Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 PM

11 posts, read 31,164 times

Advertisements

I am considering a house in both areas and dont know much about both. the morton grove house is bigger and on a corner lot, and half miles from niles west and i would get much more for the money. it does need some fixing but after the rehab it will cost me $20k more than the skokie house. the skokie house is smaller, without a garage but it does not need any extra fixing and the houses around it are considerably more expensive. Any opinion would help on the pros and cons of both areas please and what would you do????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
Generally, Morton Grove is a bit more prestigious than Skokie. The property taxes in Morton Grove are higher than Skokie, but depending on what school district you fall into, it may be worth it. If the home you're considering purchasing sends your children to Parkview Elementary, I say buy the house in Morton Grove. If the house in Morton Grove sends your kids to District 69 school (Madison Elementary, Edison Elementary, and Lincoln Junior High) it may not be worth it. I attended these schools in throughout the late 90's and 00's and they were kind of going down the tubes...

I don't know where in Skokie the other house you're considering purchasing is located, but Niles West is just as great of a school as Niles North and Evanston Township High School. Haha I just realized you didn't even state if you have kids or not. If you have kids, go with Morton Grove. If you don't, go with Skokie.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:13 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I suspect a big part of the property tax difference is due to the revenue from Old Orchard mall and surrounding retail strips in Skokie carrying a lot of burden vs relatively little commercial / retail in Morton Grove to shoulder the burden.

Neither town strikes me as truly "prestigious".

I'd buy the better value for both long and short term...

Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 PM

11 posts, read 31,164 times
Default morton grove vs skokie

i have a son who will be entering high school in the fall so that is important for me. The skokie house is around Mccormick and Church area and the morton gorve is approx half mile from niles west high school, if that helps. I know i would be getting more for my money and for some reason always though skokie may be more "prestigious." But I really dont know much. I appreciate the responses and will prob go with the morton grove house as I just like it better also.

Do you guys know anything at all at the future outlook of the area or any new developments that may take place??

Old 08-21-2011, 08:05 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Both towns have completely been "built out" for many decades. Residential tear downs have not been as common in they were in towns with more varied layout / bigger lot sizes. A handful of projects to redevelop portions of the commercial sections of both towns have met with mizpxed results -- like pretty much everywhere else in the country there is much "unabsorbed inventory" for residential, commercial and retail space ...

I guess it might make sense to understand where / when you hope to enroll your son in high school -- if you are coming form outside the region the lead time of settling in for the Fall 2011 is already past. You will be facing "fully enrolled" classes in pretty much any desirable school now...

Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM

29 posts, read 54,265 times
I've lived in Skokie my whole life and went to Niles west. Given the option, I'd prefer to live in MG. I have many friends that live just north of Dempster on the "M" streets.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:00 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
does it really matter?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
I never liked the area around Church and McCormick even when growing up in Skokie and later rented there.. Too many apartment buildings around. Depending on the elementary district in Morton Grove, I like the area just north of Niles West because it is all single family residences which keeps the neighborhood more stable IMO.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM

183 posts, read 338,769 times
Church and McCormick is on the very edge of Skokie. On just the other side of McCormick is considered a rather depressed area of Evanston. I'd go for the Morton Grove house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs