Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:04 PM

24 posts, read 41,634 times

Advertisements

Well, no way to know what the OP is used to. The North Shore is unlike anything at all in Northern Virginia, but we found many things to our liking. Not just the housing stock but the layout of the cities/towns is very different from suburban DC and definitely any place I have visited in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 12,415 times
So, we currently live in a dull suburb. A large enough house (2500 sq. ft.) on a teeny tiny lot, but in a cul de sac. Although we are in a suburb, we have close shopping (Wal-Mart, Costco, drug stores, etc...) We don't do much in terms of nightlife, eating out, movies, or the like. We spend most of our free time involved in our kids extracurricular activities-little league, youth basketball, youth volleyball, swimming, parks, and so on.

Yes, some may consider this a quick and uninformed move, but my husband got laid off a year ago, and has been unable to find a job paying more than 30,000 dollars a year in Texas. Quite frankly that is just not enough. When he was offered this job, we had no other choice but to take it. I am sure there will be major differences, but hearing from several people makes it sound totally daunting and nearly impossible. We get one house hunting trip next week, and we were just hoping to get some local opinions to try and narrow the communities down without relying completely upon the opinion of a real estate agent. Thanks for any additional info that anyone has to offer.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I doubt consider it "uninformed" but I do sympathize that this will require a fairly aggressive strategy -- both on timeline & budget.

The selection of homes in Highland Park is almost certainly better than those in Wilmette, but that would add considerable time / cost to commute.

Ideally the OP / her husband can work with a good agent that will understand their needs -- five kids will require a whole lot of time to get settled in. Shopping access should not be a problem, and many towns will be within reasonable commute distance but finding "the right house" that will have room for everyone AND schools to serve the kids AND affordable rent will require an agent that does not "spill the beans" as to the short timeline...

Ideally you CAN find a real estate to rely on!

The various towns of the North Shore as well as those inland each some pluses as well as trade offs -- the most obvious differentiator is cost, but honestly in many towns finding a larger home that is in an acceptable location will be such a challenge that alone should help to "shorten the list"...

If you were buying (or intend to do so soon) I would advocate for finding the most affordable home in the most affluent area that will allow for the most manageable commute -- this generally results in the best schools and greatest price stability. Renting may allow you to alter that advice and shoot for the home that has the nicest mix of affordability and features in a town that is still very desirable, but overall I really don't advocate anyone renting in a town they would not be comfortable buying in as the disruption that occurs should you be in bind about buying is definitely worth avoiding...

The various thread that already describe towns like Park Ridge, Glenview, Deerfield, Highland Park, Lincolnshire, Northbrook, Wilmette, and other towns served by Maine South, Glenbrook, New Trier, Highland Park / Deerfield High, and even Stevenson ought to be poured through ASAP...

Last edited by chet everett; 07-01-2011 at 03:18 PM..

Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acd117 View Post
We plan on renting, and I suppose our max budget would be 3000/month. We would want a 4 bedroom house-we have 5 kids! A yard with a fence and not a terrible commute (although we know certain days could be bad). Maybe this will help in those wishing to give better assistance. Thanks!
Have you asked about housing assistance through NU? I know that many of the profs at least had nice university housing in Evanston when I lived there.

Frankly, I love Evanston and would move back there in a flash, but not renting with that many kids since I don't think there are many houses for rent that would be the right size for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs