love being back in NC . . . dealing with the allergies is a very real issue.

Think twice if your son has allergy problems.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 PM

I really appreciate this info. That sucks pretty bad, because I was really starting to get excited about moving there. I guess I had my reservations for a reason . . .

Sunny, so you live in Phoenix now? I thought about moving there too. What is it like there? Could you pm me and let me know? Thanks.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I really appreciate this info. That sucks pretty bad, because I was really starting to get excited about moving there. I guess I had my reservations for a reason . . .

Sunny, so you live in Phoenix now? I thought about moving there too. What is it like there? Could you pm me and let me know? Thanks.
I never been and to be honest Im basing my decision off the
Money Magazine show on CNN.
I remember that city as I was impressed with the report
something about jobs & cost of home & living.
Best Places to Live 2009 - City details: Phoenix, AZ - from MONEY Magazine

This town came to mind when you mention your child condition.
Charlotte great has a lot to offer but far as your child health I
think he may be miserable here 95 degrees feels so much different
in Phoenix ( I know this as I have relatives along west coast)
Also look into places like Austin

AS an Asthmatic (pretty much grew out of) Im trying to think
of options for you only place I do great is at the beach but if Im
in the town of Wilmington.. too many plants is why I didnt recommend our coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte