Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,550 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to move out of the city and make the step to the suburbs. We are looking at houses with 3/4 bedrooms and s budget around $600. We would like to have a yard for our two young boys and two dogs and safe family friendly neighborhood with good schools. walkable downtown would be nice.
On our short list of suburbs is Oak Park, Northshore, Lagrange and Hinsdale. I do not know much about the downtown area of these burbs any information pros/cons would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 04:26 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Tricky price point...

I guess your mean a purchase piece around $600,000. Depending on how big a house / yard you want / need and how "turn key" you expect the place to be the pickins' might be pretty slim in most of those areas.

I would also say that depending on what your expectations are regarding commuting you MAY want to factor that into you searches.

I'd also be careful shopping if you don't have a VERY solid handle on what a place you may need to sell will ulitimately fetch AS WEL AS taxes..

When you say "North Shore" that really is a whole lot of communities, from Evanston through towns in Lake Co -- each has different scale / range of prices as well as range of options for work... Even if you work in Loop and can count on good Metra service big difference between something that get from say Evanston in about 30 mins to other towns that nearly double that travel time...

My preferred 'burbs are generally along the BNSF -- towns like Riverside have some architecturally interesting options in your budget, the core of town is technically walkable, but not as varied in term of dining / nightspots as LaGrange and property taxes are pretty high. LaGrange has some nice options in your piece range, but many homes will be further from core than some folks would be comfortable walking. Adjacent to Lagrange is Western Springs -- a bit more compact, a bit pricier, but still some things in your range. Hinsdale is west of Western Springs, price range is gonna be tough UNLESS you are ok with a place that is VERY much in need of updating / so small most folks would tear it down. Moving further west is Clarendon Hills, most of which shares the top shelf D181 schools with Hinsdale. Prices are a bit lower, but due to small size of town few options will be in your range. Many folks skip over Westmont, as its schools are not as well regarded as either of it's neighbors along the BNSf, though your money will go further, and honestly the schools are at least middle-of-the pack or better just overshadowed by neighbors. Downers Grove is one of those neighbors, and is very well served by three train stops. Lots of charming homes, some may be in your price range, well developed downtown. Further west is Lisle, with it's less charming downtown and schools that are not as well regarded as DG or Naperville. The core of Naperville really is quite nice, but the most desirable homes may be scarce in your piece range and those in (as well as below) your price tend to be in the tract developments, which Naperville has many of...

The other major trainnline of DuPage Co is the UP-W line, it runs through Oak Park, and the first town in DuPage is Elmhurst, which probably has the most bustling Elmhurst behind Naperville and LaGrange. Some of the most desirable homes will be above your price point but there are quite a few that could work for a family with two kids and two dogs. Further west Glen Ellyn's. Charming and well devleloped downtown has a more boutique feel but is not as pricey as Hinsdale. It's neighbor to the west, Wheaton, also has a lot of charm, but still some holes, and is a bit more affordable.

If you have specific questions there are threads on most of these towns..

Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,701 times
Default I would get in the car, take a couple of leisurely drives,

Buying a house is exciting! The Chicago metro area is HUGE and it will simplify things for you if you can narrow the search down even further. #1, where is your employment located? Do one or both of you work outside the home? This is important because often day care establishments charge extra fees if you arrive late to pick up the kids, and a long commute will increase your commute time.
Be sure to take a look at the cost of a monthly train ticket and the cost of a monthly parking space at the train station and be aware that some towns have waiting lists just for spaces. Paying extra for a truly walk-to-the-station location could actually be cheaper in the long run and for resale. Walkability will become more and more valuable is the future.
I would get in the car, take a couple of leisurely drives, and narrow down your choices further.
Check out the neighborhoods, check property tax rates, etc. Figure out the routes you can drive to work. Check out the cost of fencing a backyard if it is not already done. There are lots of houses for sale right now and most people have limited time for searching. I would get a realtor that specializes in the area where you want to live, but I would do this after I narrowed down my choices to a certain area.
Hubby and I were raised in Hinsdale. It's beautiful. My first choice for a home would be LaGrange, I think. It is a bit more down-to-earth.
Enjoy the hunt!

Last edited by HollyhockGarden; 08-13-2011 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: paragraphs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs