Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:56 AM

255 posts, read 660,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've bought several vehicles out of rental fleets. They've all been gems. The reason Cavaliers (and a lot of other rental and fleet GM, Chrysler, and Ford vehicles) didn't last in fleets and sold cheap was because they were junk to begin with. The fleet vehicles that I bought were ones where the make and model had a good repair ratings from Consumer Reports, J. D. Powers, etc. They served me very well. One particular vehicle that I bought out of a corporate lease fleet had 85K miles on it--and was in almost-new condition. It's at way over 100K miles now with no issues.

People looking at buying a used vehicle usually look at the decision bass-ackwards. They look at how many miles the vehicle has been driven instead of focusing on its remaining service life. I would consider the Cavalier as a 100K mile car, tops. So, one with 70K miles on it has only 30% of its service life left. A reliable vehicle like many of the Toyota models, for example, I consider to be a 200K mile car, at least. So, a Toyota Camry, for example, with 70K miles still has 65% of its service life remaining. At twice the price of the Cavalier, it would still be a better bargain.
I can accept most of this. But to say a car's life span is 100,000 miles, or 200,000 miles is flawed. Any car can be reliable for a very very long time, and any car can be a total piece of crap. The owner of the car/past maintenance is the missing factor.

I'm not per say defending cavaliers, I am not a fan honestly..But for a car you can get cheap, with low miles, that gets good mpg, and will be reliable as long as you take care of it, I still argue that they are a good option.

Just for reference, I bought our 04 with 65k miles on it, and sold it with over 150k on it, and it was still running/driving great. Only issue really was the drivers seat side bolster was worn out.

Take care of your car, and it will take care of you..Goes for just about any vehicles out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:29 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,035 times
I have a 05 cavilier. I personally loved that car. I sold it to my son this past summer. I have had nothing major go wrong with it. I have had to do some maintence on it. The power window motors went out one by one. My husband replaced them as needed the motors were about $50. a piece. The spark plugs quit working right at 100,000 miles, the passenger side windshield wiper motor quit working. I have no idea what that cost to fix as my son has not done that yet. The o2 sensors need replaced the cost of the sensors was $200 for the part. The only other thing that needed fixed was the fuel pump went out. Again my husband fixed it so it wasn't a huge hit for us. Now all that being said. The car has 200,000 miles.

I actually miss that car. You will always have people trying to bash you for wanting or needing a cheap car. Pick what you want and try to keep an objective head when asking people on the internet. For some reason many people think we all have a ton of money to spend on a car.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:33 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
I have a 05 cavilier. I personally loved that car. I sold it to my son this past summer. I have had nothing major go wrong with it. I have had to do some maintence on it. The power window motors went out one by one. My husband replaced them as needed the motors were about $50. a piece. The spark plugs quit working right at 100,000 miles, the passenger side windshield wiper motor quit working. I have no idea what that cost to fix as my son has not done that yet. The o2 sensors need replaced the cost of the sensors was $200 for the part. The only other thing that needed fixed was the fuel pump went out. Again my husband fixed it so it wasn't a huge hit for us. Now all that being said. The car has 200,000 miles.

I actually miss that car. You will always have people trying to bash you for wanting or needing a cheap car. Pick what you want and try to keep an objective head when asking people on the internet. For some reason many people think we all have a ton of money to spend on a car.
Quite honestly you had way more go wrong than the majority of Cavalier owners do at that mileage. The '84 I mentioned had power windows that worked until the day the car finally died.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:42 PM

255 posts, read 660,252 times
Hard to compare an 84 to an 05. 90s/Early 2000s GM window motors are notoriously garbage. Spark plugs are routine. 02 sensors are routine after certain mileage. 90s/Early 2000s GM fuel pumps also seem to be a weak link. I've owned a ton of GM vehicles, and always fill up when I get down to a 1/4 tank to prevent the fuel pumps from burning up. Although the burning up fuel pumps seemed to be more an issue in the hot desert, than it does in up in the NW. I haven't had any fuel pump issues that I can think of up here in the NW. (Knocks on wood)

Old 12-06-2013, 01:27 PM

486 posts, read 832,091 times
One of the most unsafe cars of it's generation.

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4DR
PASS. CAR
w/oSAB w/oESC CONCERN: Worst 10% for 2003-2010

http://www.informedforlife.org/demos...E2010nov10.pdf

Cars With The Highest Death Rates
11 Chevrolet Cavalier (4 door)

Car Make and Model Fatality Statistics | Statistic Brain

Old 12-07-2013, 11:06 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
I owned six of the last generation of Cavaliers, back when I was driving 40k miles per year on business. (Also wanted to manufacture used cares for my kids as they came of age.) I bought them all new, we ran them and ran them: 150,000 to 200,000 miles. (One got totaled at six weeks by my 16 year old, he and a friend walked away from a rollover crash.) Never spent a nickel outside of regular maintenance on them, no major breakdowns.

They were snow bunnies, antilock breaks and ABS standard, many other cars in their class lacked those things. My 30 year old son is still driving his Cavalier that I gave him 12 years ago, 140k and counting, no rust showing. My wife was driving one that we traded in on a bigger car in 2006, the lady that bought it from the dealer is still driving it and loving it.

Maybe the Cav is a POS car, but we got great value from them. I don't put those kind of miles on anymore, so we're driving nicer stuff--the Cavs really fit the bill for us for a long time.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:00 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Not a safe car in IIHS crash test ratings. If you care about good/great safety ratings run far way.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Not a safe car in IIHS crash test ratings. If you care about good/great safety ratings run far way.

To be fair......I have had dozens of cars, wrecked a few and never had one "totaled" yet! Crash test ratings are great if you wreck the car but if you are lucky you never get to test those ratings!

Anything built today is safer than cars of years past so keep things in perspective:

Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air VS. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu (Frontal Offset) IIHS 50th Anniversary - YouTube

Old 12-07-2013, 03:57 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times

Stuntbusters: Head-On Collision (1962 Cadillac vs. 2002 Cadillac) - YouTube

Old 12-07-2013, 06:01 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,395 times
I knew someone who had a 1991 4 door cavalier. This car is ugly and very uncomfotable but is pretty solid. The engine is a 2.2 with a 5 spd manual. Push Rod 4 cyl that sounds like a tractor but it has over 250,000 miles on the clock and still gets him from point A-B. Nothing inside electrical works now, but the car starts and runs and doesn't leave him stranded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC