Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,187 times

Advertisements

That map shows the newest working runway 9L-27R and there is no doubt that impacted southern Park Ridge. My point was simply it can't get any worse, granted that is no relief for those impacted now. When/if 10C/28C and 10R/28L get completed that could reduce noise from 9L-27R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 PM

44 posts, read 139,713 times
Maybe they are planning on diverting more flights onto these runways by 2020 which is resulting in the increased decibel levels? That may be why noise levels are projected to decline over some other areas and this plan I linked to may not be implemented yet. I do not think you can bank on it going down or make the statement that it is already as bad is it can get.

Another point is that when people find out there is even the possibility of an increase in noise from the airport it will have an adverse effect on property values. It isn't the "far" South either - if you drew a line through the middle of Park Ridge it is the entire Southern half but in reality all of Park Ridge is impacted.

I do think it will remain a desirable area and people will choose to live with the jets because of the other things Park Ridge has going for it. Afterall, people are willing to live right next to 294 in Hinsdale or Western Springs where you can barely here yourself think so this is just another factor in the decision each home buyer has to make.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 PM

491 posts, read 1,652,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Take a close look at an overhead view of the area and even the diagonal runway that does require plane to skirt the edge of the Maine East campus (which does not serve students from ParkRidge) really is not close enough to cause any serious concerns.
I would like to correct this statement, unless rules have changed and towns were redistricted, Maine East serves some students from Park Ridge.
http://east.maine207.org/assets/6/23/East%20Profile%202011-12%20(1).pdf
I grew up in Park Ridge, near the Lutheran General Hospital neighborhood. BTW, although its ranking isn't as high as Maine South, Maine East is a great school and gets overshadowed by Maine South. The student population reflects the real world population. I would not hesitate to send my child to Maine East.

Back to topic, the noise pollution in the area where I lived was noticeable but tolerated. I guess it was all I knew and learned to live with it and didn't bother me.
Surprisingly, it was even less noticeable inside the high school. But, for those that are experiencing this for the first time, it could be a problem. There are times in the summer that if the windows were open in our home, that it would drown out the volume of the tv because of the planes landing.

Sometimes, the planes literally fly so low over the high school baseball fields in Maine East upon landing, that some students were afraid to throw the baseball in the air because it seems like if one threw a baseball high enough, it would hit the wings.

Overall, I still love Park Ridge. I would raise a family in this town any day despite the planes from O'hare.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Yeah, I do recall that there is a portion of Park Ridge that is near Lutheran General that does attend Maine East, didn't mean to slight anyone.

I believe all three schools within the district have pretty extensive sound isolation upgrades due to the airport expansion.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,494 times
As someone who's lived at the extreme northern end of Park Ridge for 20 years, airplane noise there has decreased a lot. First, the planes have gotten a lot quieter - old 727's and such were noisy, and no longer visit O'Hare. Second, the realignment of runways has taken almost all the traffic off the northern of the two northeast/southwest runways. As they build more East-West runways, the desire to use a runway which crosses two of those will decrease traffic even more. In South Park Ridge, the situation is different - the new East-West runway means more traffic for them. Look at the O'Hare modernization site, it shows statistics of which runways get used most.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 PM

4 posts, read 14,658 times
There is a new runway going in due to be completed during 2014 that will run straight down Granville Ave. I would stay away from Park Ridge, especially anything south of Touhy Ave. Homes that are under the Belle Plaine flight path have decreased 50% in value since that runway opened.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 AM

63 posts, read 160,423 times
Sbking - thanks so much for the map. It's refereshing to hear that the City is planning to futher mitigate noise in my neck of the woods (Glenview/Morton Grove) area. I believe we are in the path of runway 22R arrival which drives me insane (we are renting a house in Morton Grove) and to your point would seriously persuade me from buying properties along the flight path. I am curious if 22R will be utilized even less? I know they reduced it back in late 2000 but wasn't sure how they will further mitigate noise...

Just read through some additional reports on Oharenoise.org and noted that 2013 OMP build out will mean that 22R will be used 0.3% for arrivals? That seems awfully low compare to what they have been averaging 3-10%... Am I reading this right? And those lucky folks off of 22L won't see any!

http://oharenoise.org/PDFs/O'Har...Out-8-1-11.pdf

Last edited by sbkim; 03-27-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 PM

935 posts, read 3,448,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbking View Post
Welcome to Chicago - it is a wonderful city.

BCBS used to be located across from Millenium Park on Randolph so I assume it still is. Your husband could walk to work easily if he could get to the L and there is a stop in Wilmette so if you can afford it that would be something to seriously consider. The purple line will stop on Randolph a couple blocks West of the building. Most of the metra trains end in the West loop or there is a station for South loop but neither of these would be quite as convenient for your husband if he was opposed to driving to/from the city for some reason. Wilmette is considered North Shore so it is a very nice, highly desireable area (arguably the most desireable in Chicago) with more convenient access to Wisconsin as you mentioned than some other areas.
I second this thought. I lived in Des Plaines -- a neighbor to Park Ridge -- from 1995 - 2001. The air traffic noise at the time (probably increased since then) was something you got used to and didn't bother me all that much.

I also worked in the building next to the BCBS building on the lake front. The commute was a headache. Park Ridge and Des Plaines Metra trains arrive in the Ogilvee Transportation Center on the west side of the loop about 2 miles way from the office. So I often ended up taking a cross town express bus at $4/day. Ideally, you'd walk, but I always found that it was too hot, or too cold, or too rainy, or I had a meeting to get to; and I would wind up on the bus most of the time. You can hop on the CTA blue line at Cumberland in Park Ridge, but its further from downtown Park Ridge, so often more of a drive, and parking can be a challenge. But the blue line will get you closer to the east side of the loop. All in all, if you want to still have access to Wisconsin and a commute that lets you off near the office, I'd shoot for the near northern burbs.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,861 times
The new (2008) runway at the most northern end of Ohare has actually reduced air traffic and noise over the Northwest section of Park Ridge. The flight paths intersect and the result has been less traffic for the older runway. Having said that, it is not the suburb for those interested in constant peace and quiet. I have never seen a property value issue with regard to flight paths...PR is uniformly quite expensive for what you get.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Well...

The issue is really "for what you get"... Yes, the lot sizes are mostly compact, and homes, even if renovated or "tear-down new construction" are not going to have the square footage of places much further out BUT you do get a really great LOCATION that is very well located for commutes to literally ANY employment center in the region including the Loop, Oak Brook, Schuamburg, and Lake Co.. Very good Metra service on the Metra UP-NW line to the Loop and northside, access to the CTA Blue Line and buses. A better than average "town center" with resturants, shops, coffee, and movies. A nice Park District with good year-round programming including indoor swimming for a pretty affordable rate. Very highly rated schools. A nice mix of mostly single family detached homes as well as some condos / rentals that serve to give some options for retirees and younger folks.

Price trends are among the most solid one can find for anyplace that literally borders Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRdad View Post
The new (2008) runway at the most northern end of Ohare has actually reduced air traffic and noise over the Northwest section of Park Ridge. The flight paths intersect and the result has been less traffic for the older runway. Having said that, it is not the suburb for those interested in constant peace and quiet. I have never seen a property value issue with regard to flight paths...PR is uniformly quite expensive for what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs