Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:08 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times

Advertisements

Its probably all supply and demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Its probably all supply and demand.
Exactly, the supply of apartments in Naperville can't be all that big.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Exactly, the supply of apartments in Naperville can't be all that big.
Why hasn't supply met demand? Zoning issues?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
My educated guess is that suburbs like Naperville discourage apartment construction and encourage SFH construction (zoning is probably one aspect of this strategy), thus artificially lowering the supply of apartments relative to what the market would normally supply.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 6,838 times
Quote:
Which is about what it costs in the city! It doesn't make sense because if you tried to have a house in the city that had the same yard and square feet as a house in Naperville, the price would probably be double if you could find on that size, yet apartments are the same. There's only on Chicago, but many suburbs.

So I guess a better way to look at this question is why would a home with a yard in Naperville cost so much less than a similar sized on in Lakeview, yet apartments are about the same?

Why did you get a place in Napeville over the city?
More space, less crime, less congestion, friends that live nearby, ez drive to work...it was an easy call for me. Ultimately my 2nd choice was Lombard.

My job is in Broadview, which is close to the city, but not close to any part of the city that I would consider living in. My new apartment is 3 minutes off of I-88 and a straight shot right to work...I can't beat that. I am moving from Algonquin, which is a horrid drive to and from Broadview...so lessening the drive was a big deal to me. I have wasted too much of my life commuting to and from work.

I would consider living in Chicago someday. But probably not unless I landed a job on the north side or in the north suburbs.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:23 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Many suburbs in the area are notorious for not allowing apartments. Mod edit.

Last edited by linicx; 08-01-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 03:16 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Many suburbs in the area are notorious for not allowing apartments. Mod cut
its not like there's no apartments in naperville there's plenty of apartments spread across variou parts of naperville. i know you think its kinda hoity to not allow apartments but in all honestly all the worst areas of naperville, i realize the worst area of naperville is still not bad bad, are in apartments. the apartments off baily and washington are bad. there's more apartments on ogden and aurora ave behind the landrover dealership that just had a giant drug bust encompassing the entire neighborhood and the apartments across from railway the brown ones are problems music til 3 or 4 am, some shooting incidents, etc.

i do wish naperville had some apartments downtown naperville or nearby. currently the only houses/townhouses/apartments down ther are like half a million no the low side

Last edited by linicx; 08-01-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 11:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
The biggest problems with apartments anywhere are lax/no rules and slumlords who do not care. If the apartment is nice, with reasonable rules that are strictly enforced, there is no real reason to worry about a Sec 8 tenant. Not all poor are the dregs of society and dangerous.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 AM

5 posts, read 6,838 times
There are a lot of apartment complexes throughout Naperville. My friend gave me the tour 2 weeks ago, and we only covered the northern part of Naperville....and that took a good while. The ones I rented a place from are right behind the Ogden 6 theatre. I have a friend who lives there, and the tenants there don't seem trashy at all to me.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:01 PM

115 posts, read 174,551 times
That's because Naperville is an affluent suburb with nightlife, shopping centers, and a big commercialized downtown area. Not to mention the Riverwalk, pool, and other points of interest. This is like comparing Palo Alto to San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs