Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The 1.8/2.0T is found in several VWs and the 2.5 V6 is smaller then the V6 Camry's engine. That's about as rental as it gets. What are people like you going to do when BMW and Mercedes start offering 5/7 & E/S class with 4cyl engines in this country?
Everything smaller than a 3.5 V6 is not a rental engine. A rental engine is an engine that is readily found in a main stream rental cars. The 2.0T is not found in rentals. The 328i engine is not found in rentals. The 2.5 V6 is not found in rentals. None are rental car engines as they are not engines produced for rental and fleet sales. The 2.5 in the ATS is. It's about snobbery and perception and not diluting your brand by putting a rental car drive train in it. You enter a slipper slope... pretty soon your making four cylinder cars with plastic seats just because you can mark them up a few grand and turn a quick profit. Mercedes among my generation has no panache like it did before.

Start? They already do. It's not a concern as it's not a rental car engine in a luxury marque. Not that I particularly care. BMW stopped producing cars that I had any interest in a decade ago. Aside from AMG and M, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
There is no tier 1 model. Stop kidding yourself. Whoever wins (sales) gets to make the rules.

The top four best selling premium vehicles:

Lexus ES - a tarted up Camry/Avalon (how is that tier 1? FWD and based on a cheaper car from a lower line.)
Lexus RX - a high riding tarted up Camry wagon (ditto)
Mercedes E
BMW 3

That's why the ATS is a "tier one" car no matter who makes it. If the XTS were to somehow outsell the ES ( which it won't, but the Lacrosse might and the two combined most likely will) it would make GM execs very happy and they couldn't care less what tier the internet people put it in. That's why they put all their emphasis on making competitors for those four vehicles first before ANYTHING else. Lacrosse/XTS, SRX, CTS, ATS. Everything else is secondary.
There is a tier 1 model and it has nothing to do with kidding oneself and much to do with reality. It is an expectation of features/quality for a particular segment that is decided by the market. Your comment on the other hand has zero relevance.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
Don't know if this was said yet, but this instrument cluster looks bottom dollar...C'mon designers, OMG! Hopefully it looks a little more tasteful in person...but I like the cluster in my Volkswagens more.

edit - This car is located in Chicago, and is a ATS 3.6 AWD listed for $50,xxx

Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Don't know if this was said yet, but this instrument cluster looks bottom dollar...C'mon designers, OMG! Hopefully it looks a little more tasteful in person...but I like the cluster in my Volkswagens more.

That look down right hideous. Hopefully it just doesn't translate well to photographs.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
That is the instrument cluster in the ATS, down to mimicking a German fuel gauge as well, with no F and E. The F30 has a much better looking instrument cluster, though in the ATS, the main focus is on the center stack with CUE. I did not realize it when looking at the speedometer, but it does scream "parts bin," and reminds me of some of the Chevrolet speedometers.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:

That doesn't look that horrible to me. I don't care for it.

http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/4/o/2/ag_13ats_dash.JPG

The interior is just way too busy for my tastes, the dash I don't really find that objectionable. Hard to tell from a photograph, of course, but cars are for driving. Caddy interior looks like it was built for raccoons. Racoons love shinies.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/356748...o-interior.jpg

Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
That is the instrument cluster in the ATS, down to mimicking a German fuel gauge as well, with no F and E. The F30 has a much better looking instrument cluster, though in the ATS, the main focus is on the center stack with CUE. I did not realize it when looking at the speedometer, but it does scream "parts bin," and reminds me of some of the Chevrolet speedometers.
Which?

It looks old to me. Not enough plastic bezle and electro-luminescent Vegas Light Show to look contemporary. To me it looks more like something you'd find in a early 2000s car, definitely clashes with the Art and Science motif.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:14 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Forgot who said they were pricing a used SRX. The bf, my roommate, has a 2011 which has had to be repainted several times, had a pinched control which wouldn't allow the sunroof to close up, flooded with two inches of water in the rear compartment, a/c decided to blow warm air on the driver's side, and magically went out of gear on the expressway. The beast has been in the shop every time you turn around and has a long rap sheet with the service manager.

It is pretty though.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:

Other than the LCD display it looks like it came out of a Impala on a Hertz lot.

Audi and Lexus set the standard with their interiors as far as I am concerned.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Quote:

Really? The instrument cluster on my wifes $25k Nissan Rogue looks more attractive and luxurious than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC