Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM

203 posts, read 386,062 times

Advertisements

This is true. However, the more affordable SFH's tend to be north of Roosevelt Road or immediately south of it. North of Roosevelt, it's probably easier to take Roosevelt east to I-355, on which you can go south for a couple miles to get to I-88.

The differences in the commute from Elmhurst relative to Wheaton are relatively minor. It would probably be far more important to try to figure out where the OP's son is more comfortable socially. The differences in the commute from either relative to Oak Park are more significant, but it may be worth the extra commute for some families.

Incidentally, I'm seeing quite a few SFH's in Wheaton for under $200K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,420 times
Elmhurst by far! It is centrally located, safe, and has great schools.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,997 times
Oak Park is also "centrally located, safe, and has great schools", but it's up to what the OP wants for her child.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Oak Park is also "centrally located, safe, and has great schools", but it's up to what the OP wants for her child.
Oak Park is 50 minutes to Elgin which is fairly long. It is also 29 minutes to Oak Lawn which is fine.

Elmhurst is 39 minutes to Elgin and 30 minutes to Oak Lawn.

This is without traffic and from the center of the cities. With traffic it will be longer and Elmhurst is more reasonable for a commute.

I also don't understand why you are giving me attitude when I did not address anyone and and only gave a positive suggestion.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 AM

I'm not giving you "attitude"... I was addressing your opinion that Elmhurst wins by far based the criteria you set out, which is highly misleading. Your "positive" suggestion suggests that Oak Park and Wheaton do not provide the above combination of good schools, safety and location (Oak Park has all 3)... And while you are correct on the account of location regarding Wheaton, the 11 minutes the OP would save living in Elmhurst may or may not be worth it depending on the kind of environment she wants for her kid. I hardly see that as a clear determining factor for choosing Elmhurst. Nothing against Elmhurst, but the way you wrote you post, intentionally or not, is misleading in regards to the other 2 communities.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default 11 minutes by helicopter...

There is no way that during any normal traffic conditions that anyone can get to Elmhurst from Oak Park in a road going motor vehicle in 11 minutes.

Time penalty would likely be double or triple...

Quote:
I'm not giving you "attitude"... I was addressing your opinion that Elmhurst wins by far based the criteria you set out, which is highly misleading. Your "positive" suggestion suggests that Oak Park and Wheaton do not provide the above combination of good schools, safety and location (Oak Park has all 3)... And while you are correct on the account of location regarding Wheaton, the 11 minutes the OP would save living in Elmhurst may or may not be worth it depending on the kind of environment she wants for her kid. I hardly see that as a clear determining factor for choosing Elmhurst. Nothing against Elmhurst, but the way you wrote you post, intentionally or not, is misleading in regards to the other 2 communities.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There is no way that during any normal traffic conditions that anyone can get to Elmhurst from Oak Park in a road going motor vehicle in 11 minutes.

Time penalty would likely be double or triple...
No one's talking about driving between Elmhurst and Oak Park.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:10 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
No one's talking about driving between Elmhurst and Oak Park.
I think what Chet was trying to do was point out that the time savings is likely to be much more than 11 minutes from Elmhurst vs. from Oak Park.

Personally, I think the OP could be happy in any of the suburbs mentioned. If it were me, I would lean toward Elmhurst and Wheaton over Oak Park, but that is because I prefer a more suburban atmosphere (where as Oak Park has the more urban-suburban thing going on).

Old 09-06-2012, 01:27 PM

214 posts, read 545,914 times
Elgin to Oak Park commute in traffic would be like two hours. It would be horrible.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:53 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Elgin to Oak Park commute in traffic would be like two hours. It would be horrible.
Someone used a estimate from some screwy "computerized route planner" like google maps that suggested it would only be 50 minutes from Oak Park vs 39 from Elmhurst. I pointed out that this would imply you could say to Oak Park to Elmhurst portion of the trip is about 11 minutes. Utter nonsense.

In all likelihood it would push two hours in normal traffic from Elgin to Oak Park. The trip from Elgin to Elmhurst would likely be about half of that. You would not be dealing with the "strangler" portion of the Eisenhower and you'd be on the road for less time so you would not have the effect of more and more opportunity for slow downs from either shear traffic volume or the nearly inevitable slowdowns caused by fender benders, police activity, gawkers etc...

The data from the "CNN/Money Magazine Best Places to Live 2012" Best places to live 2012 - Comparison tool – Money Magazine shows Wheaton residents have a nice average commute of about 22 minutes. Being close to 355 can help quite a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs