Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times

Advertisements

This Saturday, I had the pleasure of driving a 2013 Cadillac ATS with the 3.6L V6 and Premium Package. A lot about this vehicle (pleasantly) surprised me but one thing that took me aback was the $51,000 MSRP. The car may be small, but that price tag is NOT and I'm not sure if I can say for certain that the ATS is worth over $50K for what it is (luxury compact).

As far as driving impressions, the ATS is wonderful on the road. Very tight steering, very balanced feel, extremely agile and responsive. Just a very pleasant vehicle to drive albeit the cabin is a bit tight for a larger guy like me. I have long legs and even with the seat as far back as I could go and comfortably grip the steering wheel, the legroom leaves something to be desired. I understand it's a small car but from someone who is used to driving a 2010 F-150 each day, it's a dramatic change.

The cockpit is wonderfully laid-out. Everything "feels" high end, not like some of the materials in the CTS. The CUE is AMAZING, it's simply the best system out there in any luxury vehicle. It's not overly complicated, it works WELL, and it has tons of great features. My ONLY gripe is that there is a small software delay that can get irritating. The CUE system has to "think" and I'm already ready to move on to the next step while it's still stuck on the first page. I'm sure this will be updated by a software update sometime but it's annoying. It does deliver an iPad-like experience but just not as snappy as the iPad is.

The whole dash looks great with the customizable display, there are some great options and the setting I enjoyed showed the speed and the song on the XM radio. Even in bright daylight, it was easily readable. MUCH better than the system on my '08 Corvette!!

I'm truly impressed with the whole package the ATS offers, I just can't quite wrap my head around the $51K price tag though. I know it's directly competing with the 3 Series and in my opinion, offers a much better all-around vehicle than the 3-Series. The ATS is a vehicle I'd consider purchasing for the low $40k's but to get all the goodies that I'd want on a "luxury vehicle", you have to step up to the $47k+ Premium package and that's just more than I'd be wanting to spend.

I think I'm either going to wait until this Spring and start weighing options more heavily when my bank account is a bit larger. If I could get a slightly used ATS with all the great options for around $40K, I'd be very tempted to jump on it while keeping my F-150 and Corvette and using the ATS to commute in each day. The only thing I'm a bit concerned of is the legroom so that'll be a consideration before I reach a final decision. A 2010 Mercedes S400 Hybrid is looking like an attractive option currently but the price is quite a bit more than I'd ever consider spending. Unless I decide to scrimp and save for 6 months, I might have to eliminate that option...or I'll just bite the bullet.

Overall, if you're in the market for a small, luxury car...you really can't go wrong with the ATS as long as you get over the price tag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
That's a pretty astronomical price tag to say the least. Last time I was the Cadillac dealership I noticed that the new XTS was only about $50k. I know it's not rear wheel drive, and shares it's platform with Buick, but it was a large premium sedan for what I thought was a decent, to affordable price (considering what you got). Getting rid of all that extra space, I'd have expected the ATS to be down in the low $30k range. I'd also be curious how the resale holds up, considering a year or two old CTS can be had for about $25-28k, so I'd assume a used ATS will come in few thousand cheaper than that.

This feels like my initial hope, and disappointment with the BMW 1 series. I loved the 3 series, and was thinking..."Cut down the 3's weight, size, and price but continue with the same engines and we'll have a real contender"....It seems like the only thing that was cut was the size, because the weight remained largerly unchanged, and the same was true for the price tag.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
That's a pretty astronomical price tag to say the least. Last time I was the Cadillac dealership I noticed that the new XTS was only about $50k. I know it's not rear wheel drive, and shares it's platform with Buick, but it was a large premium sedan for what I thought was a decent, to affordable price (considering what you got). Getting rid of all that extra space, I'd have expected the ATS to be down in the low $30k range. I'd also be curious how the resale holds up, considering a year or two old CTS can be had for about $25-28k, so I'd assume a used ATS will come in few thousand cheaper than that.

This feels like my initial hope, and disappointment with the BMW 1 series. I loved the 3 series, and was thinking..."Cut down the 3's weight, size, and price but continue with the same engines and we'll have a real contender"....It seems like the only thing that was cut was the size, because the weight remained largerly unchanged, and the same was true for the price tag.
The XTS is a great bargain for what you're getting, I think it's probably one of the best large, luxury vehicles on the market currently and you can get one with every option for under $60k! I've already been seeing quite a few pop up around Scottsdale; quite a few former DTS owners are likely trading up to the XTS.

The ATS does start in the mid $30k range but it quickly starts climbing once you add packages and different engines since the base engine leaves much to be desired. I really don't think a fully-optioned ATS should exceed $50k in my opinion, I just don't see the value in it I guess.

I'm excited for the new generation CTS to come out and I may hold out for the 2014 model. I'm not sure I would want a vehicle as small as the ATS as the CTS seems almost the perfect size for a daily driver. I'm curious as to how the new CTS will be priced though...I'm almost guessing it'll start in the upper $40k range, but it'll likely hit the mid to upper $50k range with a few options as well.

Damn vehicles are getting expensive.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Perhaps, Cadillac is moving toward the BMW model and they are planning on leasing the bulk of the ATSs. From pictures, I still like the interior of the A4 better.

I am either cheap or just don't like Cadillacs because I think a loaded ATS should peak at 40 with most being sold around 35-36.

P.S. I priced a leftover base model FWD SRX and it was around 33000 which I thought was a nice deal.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
As others have noted, that is far too expensive for what you get. It's a great looking car but for that kind of money I'd be better off going with established contenders like the 3 series, A4 or C class. Cadillac has improved drastically over the last few years (starting with the first gen CTS) but this price level is beyond what a Cadillac is worth.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The price point puts the ATS against established kid-sized rivals from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and even Acura's TL. $30-low $40k range is what I would expect to pay for the ATS. The XTS is a better value, but it could easily be one the fleet and rental queen that was the DTS, so heavy depreciation should be expected.

I liked the ATS that I drove, even if I found the CUE's voice prompts to be lacking in responsiveness, but that could be solved with firmware updates going forward. I don't see the ATS wooing 3-Series or even Audi buyers as there is no added value that makes the ATS worth the premium in a very competitive market.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Perhaps, Cadillac is moving toward the BMW model and they are planning on leasing the bulk of the ATSs. From pictures, I still like the interior of the A4 better.

I am either cheap or just don't like Cadillacs because I think a loaded ATS should peak at 40 with most being sold around 35-36.

P.S. I priced a leftover base model FWD SRX and it was around 33000 which I thought was a nice deal.
The interior of the ATS was top-notch, no doubt about that. Every surface is soft-touch materials or plastered in leather, it looks wonderful.

I don't agree with your pricing simply because Cadillac is competing with the 3-Series which starts at $36K. The 3 Series tops off at $45k though while the ATS can run up to $48k without adding more options. Then again, I don't think the 3 Series is worth anywhere close to $45k for what you get.

Quote:
Cadillac has improved drastically over the last few years (starting with the first gen CTS) but this price level is beyond what a Cadillac is worth.
Go test drive one if you still feel Cadillac is an inferior brand. Cadillac IS in the same league as Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Lexus when it comes to the quality of engineering, materials, and craftsmanship. I find anything above $45K a ridiculous amount to pay for a compact car no matter what brand it is.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:34 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The interior of the ATS was top-notch, no doubt about that. Every surface is soft-touch materials or plastered in leather, it looks wonderful.

I don't agree with your pricing simply because Cadillac is competing with the 3-Series which starts at $36K. The 3 Series tops off at $45k though while the ATS can run up to $48k without adding more options. Then again, I don't think the 3 Series is worth anywhere close to $45k for what you get.

Go test drive one if you still feel Cadillac is an inferior brand. Cadillac IS in the same league as Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Lexus when it comes to the quality of engineering, materials, and craftsmanship. I find anything above $45K a ridiculous amount to pay for a compact car no matter what brand it is.
I don't doubt the engineering and craftsmanship behind the ATS are solid but the brand as a whole does not have the same kind of weight behind it that BMW, Audi and MBZ have. The ATS is stout, the CTS is decent (not as good as a 5 series IMO) and there really isn't much else. The XTS doesn't have any direct competition and although its nicely appointed it is fairly forgettable and lacks many features expected in a premium car. Cadillac is a growing brand but it is quite far from competing with the big boys. At the ATS’s price point the 3 series is a more attractive option.

Let's put it this way, I've become quite a fan of Hyundai over the last few years (I own a Genesis Coupe). They have made great effort to improve brand perception and are slowly moving upmarket compared to years past which is a difficult task. If they released a luxury compact RWD sports sedan with build quality equal to what BMW/Audi/BMZ are offering at a similar price point they would have a tough time selling the car regardless of how well built it is. Cadillac does not compete with the big luxury makes and doesn't have the product portfolio to begin to do so.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I don't doubt the engineering and craftsmanship behind the ATS are solid but the brand as a whole does not have the same kind of weight behind it that BMW, Audi and MBZ have. The ATS is stout, the CTS is decent (not as good as a 5 series IMO) and there really isn't much else. The XTS doesn't have any direct competition and although its nicely appointed it is fairly forgettable and lacks many features expected in a premium car. Cadillac is a growing brand but it is quite far from competing with the big boys. At the ATS’s price point the 3 series is a more attractive option.
I agree the XTS doesn't have any direct competition as it's marketed as a replacement for the DTS more than a true competitor to the Lexus LS...but what features do you expect on a $50K vehicle that the XTS doesn't offer? I mean it really has more/better features than the 5 Series or Mercedes E-Class for the price.

I digress, I think with the upcoming CTS and the new ATS, Cadillac IS competing directly with BMW/Benz/Audi. The only vehicle Cadillac truly lacks is an S-Class competitor. But the new CTS will challenge the 5 Series and E-Class just like the ATS is out-performing the 3-Series currently.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The BMW is also imported, so it is expected that it will cost a bit more. Disclaimer: I know not ALL BMWs are imported, but the 3-series, which is the main competitor to the ATS is imported. For that reason alone, the Cadillac should be priced competitively in the domestic market if GM wants to lure customers, since transportation costs from Lansing are less, and no import duty.

If the ATS were CTS-sized at that price point, it would offer a great value over the competition, but it's as small, and smaller in some dimensions, and competes with brands that already have an established clientèle in that segment. That's how GM is missing the mark with a decent vehicle because it's not worth the price premium for a small domestic sedan.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC