Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,206 times

Advertisements

Orlando is not cloudier than Chicago.

As far as coping with the weather here; it is three fold.

1. If you think it is already starting to get chilly by September, you are not going to be able to cope with the cold unless you get used to it to some degree. People on this board will try to convince you that winter is good, cold is not that bad, blah, blah, blah. But the truth is that everybody is different, and everybody has different preferences. Even people who move here from warmer areas have different reactions. Some people get used to it, some don't. If you can't get used to, say, at least temperatures in the 30s/40s/50s, you probably should not live here. You don't have to love it, winter is my least favorite season in Chicago, but you do have to be able to cope with being outside for a little while in 35 degree temperatures to avoid going insane here.

2. You have to come up with activities to do in winter. Some may depend on how well you can cope with colder temperatures, but taking up something like cross-country skiing will help you stay active in winter. Other people use it as a season to go to the gym and build some muscle, or learn a new indoor based hobby. This is actually your best hope for finding a way to enjoy all four seasons, as it provides you with some differentiation, some variety. Then, each season brings about a new set of activities and something to look forward to.

3. The body does depend on Vitamin D. Chicago is not the cloudiest of cities, but there is a seasonal cycle and Nov.- Jan. are the cloudiest. That combined with the weak sun angle/ less hours of daylight can screw with you mentally. However, sometimes taking a Vitamin D supplement can really help improve your spirits.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:21 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
I agree with SJaye, if someone thinks it's cold here in September, don't even think of moving here. I personally love Oct-Nov. Two of may favorite months here.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM

269 posts, read 416,269 times
I read somewhere that Orlando had more cloudy days than Chicago. noaa maybe, not sure

Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 PM

44 posts, read 139,609 times
There tends to be a quasi 'rainy season' in some areas in the South during the winter months as well so even when it is cooler down there you have to deal with more precipitation. I lived in New Orleans (similar to Orlando in climate) for a couple years and in this reporter's opinion the summers down South are just as bad as the winters up North so you have to pick your poison. You will get acclimated to either though but at least here we have 4 distinct seasons vs. the 2 seasons down South (hot and less hot).

Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM

78 posts, read 122,668 times
Thanks for all your feedback, some replies were definitely helpful. People confuse hating winter with hating Chicago, thing is, I love Chicago, I just wish the winters were bearable! Lots of people warned me moving here, but nothing could have prepared me for it. Orlando is most definitely not cloudier than Chicago, I've no idea where some people heard that? You certainly have never been to Orlando if you think so.

I wish I can move back, but moving isn't always so easy, we have a house, jobs, and baby on the way, plus it's pricey to move all the way down there!

Again, I love Chicago, there is no city like it and I know you can't have Chicago without the winter, but still, it doesn't mean that I won't break down walking on ice and fearing slipping on it and losing my baby.

Why did I say mid September was chilly (I said chilly, not freezing cold) I was wearing strapless dresses and shorts in February in FL, FL never gets chilly.

Difference is, you guys are used to it that you think this winter is mild, if you were in FL in August complaining about the heat, I'd say the same to you.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
As far as coping with the weather here; it is three fold.

1. If you think it is already starting to get chilly by September, you are not going to be able to cope with the cold unless you get used to it to some degree.

2. You have to come up with activities to do in winter.

3. Chicago is not the cloudiest of cities, but there is a seasonal cycle and Nov.- Jan. are the cloudiest. That combined with the weak sun angle/ less hours of daylight can screw with you mentally.
This is good advice, although I'm not too sure about the Vitamin D supplements leading to improved outlook.

If you have friends in Florida/California/Arizona that will be calling you in January while they are sitting outside at an outdoor cafe having dinner and drinks, while you are chipping the frost off your car windows...
If you feel like you are "missing something" and feel trapped inside during the cold months...
If the thought of cross country skiing sounds way too much like work...

Then Chicago might not work out for you...

The other thing that is minimized is that the southern cities have more daylight hours in winter than Chicago does. Chicago is 700-800 miles further north than cities like Atlanta, Houston, etc., and it makes a significant difference in the length of the day. Chicago with the sun going down at 4:30pm in Dec/Jan is a killer.

Finally, ignore posters who try to convince you that Chicago winters are similar to NY, Boston, Philly. Not true! I grew up in Philly, lived in Boston for 6 years, and Chicago for 13. The real issue is that Chicago at its worst is much worse than the East Coast cities. Chicago can be counted on to go below zero for a week, a couple times each winter. And Chicago can be counted on to have 1 or 2 significant snowfalls (10 inches or more) each winter. East Coast cities never go below zero, and it's big news if they even get to single digits, let alone the low teens. Also, the big snowfalls are much more rare on the East Coast, and are big news when they happen.

Of course Chicago boosters will point to this mild winter and say "See, Chicago winters are not bad."

Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junita View Post
Thanks for all your feedback, some replies were definitely helpful. People confuse hating winter with hating Chicago, thing is, I love Chicago, I just wish the winters were bearable! Lots of people warned me moving here, but nothing could have prepared me for it. Orlando is most definitely not cloudier than Chicago, I've no idea where some people heard that? You certainly have never been to Orlando if you think so.

I wish I can move back, but moving isn't always so easy, we have a house, jobs, and baby on the way, plus it's pricey to move all the way down there!

Again, I love Chicago, there is no city like it and I know you can't have Chicago without the winter, but still, it doesn't mean that I won't break down walking on ice and fearing slipping on it and losing my baby.

Why did I say mid September was chilly (I said chilly, not freezing cold) I was wearing strapless dresses and shorts in February in FL, FL never gets chilly.

Difference is, you guys are used to it that you think this winter is mild, if you were in FL in August complaining about the heat, I'd say the same to you.

Ive been to Orlando a lot actually. I know how Florida is.

Most of the time in the summer, theres always a noon storm, but its usually sunny despite it there being lots of storm clouds or clouds around and extreme humidity.

Florida is beautiful in the winter.

Florida is a very muggy and stormy state, so any notion of an odd stat showing more clouds than a northern city, while it may not be true, isnt out of the realm. Kind of like how Denver is sunnier than Orlando, Tampa and Miami. Youd never think it, but its true.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Finally, ignore posters who try to convince you that Chicago winters are similar to NY, Boston, Philly. Not true! I grew up in Philly, lived in Boston for 6 years, and Chicago for 13. The real issue is that Chicago at its worst is much worse than the East Coast cities. Chicago can be counted on to go below zero for a week, a couple times each winter. And Chicago can be counted on to have 1 or 2 significant snowfalls (10 inches or more) each winter. East Coast cities never go below zero, and it's big news if they even get to single digits, let alone the low teens. Also, the big snowfalls are much more rare on the East Coast, and are big news when they happen.

Of course Chicago boosters will point to this mild winter and say "See, Chicago winters are not bad."
This isnt true. Thats how we get our snow. If we're talking about last year's winter, the amount of snow (record breaking) and consistent snow storms were rare and newsworthy, but for a typical winter in the NE, big storms are how we get our snowfall, and not newsworthy at all. Last year we just didnt have a damn break. Pretty sure it was a record winter most places.

Chicago doesnt get Noreasters either. "nor'easters are known for bringing extremely cold air down from the Arctic air mass."

The last 5+ years its gotten in the single digits in the NE as well. Usually in February.

Id rather deal with frigid temps than record snow.

Last edited by HockeyGuy85; 03-06-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junita View Post

There are slip on that go over your boots or shoes called *** Traks. They provide you with grip for icy/snowy conditions. I use them for running in the winter, but have also used them over my boots for added traction.

I hope acclimating to the climate gets better; I can imagine it's difficult.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
This is good advice, although I'm not too sure about the Vitamin D supplements leading to improved outlook.

If you have friends in Florida/California/Arizona that will be calling you in January while they are sitting outside at an outdoor cafe having dinner and drinks, while you are chipping the frost off your car windows...
If you feel like you are "missing something" and feel trapped inside during the cold months...
If the thought of cross country skiing sounds way too much like work...

Then Chicago might not work out for you...

The other thing that is minimized is that the southern cities have more daylight hours in winter than Chicago does. Chicago is 700-800 miles further north than cities like Atlanta, Houston, etc., and it makes a significant difference in the length of the day. Chicago with the sun going down at 4:30pm in Dec/Jan is a killer.

Only in the winter do southern cities get more daylight hours. In the summer Northern cities get more daylight hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs