Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:58 AM

37 posts, read 195,900 times

Advertisements

Why is Evanston out of the picture? The black and white neighborhoods are segregated in Evanston with some mixed, but the schools are very diverse. Although there are probably more different ethnicities in Skokie.

But NT is NOT diverse. My nephew just graduated last year and my niece is a star athlete and A student there. We grew up in Evanston and moved back here. My brother obviously moved to Wilmette. Frankly, my parents were nervous about us having black friends in the 70's at ETHS and now we openly joke about the fact that NT is so homogeneous. My parents moved to Wilmette recently too and, while the taxes are really high, they're a bit lower than Evanston.

Last edited by LadyPleiades; 10-24-2007 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 09:07 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,393,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPleiades View Post
Why is Evanston out of the picture? The black and white neighborhoods are segregated in Evanston with some mixed, but the schools are very diverse. Although there are probably more different ethnicities in Skokie.
I always liked Evanston... the people, the historic homes, the location. I don't know much about the schools though. I'd read some negative postings on this site about the schools. I think the math and science scores were lower than other schools I'd looked at. But I know test scores don't always give an accurate picture. I'm going to start looking at school websites to get more info on curriculum, sports, etc. Maybe this will give me better details on Evanston.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 10,934 times
Have you considered Roycemore School in Evanston? It is a private k-12 school?

Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackandjill View Post
Have you considered Roycemore School in Evanston? It is a private k-12 school?
No, we're hoping to find a good public school system. We are currently at a private school that has a classical educational philosophy (emphasis on language, arts, Latin, etc.) and don't feel it's a good fit. We'd like a traditional school that focuses more on core subjects, particularly math and science. These are the areas in which my kids excel and need to be challenged.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:00 PM

69 posts, read 215,277 times
Default another view on sports at New Trier

[quote=homewifeev;1779229]In New Trier Township it is extremely difficult to make sports teams.

Both Girls and Boys swimming at New Trier High school are no cut...anyone can be on those teams.
Also, Crew ( Rowing ) is fairly new at New Trier, and few kids have had any background in it, making it an even shot for most incoming students....
the sport has been at New Trier for only about 5 years, but last year they won the Midwest Championships.....
Also, track and cross country are pretty easy teams to get on to....easy to get ready for on your own, without needing special training....

Old 10-27-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomom2 View Post
Both Girls and Boys swimming at New Trier High school are no cut...anyone can be on those teams.
Also, Crew ( Rowing ) is fairly new at New Trier, and few kids have had any background in it, making it an even shot for most incoming students....
the sport has been at New Trier for only about 5 years, but last year they won the Midwest Championships.....
Also, track and cross country are pretty easy teams to get on to....easy to get ready for on your own, without needing special training....
Thanks for the info. New Trier is still at the top of our list. The kids are young and are now loving soccer, basketball, tennis and skiing (and maybe cross country, swimming, volleyball, and/or field hockey in the future). Rowing sounds like a great sport but, unfortunately, our kids (who are very tall and long-legged) do not have great amounts of upper body strength. So probably rowing is not the best sport for them.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:57 PM

69 posts, read 215,277 times
Default rowing

Height is the number ONE thing that rowing teams look for !! They ( the team) will develop the upper body strength for your kids, trust me on that one....
lots of chances for college scholarships for tall rowers....check it out, height is sooo important.....and the area they work on developing is the back and legs, anyway....

Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomom2 View Post
Height is the number ONE thing that rowing teams look for !! They ( the team) will develop the upper body strength for your kids, trust me on that one....
lots of chances for college scholarships for tall rowers....check it out, height is sooo important.....and the area they work on developing is the back and legs, anyway....
Thanks for the great info! I had no idea that height was that important for Crew. The kids have always loved rowing and kayaking during summer lake trips. I'll definitely look into this....

Old 11-01-2007, 01:11 PM

939 posts, read 2,383,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Ahava, thanks for the EXCELLENT info!

We have been looking at most of the schools you listed. Libertyville and Lake Forest are probably too far north. I just spoke to a friend with kids in Barrington and found out the elem. schools are using the Chicago Math program which we dislike. Since our kids are excelling with more traditional math, that may rule out Barrington.

So, we're left with Deerfield, Glenbrook North, Highland Park, New Trier, and Stevenson. I am going to start looking at the elementary and middle schools in these districts.

Since your such a great resource, could you please answer a few more questions:

1. Can you recommend any elem./mid. schools that seem to best prepare kids for Stevenson? I heard the Kildeer/Long Grove schools are strong. Or, are many of the successful H.S. students coming from a private school or homeschool background? If so, which private schools?

2. Do you know if the elem. schools have gifted pull-out programs? I heard they are able to do a more individualized learning plan for each student.

3. Since the school is so large, is it very difficult to make varsity sports teams (particulary basketball and soccer)? Or, do some sports have a no-cut policy?

4. Of the high schools we're looking at, are there any that seem to have stronger math and science programs, clubs, and resources?

Thanks for all your help with this. I really appreciate it!

I can give you some information on Highland Park, if you are still looking...

1. "Best" elementary schools to prepare for high school would probably be Braeside, Lincoln and Ravinia but most all elementary schools in HP are good.

2. The elementary schools have some gifted pull-out programs but this is not a focus of the public school system. However, unless your child is truly gifted, and not just accelerated, advanced, or bright, your child will be challenged. Remember, for the most part, every student comes from a fairly high SES and well-educated parents, so most of the students are academically inclined even as they enter the primary grade levels. Many students read above (to way above) grade level and have similar abilities in math as well. They do not use Chicago math. I believe the program is through Houghton Mifflin.

3. It is not as difficult to make a sports team at Highland Park as it would be at New Trier or Stevenson. I don't know if it's because of size (I believe Stevenson and New Trier are much larger) or something else. HP is not known for winning alot of championships, though I think the tennis team always does quite well.

4. All of the schools on the north shore, as well as Stevenson, Deerfield and Glenbrook North, will have excellent extra-curricular opportunities and good math and science programs. It will be what your child makes of the opportunities that are available.

With regard to your concerns about money and snobbery... I actually find that people on the north shore are less concerned about money than many other places. Maybe it's because so many people have it that, what's the point of trying to distinguish who has the most, it's just a fact of life.

I live on the north shore and we're very comfortable, but don't have the big money that floats around here. I have never been made to feel uncomfortable about it (because who really knows who has what anyway) and I don't think there's any more flaunting or materialism here than any of the equally and even less affluent suburbs around Chicago.

Good luck.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
I can give you some information on Highland Park, if you are still looking...

1. "Best" elementary schools to prepare for high school would probably be Braeside, Lincoln and Ravinia but most all elementary schools in HP are good.

2. The elementary schools have some gifted pull-out programs but this is not a focus of the public school system. However, unless your child is truly gifted, and not just accelerated, advanced, or bright, your child will be challenged. Remember, for the most part, every student comes from a fairly high SES and well-educated parents, so most of the students are academically inclined even as they enter the primary grade levels. Many students read above (to way above) grade level and have similar abilities in math as well. They do not use Chicago math. I believe the program is through Houghton Mifflin.

3. It is not as difficult to make a sports team at Highland Park as it would be at New Trier or Stevenson. I don't know if it's because of size (I believe Stevenson and New Trier are much larger) or something else. HP is not known for winning alot of championships, though I think the tennis team always does quite well.

4. All of the schools on the north shore, as well as Stevenson, Deerfield and Glenbrook North, will have excellent extra-curricular opportunities and good math and science programs. It will be what your child makes of the opportunities that are available.

With regard to your concerns about money and snobbery... I actually find that people on the north shore are less concerned about money than many other places. Maybe it's because so many people have it that, what's the point of trying to distinguish who has the most, it's just a fact of life.

I live on the north shore and we're very comfortable, but don't have the big money that floats around here. I have never been made to feel uncomfortable about it (because who really knows who has what anyway) and I don't think there's any more flaunting or materialism here than any of the equally and even less affluent suburbs around Chicago.

Good luck.
Thanks for the excellent info. People are great on this forum. Our H.S. list is still: Deerfield, Glenbrook North, Highland Park, New Trier, and Stevenson.

Some of the pluses for HP are excellent academics and the HS is smaller (maybe gives an advantage in sports, etc.). Also love the town and location. A friend relayed that she heard the HS is having problems with gangs from Highwood. Is that true? If so, probably not different from most public HS.

Excellent point on gifted programming. Our kids were labeled as "gifted" based on assessment testing (not IQ tests) because that is how our school addresses accelerated learners. We were given the option of either skipping a grade or enrolling in the gifted program. I would love to find an elem. school that effectively addresses kids that are accelerated by either providing more differentiated instruction/groupings within the classroom or perhaps allowing kids to move ahead a grade or two for a specific subject (e.g. math). Many students in our district come from a lower SES (fewer # of college educated parents, etc.) so I'm hoping that simply moving to a better performing district will give the kids the challenge that they need (hopefully, my expectations are not too high).

Another good point about money and snobbery. I'm starting to think that we are in one of those "new money" (hate the term) areas that everyone keeps posting about. I think the snobbery in this area is pretty bad. Today a friend told me she thought it was ridiculous I would spend 1.5 M to get an old shack on the north shore when I could get a McMansion in the area we're in. She did not understand my points about good schools and location.

Thanks again for the info. Would love to hear from anyone with more info on the school districts we're looking at...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs