Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times

Advertisements

Many train lines go to Chicago so that's not a problem. Access to Kenosha is. If the ultimate destination is close to the Kenosha train station definitely somewhere along the UP (not Milwaukee ) rail line. If closer to 94, and too far from the train; Libertyville, Lincolnshire, Green Oaks. Try to travel by train if the distance is over ten miles unless you can arrange to travel outside peak periods.

Last edited by pvande55; 08-31-2011 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:53 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
And this thread from November of 2010 was dug up for what reason??!!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:48 AM

78 posts, read 86,929 times
What are you the thread police?

Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Of course not, Newbie. As a long-time poster, I just get annoyed by old threads being dug up for no relevant reason

Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
The main period when it sucks to live near the lake as opposed to farther away is March through May. Contrary to popular belief it is not actually colder with respect to average annual temperature, the temperatures are just distributed differently. Being near a body of water tends to moderate temperatures a bit, and increase seasonal lag. This means, warmer at night, cooler during the day, warmer in fall/winter, cooler in spring/summer.

I do agree, that the climate of a location away from the lake is preferable to the climate of a location near the lake. One of the primary times when near the lake is warmer is a winter night, where it might get down to -10 away from the lake, but only down to +5 near the lake. People tend not to notice this as people tend to view both as simply really cold. But when the same 15 degree differential occurs on an April day making it 50 near the lake and 65 away from the lake, people notice big time.

You can avoid some of the most extreme lake effects on weather by living a few miles west of the lake, say closer to I-94. But even there, you may miss out on several nice spring days that will occur in Naperville/Aurora. I wouldn't let that further complicate your commute plans to Chicago/Kenosha. If I were you I would simply plan to spend nice weekend days in the Spring out at Chain-o-Lakes or Moraine Hills State Park where you're more certain to get away from the Lake-cooled air.
I agree. Living in the city near the lake, all the flowers in my neighborhood were actually still blooming and alive into the first week of December - whereas they probably would have been killed off a month earlier way out west. Most people didn't notice at all, although I certainly did, temps not dipping below freezing that late in the year. Of course come April when it's 48 in Uptown and 68 in Aurora, then people scream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs