Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:15 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Thanks for answering the question, honestly.

Allen2323, do you care to answer the question?
If I had to live in either place that would mean I was broke. So, my honest answer would be ford heigts. Just because it is closer to where I am now. I guess if you have to live in a hood, atleast let it be a hood that you are familiar with. But, I get your question. Some areas of gary are nicer like miller beach. But, there is no way in heck I would spend good money to live in gary.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:20 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
And speaking of gary. Why don't they just demolish some of those huge vacant commercial buildings that the city now owns? Like the vacant sheraton hotel. Harvey has finally moved on demolishing the old dixie square mall. And I thought it was a brilliant idea for lincoln mall in matteson to demolish it's two vacant anchor buildings. Why live in the past and keep a vacant eyesore. The new JCPenney's and target look much better as stand alone stores. Who wants to shop at a dead mall anyway? The Carson's should build it's own stand alone store next. More people shop at JCPenney now that they have there own store away from the crappy mall.

http://www.thegovmonitor.com/world_news/united_states/illinois-invests-4-million-for-harvey-mall-redevelopment-39197.html (broken link)

Last edited by allen2323; 11-08-2010 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
If I had to live in either place that would mean I was broke. So, my honest answer would be ford heigts. Just because it is closer to where I am now. I guess if you have to live in a hood, atleast let it be a hood that you are familiar with. But, I get your question. Some areas of gary are nicer like miller beach. But, there is no way in heck I would spend good money to live in gary.
Thanks for answering! And I would venture to say that the vast majority of people would not spend good money in Gary, Ford Heights, or any declined place (no matter the size) as their primary residence.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Thanks for answering! And I would venture to say that the vast majority of people would not spend good money in Gary, Ford Heights, or any declined place (no matter the size) as their primary residence.
Truthfully, I would spend some cash for a lakefront Miller home - but it would have to be a time in my life where schools wouldn't be a concern.

But you're right - I agree that the majority wouldn't invest in a community such as Cal City, Dolton, Lansing, Homewood, Harvey, The Heights, etc., that's on the decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il?
I would say the suburbs east of I-57 are in the same boat.
I agree. You would be hard pressed to find a community between 1-57 and the Illinois/Indiana state line that isn't in a state of decline, let alone a community with the trifecta: excellent schools, low crime, steady & increasing property values. (Though increasing is a bit of a stretch - steady is most likely the best one can hope for in ANY town nowadays.)

Old 11-08-2010, 10:14 PM

366 posts, read 493,184 times
Easy....Cicero and Aurora.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Don't forget about young people who make little money and live at home with their parents, their mom or with family/friends. It's often young men who commit crime, anyway.

Most top wage earners in Olympia Fields households are high earning professionals. Olympia Fields has upper middle class households but especially in this day and age, this isn't necessarily as good as it sounds.

My household is middle class but I work maintenance and I need some money, man. I can sympathize with someone who is struggling and steals a bunch of money - even someone who just happens to live in Olympia Fields (or Munster).
That is why I said per capita income is better criteria.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Here's my list of worst depressed towns:

Ford Heights
Robbins
Gary
Harvey
THE EAST SIDE of Chicago Heights deserves to be mentioned..

Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,985,635 times
Ive lived in Tinley and Orland Park area for 16 years .. The areas great.. crime is basic petty stuff. But you can still have an ease of mind walking down the street.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:36 PM

105 posts, read 375,374 times
I just wanted to add something to this debate seeing as how we just got the SECOND INSTALLMENT OF TAXES IN OAK FOREST.

The cost this year is over 6,000 dollars!! Over 530 was to the suburb of Oak Forest and even more to the Oak Forest Park District among many other expenses.

I think when we look at the "worst suburbs" it is important to include those towns not run well and full of waste like Oak Forest. This waste comes at a price. These are towns were you get little bang for you buck compared to other areas. Is Oak Forest like Ford Heights? No.

But Oak Forest is the worst middle income town you could choose when compared to others such as Mokena, Frankfort, New Lenox etc.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:53 PM

947 posts, read 2,422,735 times
I lived in OF for 12 years. Luckily, my husband is a master carpenter and remodeled our 1968 model OF raised ranch with fireplace surround, built in bookshelves, built in office desk, kitchen island, ceramic baths, skylights, etc. We had no trouble selling it for top dollar almost 5 years ago. I was frustrated with lack of homeowners updating their houses, neighborhood run down, lack of community services. We bought in Mokena and it was a good fit for us. We paid too much for our house, but we also got too much for our OF house, so it evens out.
I ride past OF every so often and it makes me angry that the govt. there does nothing to generate business along Cicero or 159th. Cicero is as ugly as it gets. I wanted to live in OF until we were ready to retire, but it didn't work out that way.
Yes, school system in OF was good. My son had no trouble when he transferred to Lincolnway schools. And I used the forest preserve trails almost every day. In those two respects, yes, OF was up to par.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs