Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 PM

11 posts, read 29,271 times

Advertisements

I may be taking a job in Park Ridge, and I understand that it has a good reputation as far as schools, safety, etc. But I have a couple of concerns: Is it very conservative? Are there any cool hole in the wall restaurants or bars? (Also sort of concerned about noise from O'Hare.)

I guess I am hoping to find a place with good schools, but with a high percentage of Democrats, and some kind of youngish feel. We are in our early 40s, but want to be near places to see (good) live music, grab a beer in a somewhat dirty bar, discover cheap restaurants near our home. Know what I mean? I will be visiting Park Ridge before I accept this job, but wonder if anyone has recs for other places that would be in easy commuting distance of both Park Ridge and downtown.

Basically, I want a mid-1990s East or West Village of NY ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
You'll get better answers from current residents, but I stay at a number of hotels on the Chicago/Park Ridge line, and I would not call the area a cultural hub of any kind. Thete are a number of hotels, chain restaurants, grocery stores, and the Blue Line(subway) is right there, but no real nightclubs to speak of, as the area is largely suburban and family-oriented. It's very nice, but not terribly lively in an artistic sense..

Old 04-17-2012, 02:32 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
What do you consider commuting distance? Will you be commuting by car or train?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyct View Post
I guess I am hoping to find a place with good schools, but with a high percentage of Democrats, and some kind of youngish feel. We are in our early 40s, but want to be near places to see (good) live music, grab a beer in a somewhat dirty bar, discover cheap restaurants near our home. Know what I mean? I will be visiting Park Ridge before I accept this job, but wonder if anyone has recs for other places that would be in easy commuting distance of both Park Ridge and downtown.

Basically, I want a mid-1990s East or West Village of NY ...

Good schools, high percentage of Dems and dirty bars.....is not computing.

You want a place built in the mid 90's with the neighborhood feel of the east or west village? Do I have this right? Also not computing...

Main South High School in Park Ridge is generally considered one of the better suburban high schools.

Adjacent Edison Park ( Chicago) sounds more like your kind of neighborhood than Park Ridge except for the school situation.

You could live and school in Park Ridge and seek your entertainment in Edison Park.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 PM

Oak Park Dude--I would prefer train but car if I have to. But I'd like to be within 25-30 minutes probably.

Middle-Aged Mom: Idea of living in PR but finding nightlife elsewhere (during those few opportunities we get) is probably the way we're going to have to go, because I know what I dream of doesn't really exist. Also, I was referring to the East or West Village that existed in the 90s, not someplace built in the 90s. Things have changed a lot in downtown NY since then. Too gentrified. No grit.

Here in CT we made the mistake of going too rural, and have regretted it. I know Park Ridge isn't rural, and it seems like a great place for a family, so it will probably be okay for us.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Oak Park Dude--I would prefer train but car if I have to. But I'd like to be within 25-30 minutes probably.
Assuming you know the location of the job, you should be able to figure out if it is close enough to the subway or Metra station to make public transit feasible.

Downtown Park Ridge is pretty nice actually, several restaurants, a movie theater, and commuter rail to Chicago. Not the hippest place, but more family-oriented. For a more edgy environment, you'll have to look in the city of Chicago or one of the traditionally hippy, liberal suburban enclaves: Evanston or Oak Park.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Thanks again, OPD. We have always thought that Oak Park would be great for us, but a friend told me it would be a tough commute to Park Ridge. Evanston--haven't looked into.

I did see that the Pickwick is still in Park Ridge, which is great. I guess maybe I'm trying to talk myself out of Park Ridge or something. I can be annoying that way. To myself and others. I really appreciate your help.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks again, OPD. We have always thought that Oak Park would be great for us, but a friend told me it would be a tough commute to Park Ridge. Evanston--haven't looked into.

I did see that the Pickwick is still in Park Ridge, which is great. I guess maybe I'm trying to talk myself out of Park Ridge or something. I can be annoying that way. To myself and others. I really appreciate your help.
Depending on your exact origin and destination, a commute from Oak Park to Park Ridge might be doable in 30-40 minutes. If Oak Park seems very desirable to you, I wouldn't rule it out without doing the necessary due diligence. I'm obviously biased, but I like it here and would probably do the commute rather than live in Park Ridge. That being said, Park Ridge is a fine town too.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM

12 posts, read 56,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Depending on your exact origin and destination, a commute from Oak Park to Park Ridge might be doable in 30-40 minutes. If Oak Park seems very desirable to you, I wouldn't rule it out without doing the necessary due diligence. I'm obviously biased, but I like it here and would probably do the commute rather than live in Park Ridge. That being said, Park Ridge is a fine town too.

I live in Oak Park and work in Park Ridge. The drive isn't too bad, usually 35ish minutes to get there in the morning and around 45-50 minutes coming home in the evening. Evanston would be a good alternative, the drive would probably be a bit shorter depending on exactly what part of town you're going to. I would definitely look at both of these if the commute is acceptable to you, though at least from Oak Park, you'd be driving.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
It doesn't have "grit" but check out downtown Arlington Heights as well as a comparison to PR. D25 and Hersey or Prospect HS will be comparable to the quality of schools in Park Ridge. Des Plaines downtown has come along way and has a bit of "grit" (for a suburb), but there schools are a notch or 2 down from PR and AH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs