Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Best Buy is closing over 50 stores not just the one in matteson. Six of them are closing in the chicagoland area alone. It appears the Best Buy closed for legitimate reasons of increased competition and lack of profit. The company may in fact be headed towards bankruptcy. Race probably was not a factor as they are closing 5 other stores in the chicagoland area. Why the one in matteson closing is being harped on is beyond me. If you are nostalgic about best buy you can always go to the best buy in homewood which will remain open for now.

Overall the Matteson retail and restaurant landscape has improved in recent years not declined. The Best Buy closing is obviously a tough break. But just this month three new restaurants have opened in matteson. Five Guys, Bar Louie, And Chipotle. Which is good news because quality restaurants and entertainment is something that matteson really needs more of. And is something that I personally feel is lacking. The Bar Louie is great by the way and I watched a game up there and ate last week. There are plenty of concepts that will be very successful in matteson.
Gas is expensive. Free time isn't unlimited. It has nothing to do with "nostalgia". The Best Buy on Halsted isn't exactly down the street from the one in Matteson and you know it. You are talking about a different retail area..

The Best Buy in Tinley Park is just as close as the one in Homewood for a lot of people - If not closer. Halsted is fairly east, as in nearing Indiana. The Best Buy in Tinley is just one 1-80 exit west of I-57.

According to Google Maps, the Best Buy in Matteson is five minutes away from Illinois Street in Park Forest. From Illinois Street in Park Forest to the Best Buy in Tinley Park, it's a 15 minute drive. It's 16 minutes away from the Best Buy in Homewood. From Sauk Trail in Richton Park to the Tinley Park Best Buy, it's 15 minutes. Sauk Trail in Richton Park to the Best Buy on the northeast fringes of Homewood is 17 minutes. Main Street Matteson to the Tinley Park Best Buy is 15 minutes. Main Street in Matteson to the Best Buy on the northeast fringes of Homewood is 17 minutes.

I hope you didn't just skim that.

In other words, the Tinley Park location is actually CLOSER to three major streets in Richton Park, Matteson and Park Forest than the Homewood location. The Best Buy on Halsted is just as much "the area" as the one on Harlem Avenue in Tinley Park. But as my friend jokingly said when I told him that neither of these stores are closing down, "There could be a huge Illinois fire and somehow Homewood and Tinley would be unaffected".

It's true though. We can always drive further out when stores close down in Matteson. Like Spencer's Gifts, Blockbuster, Michaels and Johan's Fabrics.. I'll throw Jewel on there too even if it's Olympia Fields.

Last edited by urza216; 04-28-2012 at 11:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
In fairness Jewell probably was closed down due to food 4 less opening.

Food 4 less is owned by Kroger which is rather large albeit Jewels parent is large as well but they are more focused on the sav a lot store format.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
I can tell you there has been a huge shift in the far southern suburbs toward the sentiment of shopping in orland park, tinley park, and frankfort. I know very few people who live in Flossmoor, Matteson, Olympia Fields, Homewood, etc. these days. Who prefer to shop in orland park, tinley park, and frankfort. There might be a handful of people that still do that. Some of the old timer residents maybe. But, as the demographics have changed, the quality of retail and restaurants has slowly began to improve in the far southern suburbs. And will most likely continue to do so. Mainly because more and more of the current residents do not like shopping in orland park, tinley park, and frankfort. I happen to be one of those residents. Aside from quite frankly not feeling as welcomed, comfortable, and able to enjoy shopping or eating out in tinley park, frankfort, and orland park. Location wise it doesn't make much sense to drive all the way out there just to shop, or go to a nice restaurant. What retailers and restaurants are starting to find out is as the demographics have changed in the far southern suburbs. If a retailer or restaurant doesn't have a physical presences in the far southern suburbs than more than likely those residents won't be as open as the previous demographic of far south suburban residents to drive to orland park, tinley park, and frankfort.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I can tell you there has been a huge shift in the far southern suburbs toward the sentiment of shopping in orland park, tinley park, and frankfort. I know very few people who live in Flossmoor, Matteson, Olympia Fields, Homewood, etc. these days. Who prefer to shop in orland park, tinley park, and frankfort. There might be a handful of people that still do that. Some of the old timer residents maybe. But, as the demographics have changed, the quality of retail and restaurants has slowly began to improve in the far southern suburbs. And will most likely continue to do so. Mainly because more and more of the current residents do not like shopping in orland park, tinley park, and frankfort. I happen to be one of those residents. Aside from quite frankly not feeling as welcomed, comfortable, and able to enjoy shopping or eating out in tinley park, frankfort, and orland park. Location wise it doesn't make much sense to drive all the way out there just to shop, or go to a nice restaurant. What retailers and restaurants are starting to find out is as the demographics have changed in the far southern suburbs. If a retailer or restaurant doesn't have a physical presences in the far southern suburbs than more than likely those residents won't be as open as the previous demographic of far south suburban residents to drive to orland park, tinley park, and frankfort.
I think you are full of it. If you think "newer residents" east of 57 don't go to Tinley and Orland, you must not get out much. It is scary because the premise of your post is similar to what used to tick me off in Humblld1's posts. The younger generations are less close minded exploring areas that are just 15 minutes away. This really just a horse**** post about how black people don't shop in majority white areas.

This was posted from my iPhone. Take a wild guess where the only Apple store south of Chi is located. It ain't in Matteson or Cal City. I guess black people in the south suburbs don't have iPhones according to Allen2323. They don't go to bookstores either since the only one remaining is in Orland. The only VW dealership nearby is also in Orland. I guess either black people don't drive Volkswagens or they just never buy replacement parts needed for their car. Cuz black people don't go to Orland. They just let their car deteriorate and break down.

I grew up on what i guess would be 212th street just east of Matteson. It is boring. Don't you ever get tired of seeing the same old people? I guess you never leave your element, huh? And you claim to have a college degree and own your own business?

Last edited by urza216; 04-29-2012 at 01:52 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I think you are full of it. The younger generations are less close minded exploring areas that are just 15 minutes away. But since I am white, there is no point in arguing with you. Since is really just horse**** post about how black people don't shop in majority white areas.

This was posted from my iPhone. Take a wild guess where the only Apple store south of Chi is located. It ain't in Matteson or Cal City. I guess black people in the south suburbs don't have iPhones according to Allen2323. They don't go to bookstores either since the only one remaining is in Orland.
Listen I have no idea how things got like that in tinley park, orland park, etc. But quite frankly the reality is those areas are pretty racially segregated. Why that is I don't exactly know. I'm well aware that most current residents living in flossmoor, homewood, olympia fields, matteson, etc. don't hold shopping in orland park or tinley park in very high regard. Certainly not as much as previous residents resorted to it. I personally don't feel like I'm made to shop, eat out, or hang out anywhere. If I don't want to be bothered with being around a completely segregated environment or driving out of my way. Then I just won't bother with it. This is chicago and there are plenty of areas that I completely enjoy shopping, eating out, and hanging out in. My area, downtown, the south side, wicker park, lincoln park, all over the city. I prefer being in areas that reflect the actual makeup of the chicagoland area. I personally don't want to live in or hang out in a racially segregated area.

Last edited by allen2323; 04-29-2012 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Listen I have no idea how things got like that in tinley park, orland park, etc. But quite frankly the reality is those areas are pretty racially segregated. Why that is I don't exactly know. I'm well aware that most current residents living in flossmoor, homewood, olympia fields, matteson, etc. don't hold shopping in in orland park or tinley park in very high regard. Certainly not as much as previous residents resorted to it. I personally don't feel like I'm made to shop, eat out, or hang out anywhere. If I don't want to be bothered with being around a completely segregated environment or driving out of my way. Then I just won't bother with it.
Ok. I will cool off. You still have a lot of things to say that I appreciate being spoken.

The problem is that Chicagoland is segregated. But you are right that it is more segregated in the southwest suburbs than east of 57. However, Orland Mall is without a doubt more diverse than Lincoln, River Oaks and Southlake. Even an Asian and Middle Eastern presence can be seen. I too appreciate diversity and between Orland and River Oaks, there is really no contest.

I'm white and although i appreciate diversity, i have no problem walking into a store or dining at a restaurant where all other patrons or group of patrons are black. In fact, if it is Matteson, it gets kinda boring after 25 years.

Best Buy is a place I go to get the electronic stuff I need. I am not there for the experience of going out, if that makes sense.

Last edited by urza216; 04-29-2012 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: At

Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Allen, I went to Chipotle in Matteson on Friday night. I walked in the door and was immediately standing in line. A black family (mother, a wife and thier kids) was talking to my for some reason, mostly the dad. I told them I was here to see what all he fuss was about. The mon said it was really good but this is this first time here because they usually go to the Chipotle in Tinley. The father continued to rant complaining about the wait. Some teenage girl who wasn't with them (and was black) then said "yeah, by the time we get our food it would have been quicker to drive to Tinley Park.

Today, before coming in to work 4 to midnight, I had lunch with two friends in Tinley Park at New China Buffet. It was recommended to us by another friend who is black and lives on Chicago Heights (was that town included in your "ect." statement?). He told us it was "better han Hibachi's". Actually, this is the same friend who made fire comment about Homewood and Tinley earlier.

I think you are full of it. Only closed minded minded people"just don't go to" thriving areas close to where they live. I bet you have never eaten at Stake and Shake before.. Since it's not in Matteson or cal city, lol. There is one in Merrillville and another one in Tinley though.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Allen, I went to Chipotle in Matteson on Friday night. I walked in the door and was immediately standing in line. A black family (mother, a wife and thier kids) was talking to my for some reason, mostly the dad. I told them I was here to see what all he fuss was about. The mon said it was really good but this is this first time here because they usually go to the Chipotle in Tinley. The father continued to rant complaining about the wait. Some teenage girl who wasn't with them (and was black) then said "yeah, by the time we get our food it would have been quicker to drive to Tinley Park.

Today, before coming in to work 4 to midnight, I had lunch with two friends in Tinley Park at New China Buffet. It was recommended to us by another friend who is black and lives on Chicago Heights (was that town included in your "ect." statement?). He told us it was "better han Hibachi's". Actually, this is the same friend who made fire comment about Homewood and Tinley earlier.

I think you are full of it. Only closed minded minded people"just don't go to" thriving areas close to where they live. I bet you have never eaten at Stake and Shake before.. Since it's not in Matteson or cal city, lol. There is one in Merrillville and another one in Tinley though.
I think you just totally misconstrued what I said. I don't like shopping in orland park. Not because I am a closed minded individual. It's not like orland mall is five minutes from my house and I drive past it to go shop somewhere else. It's a good 25 minutes from my house and requires using an expressway to get there.

I was just pointing out the obvious fact that with the changing demographics in the southern suburbs. That orland park's standing as being the preferred shopping destination for the majority of residents living in the southern suburbs has gradually weakened. With the more current demographic of residents living in suburbs such as flossmoor, homewood, olympia fields, matteson, etc. would now much rather prefer to shop and eat out closer to there own neighborhoods and around a more diverse demographic that better resembles there neighborhood. Furthermore, many including myself don't so much like the idea of a suburban area that is less than 1 percent black such as orland park diverting sales tax revenues that should be going toward south suburban schools and services in our neighborhoods. I think that was a situation that was preferred by the majority of previous residents in the south suburbs. Because they preferred shopping around the demographics of residents living in orland park over shopping and mingling with a large percentage of black patrons in there localized area. And were willing to drive further for what they deemed to be a more enjoyable outing. Versus majority of the current residents who deem it as less enjoyable and want to spend there money in a more racially diverse atmosphere. And closer to home.

Last edited by allen2323; 04-30-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Quote:
Overall the Matteson retail and restaurant landscape has improved in recent years not declined....
Absolutely!

TJ Maxx and JoAnn Fabrics moved to Homewood.

Michaels and Old Navy moved to Tinley.

Best Buy opened new stores in Tinley and Homewood, and now they are closing the one in Matteson.

Pier One downgraded their Matteson store to a clearance center years ago, before finally closing entirely.

Kohl's never opened a store in Matteson, the only retail hub in Chicagland not to get one. Over the last decade, though, they've opened stores in Frankfort, Homewood and Tinley Park.

Then there's the mall, half empty and half demolished.

Yup, definitely a retail boomtown!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I think you just totally misconstrued what I said. I don't like shopping in orland park. Not because I am a closed minded individual. It's not like orland mall is five minutes from my house and I drive past it to go shop somewhere else. It's a good 25 minutes from my house and requires using an expressway to get there.

I was just pointing out the obvious fact that with the changing demographics in the southern suburbs. That orland park's standing as being the preferred shopping destination for the majority of residents living in the southern suburbs has gradually weakened. With the more current demographic of residents living in suburbs such as flossmoor, homewood, olympia fields, matteson, etc. would now much rather prefer to shop and eat out closer to there own neighborhoods and around a more diverse demographic that better resembles there neighborhood. Furthermore, many including myself don't so much like the idea of a suburban area that is less than 1 percent black such as orland park diverting sales tax revenues that should be going toward south suburban schools and services in our neighborhoods. I think that was a situation that was preferred by the majority of previous residents in the south suburbs. Because they preferred shopping around the demographics of residents living in orland park over shopping and mingling with a large percentage of black patrons in there localized area. And were willing to drive further for what they deemed to be a more enjoyable outing. Versus majority of the current residents who deem it as less enjoyable and want to spend there money in a more racially diverse atmosphere. And closer to home.
Ok. You are right that I misunderstood. I get what you're saying now. I agree that people should try to support local bussineses (or the closest retail areas). But at the same time, if your neighorhood doesn't have what you are looking for, there is no shame in going elsewhere.

However, I disagree that, for example, going to the Target in Matteson is gonna be more racially diverse experience than going the Target in Orland Park. Actually, it's about the same - only reversed. Both have a significantly visible presence of blacks and whites. It's clear who's the majority in both stores and you're not gonna see too many other races. Neither the Target in Matteson nor the Target in Orland is a racially diverse crowd.

I also disagree that there has been any change in attitudes among residents about supporting local bussiness. The current residents drives out, the past residents drive out and chances are, the future residents will drive out. And then when you start talking about "demographics", I think you are full of it.. Whites and blacks in the area are exactly the same. They shop and dine locally but they drive further out a lot too. It's the Matteson way.

I think that Chipotle opening up is A BAD THING. It takes business away from small Mexican restaurants in Chicago Heights that are actually worth eating at. It definitely takes business away from the Pepe's in Matteson but I'm not too concerned about Pepe's. I hope the Mexican restaurants in the area continue to prosper. I don't care too much about Five Guys. But if Steak and Shake opened up in Matteson, that would be awesome.

One thing that I will say about Tinley Park... Well, I ran over a pile of ****** broken glass tonight pulling out of a parking lot in Matteson. Does this douche bag understand how much tires cost? Talk about something that wouldn't happen in Tinley Park! I got love for the areas around Matteson because of most of the people here but not all of them. There is a small percentage of douche bags who I don't like at all.

Quote:
Because they preferred shopping around the demographics of residents living in orland park over shopping and mingling with a large percentage of black patrons in there localized area.
Quote:
A black family (mother, a wife and their kids) was talking to my for some reason, mostly the dad.
Maybe I'm paranoid and over analyzing. But I do wish when I had written that, I hadn't included the phrase "for some reason" because an explanation to what I meant is irrelevant to my point. The post was really a rebuttal to the racial undertones in your post..

But if you remove race from the equation, I was a young man with a goatie who walked in alone. I was using my iPhone to check into Chipotle on Facebook and I had my hoodie up like Trayvon Martin (yeah, I said it). The sweet American family started talking to me "for some reason" while standing in line at the carry out restaurant. :P

Last edited by urza216; 05-01-2012 at 02:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs