Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 PM

78 posts, read 125,112 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering relocating to Charlotte in the early spring of next year from South Jersey. I realize that the cost of living in the area is much cheaper than here in Jersey. I am curious to know of a good suburban neighborhood that would be good to raise an 8 year old little girl? So I'm interested in school's, employment, low crime area's, things to do in the area. Basically the pro's and the con's of Charlotte. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9181 View Post
Hi, I am considering relocating to Charlotte in the early spring of next year from South Jersey. I realize that the cost of living in the area is much cheaper than here in Jersey. I am curious to know of a good suburban neighborhood that would be good to raise an 8 year old little girl? So I'm interested in school's, employment, low crime area's, things to do in the area. Basically the pro's and the con's of Charlotte. Thanks in advance.
Hey John, I came down from South Jersey. Cost of living about averages out here, but car insurance is lower (of course, you knew that) & property taxes are much lower.

Are you in the Philly suburbs? I came down from Cherry Hill.

What kind of work will you be looking for? This factors into helping you, as it's a bit different here. The metro is huge. Right now the employment can be sketchy, depending on what you are looking for. Let's start with that.

By the way, my condolences on the new governor.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Hey John, I came down from South Jersey. Cost of living about averages out here, but car insurance is lower (of course, you knew that) & property taxes are much lower.

Are you in the Philly suburbs? I came down from Cherry Hill.

What kind of work will you be looking for? This factors into helping you, as it's a bit different here. The metro is huge. Right now the employment can be sketchy, depending on what you are looking for. Let's start with that.

By the way, my condolences on the new governor.
I'm in Florence, NJ right off of Rt. 130. It's a nice quiet area for the most part. Good location. I'm about 20 minutes away from Cherry Hill if I'm taking 295 south. Yeah, I'm very aware of the low car insurance. It's rediculous here. The cheaper cost of living excites me. Paying $1,900 for a 2 bedroom home is a bit high lol. I'm interested in getting back into the airline line of work. I use to work for American Airlines for 5 years. But I'm willing to do almost anything from the current and common warehouse work I'm doing now. What are some successful fields of work in Charlotte? And also, my gf works in medical billing and coding. I'm pretty sure she will continue that in Charlotte.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I'm in Florence, NJ right off of Rt. 130. It's a nice quiet area for the most part. Good location. I'm about 20 minutes away from Cherry Hill if I'm taking 295 south. Yeah, I'm very aware of the low car insurance. It's rediculous here. The cheaper cost of living excites me. Paying $1,900 for a 2 bedroom home is a bit high lol. I'm interested in getting back into the airline line of work. I use to work for American Airlines for 5 years. But I'm willing to do almost anything from the current and common warehouse work I'm doing now. What are some successful fields of work in Charlotte? And also, my gf works in medical billing and coding. I'm pretty sure she will continue that in Charlotte.
I'm very familiar with Florence. Actually, your property tax is a bargain compared to what I was paying in Cherry Hill.

Are you OK with continuing to live out a bit? (no more than Florence is from Philly)

You're going to need this: http://www.greatschools.org/

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-08-2010 at 10:41 PM..

Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I'm very familiar with Florence. Actually, your property tax is a bargain compared to what I was paying in Cherry Hill.

Are you OK with continuing to live out a bit?
Yeah, Cherry Hill is nice but you pay for the niceness as well. I actually relocated to Florence from Mt. Laurel about a year ago. But Clementon before that. So I slowly moved my way up this way. But as far as Charlotte, I want to be in the suburbs but not entirely too far out from the city. And also, I'm a huge Philly sports fan. Especially the Eagles. What is the Philly fan population like down there?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Cherry Hill is nice but you pay for the niceness as well. I actually relocated to Florence from Mt. Laurel about a year ago. But Clementon before that. So I slowly moved my way up this way. But as far as Charlotte, I want to be in the suburbs but not entirely too far out from the city. And also, I'm a huge Philly sports fan. Especially the Eagles. What is the Philly fan population like down there?
LOL, South Jersey people & Midwesterners are the majority of transplants west of Charlotte. People from North Jersey & NY are all over, but not so much out here.

The airport is on the west side of Charlotte, the hospital with the most openings is in Gastonia.

The 2 suburbs immediately west of Charlotte are Belmont & Mt Holly.

There's really nice housing in South Gastonia & the best shopping west of Charlotte. I edited Great Schools website onto the last post. You're going to need that to check schools.

There are good elementary schools in South Gastonia. Kings Mountain has good schools, but is 30 miles out from Charlotte. Lincoln County has good schools, as well. That probably gets you out 25 - 30 miles out. However, traffic is reasonably light on the west side.

You can get a passable hoagie at a place out in Shelby. I think there's a place in Shelby where they get together for Eagles games.

The grocery shopping will drive you nuts, but if you are near Ingles, it's close to seamless. Ingles is primarily on the west side. Seeing a pattern here?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:37 AM

John, there are 2 main healthcare systems coming out of Charlotte. CMC (Carolinas Healthcare) & Presbyterian. The hospital in Gastonia is a different system, CaroMont. CaroMont Health Kings Mountain & Shelby both have hospitals that are in the CMC system. Both towns also have hospice facilities. Your girlfriend can dig around with that information. It would be easy enough to get into Charlotte, but I believe that it would be easier for her to find an opening out here. There is a place that I am aware of with a warehouse, if you need that information. There may be other places when it gets closer to when you are ready to move.

South Charlotte & the area south of Charlotte gives you more of the suburban feel that you are used to. Real estate is higher there. It's pretty much comparable to the pricier suburbs in South Jersey.

There will be a commuter train line going in to Charlotte on the west side, through Gastonia. Things will be building up more here, on the west side of the metro area. However, right now, traffic is like most of South Jersey, 20 years ago, which is good. You can get around easily.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
John, there are 2 main healthcare systems coming out of Charlotte. CMC (Carolinas Healthcare) & Presbyterian. The hospital in Gastonia is a different system, CaroMont. CaroMont Health Kings Mountain & Shelby both have hospitals that are in the CMC system. Both towns also have hospice facilities. Your girlfriend can dig around with that information. It would be easy enough to get into Charlotte, but I believe that it would be easier for her to find an opening out here. There is a place that I am aware of with a warehouse, if you need that information. There may be other places when it gets closer to when you are ready to move.

South Charlotte & the area south of Charlotte gives you more of the suburban feel that you are used to. Real estate is higher there. It's pretty much comparable to the pricier suburbs in South Jersey.

There will be a commuter train line going in to Charlotte on the west side, through Gastonia. Things will be building up more here, on the west side of the metro area. However, right now, traffic is like most of South Jersey, 20 years ago, which is good. You can get around easily.
I will pass that info onto her. Right now I'm thinking the West Side of Charlotte would be a pretty good place to look for a home. I like the idea of a lot of fellow South Jersey people are in that area. I would imagine it would help with such a drastic transition. I will say though, I'll miss a real good hoagie that's for sure lol But being's that there seems to be a lot of South Jersey transplants I'm sure I could find some place that has a decent hoagie.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
I will pass that info onto her. Right now I'm thinking the West Side of Charlotte would be a pretty good place to look for a home. I like the idea of a lot of fellow South Jersey people are in that area. I would imagine it would help with such a drastic transition. I will say though, I'll miss a real good hoagie that's for sure lol But being's that there seems to be a lot of South Jersey transplants I'm sure I could find some place that has a decent hoagie.
I think you mean WEST OF Charlotte, not the west side of Charlotte, right?

That puts you in Gaston County - just check carefully for schools before you settle on an area.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think you mean WEST OF Charlotte, not the west side of Charlotte, right?

That puts you in Gaston County - just check carefully for schools before you settle on an area.
Not quite sure of the difference lol We are just looking for a good suburb of Charlotte and the fact that there is a good population of South Jersey people west of Charlotte could be a "selling point" to me for that area. Of course other factors play into the decision. Mainly good schools and low crime. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte