Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,545,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We want to keep to the North/NW burbs.

We're also researching the Stevenson H.S. district. But it doesn't appear that any of the towns that feed into Stevenson (Buffalo Grove, Lincolnshire, Long Grove) have much of a town center (shops, parks, etc.).

We like Libertyville and Arlington Heights and will explore these options. I've heard Libertyville is a tough commute to the city though. Arlington Heights is a better location.

We'll continue to look at the North Shore and New Trier. Just can't beat the location, schools, and proximity to the lake.
Actually, Long Grove has an adorable town center with cute little shops. I love downtown Long Grove, and I believe they feed into Stevenson High School. You may want to check that town out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 09:03 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,388,091 times
I think we'll limit our search to towns that feed into either the New Trier or Stevenson high schools.

Our family is not materialistic, however we are all highly competitive with academics and athletics (parents were college athletes, kids are currently in gifted classes/travel sports, etc.). I don't believe we compete through our kids though. I think we were all born this way. If we move to the North Shore, I will resist all temptation to own a BMW or grow Mums.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 16,718 times
Default Vernon Hills

You may also want to look at Vernon Hills. It's a little more integrated than Stevenson. It has a much more diverse economic population than Stevenson as well. Great parks, NO CITY REAL ESTATE TAX, and the school sports teams are geared towards accepting more talent ranges not just the best. For example the Vernon Hills girls swim team has some girls on it that couldn't swim at the start of the season. Did they get soundly trounced by Stevenson? Sure, but I doubt their coaches would even consider offering the opportunity to someone who couldn't swim.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:29 AM

Default Vernon Hills schools

Thanks for the info. I looked up some stats on the Vernon Hills H.S. and they are indeed rated very highly on academics, class size, test scores, etc. I've driven through the town and can only remember the mall/shopping areas. What are the residential areas like? Do other towns feed into the H.S.? (Libertyville, Mundelein?) Thanks!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:40 AM

677 posts, read 4,213,031 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I looked up some stats on the Vernon Hills H.S. and they are indeed rated very highly on academics, class size, test scores, etc. I've driven through the town and can only remember the mall/shopping areas. What are the residential areas like? Do other towns feed into the H.S.? (Libertyville, Mundelein?) Thanks!
The eastern edge of Mundelein attends Vernon Hills HS, and the southern part of Libertyville is in a choice zone where residents can send their kids to Vernon Hills or Libertyville HS.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,142 times
Default North Shore

You would like Wilmette. I live in central Wilmette and I can walk to the library, post office, downtown, Metra train, city hall, Pace bus, grocery store, and although they are a little farther I can also walk to the el train and beach if I want to. The beach will provide endless hours of fun for your family. Unless you grew up in a beach town I just can't tell you how nice it is to live in a town that has a public waterfront. If you want to own a small sailboat or sailboard there is a public sailing.
Wilmette is not quite as snotty as many of the North Shore towns, and it is more diverse than most. This is mainly because of the large amount of relatively affordable houses in west Wilmette. A dozen or so years ago Wilmette took 5th grade out of the elementary districts and put 5th and 6th in a middle school, and 7th and 8th in the junior high, and that means that 5th grade and up your children will go to school with almost all of Wilmette. While this may not sound like a good thing at first glance, I can tell you that it was good for my daughters. They were always able to find a group of kids to hang with, and in some of the smaller districts that might not have been the case. Approx. 40% of the kids in a New Trier class come from Wilmette District 39.
Now to the subject of New Trier High School. My eldest claims not to have liked it, but when I pointed out that the $$ that NT spent on the theatre program would not have been available at most high schools she did grudingly say I was right. My younger daughter did like NT. Although I would say that she worked her butt off. She is a bright kid that participated in sports, which meant that she often didn't get to sleep until 1 or 2 in the morning. Once again the $$ that NT has to spend on academics paid off for her as well.
Overall I would say that Wilmette has gotten more snotty in recent years, but there is still a core of middle class people that moved here to provide a good education for their children. And yes, to quote my friend Barbara, "In Wilmette a beater is a car of distinction" Although I am not sure that a five year old car will qualify you for that accolade.

I wish you luck, Tedie

Old 10-14-2007, 09:19 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,625,722 times
Quote:
I will resist all temptation to own a BMW or grow Mums.
OK, I give up-whats wrong with mums???

Old 10-16-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Mums are beautiful...

It's not the mums, it's what they represent to Evanstonian...

Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Wimette

Thanks for the info on Wilmette. I planned on taking a closer look at this town as it has a great location, schools, etc. I also love that it's pedestrian friendly. I'm so tired of having to drive everywhere. Of course, the lake is a big draw for us. My hubby loves sailing but, unfortunately, I get seasick. Love the beach and swimming though.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Question More high school advice needed...

Thanks everyone for all the info! I'd love more advice on North/Northwest burb high schools from experienced parents, teachers, former students, etc.

Here is my dilemna: Assuming that your college-bound student has strong skills (and parental support) in academics and athletics, do you think it's better they attend a large, highly competitive high school (e.g. Stevenson, New Trier) OR Would your child have more opportunity to shine if they attended a smaller high school with students of more diverse academic backgrounds (i.e. school has lower overall test results, but still has lots of AP classes, good athletics, etc.).

Would welcome any advice as this is a big move for our family.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 10-18-2007 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs