Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,508 times

Advertisements

The Northwest Tollway has recently been renamed the Jane Adams Memorial Tollway. I am really pleased by this, usually it's only the rich and powerful that get highways named in their honor. There does seem to be some irony in naming a toll road for a champion of the poor, though. In case your wondering why the Northwest Tollway, she went to college in Rockford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,209 times
Now all we need is a name for 57.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
Here are a few proposals:

Cornfield Highway
Highway of Boredom
Highway to the other part of Illinois.
The 'man, this scenery blows' Highway

Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,350 times
Default Hello 'prairiestate'

I would like to pick up on your original marquis. And that said, "Traffic Backed UP at Roselle Road." From there, you talk about Jane Adams. But let's go back to your original subject. In my opiniion, your backed up traffic is one of the first melt downs in grid blocked Chicago area traffic. At the approximate time that you wrote your 'op', there was a very serious accident at County Farm Road and Sterns Road.Even in the Wheaton, IL / Carol Stream, IL area traffic was completely blocked. County Farm Road at Geneva Road had a large number of police cars blocking rush hour traffic from traveling north on County Farm Road. And even in my own neighborhood - - an estimated five to seven miles south of the accident - - traffic was grid locked on our main thorough - fares.
So for people who seem to think that the Chicago area is a bed of roses - - what happens when we get a Chicago blizzard and people are tryiing to drive home? I have been employed during two Chicago blizzards. I am now retired. But during the last blizzard, it took me in access of five hours to automobile - drive approximately 15 miles to my home. Snow was EVERYWHERE and the roads were like parking lots.

Carter Glass

Old 09-27-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
during the last blizzard...Snow was EVERYWHERE
No way!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No way!
psh, next time you'll be telling me theres water all over when it rains

seriously, people around here act as if we're the only city that has bad traffic. or weather.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
psh, next time you'll be telling me theres water all over when it rains

seriously, people around here act as if we're the only city that has bad traffic. or weather.
No doubt. And to be honest, I dont think the weather here is nearly as bad as most other areas of the country. Winter can be harsh, but just be glad we dont live in MPLS or International Falls! Fall here is gorgeous, spring is a rollercoaster, but generally quite decent. Summer here can be horribly sticky, but only in short stints. Overall I give Chicago's weather a B-.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
Here's a good local mystery. We used to have the Calumet Expressway, approriately named since it ran through the Calumet region, which has a strong local identity. Then someone decides they want to honor Bishop Ford by naming an expressway after him. That's fine, but why didn't we name I-57 after him and leave the Calumet alone? Especially when you consider the risk that someone may think the expressway (the Calumet/Bishop Ford) was named for the huge Ford plant it runs past, and the Ford stamping plant in Chicago Heights it runs near.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Here are a few proposals:

Cornfield Highway
Highway of Boredom
Highway to the other part of Illinois.
The 'man, this scenery blows' Highway
Yes, but it's free.

I'm mulling turning in my I-Pass over the name change. How dare they mess up "Northwest Tollway" !!!

Sigh, less than 8 weeks until the I-355 extension opens.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Sigh, less than 8 weeks until the I-355 extension opens.
Whoo Hoo!!! Another 10 miles of gridlock! We'll beat L.A. yet!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs