Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 05:28 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Dolton, huh? Random. Was that part of your comment for me?
Please tell me you don't live there? I said it because Dolton reminds me of Cicero and Berwyn. I am sorry. I did not know they have internet in Dolton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times
Quote:
Dolton, huh? Random. Was that part of your comment for me?
Also, what do they call residents of Dolton? Dolts?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Also, what do they call residents of Dolton? Dolts?
You know that Dolton is pronounced D..ALL-tin, right? "Dolt" only makes sense as far spelling is concerned. "Dolton" rhymes with All Tin.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Please tell me you don't live there? I said it because Dolton reminds me of Cicero and Berwyn. I am sorry. I did not know they have internet in Dolton.
Well, for most of my life, I was in Dolton on Xmas Eve. But no, I don't live in Dolton.

Sorry, I just thought you did your homework and were trying to provoke me. Mentioning Dolton seems completely random to me. I have no idea why you're comparing Berwyn and Cicero to Dolton. Maybe these are the only three lower middle class to poor suburbs you've ever visited. I can see why one might compare Bewyn to Chicago Heights or Cal City, perhaps. But the Dolton comparison makes no sense to me. Mind explaining?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Dolton has more in common with Maywood than Berwyn or Cicero. Referencing south suburban Dolton seems completely random to me and makes no sense..

Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Well, for most of my life, I was in Dolton on Xmas Eve. But no, I don't live in Dolton.

Sorry, I just thought you did your homework and were trying to provoke me. Mentioning Dolton seems completely random to me. I have no idea why you're comparing Berwyn and Cicero to Dolton. Maybe these are the only three lower middle class to poor suburbs you've ever visited. I can see why one might compare Bewyn to Chicago Heights or Cal City, perhaps. But the Dolton comparison makes no sense to me. Mind explaining?
My guess is that he's implicitly saying that blacks are moving in and he wouldn't live around blacks, or other minorities. Dolton is a majority African-American community (about 91% actually). To each his own. Anyway, as someone familar with the south suburbs as well as Berwyn (I'm probably the only one in this thread that actually lives here), there is no comparison between Berwyn and Calumet City, or Chicago Heights. Calumet City and Chicago Heights have lower income levels by about 7-10k on the median, among other differences.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:22 PM

Berwyn is a VERY different town than anything down here..

Although I will say that Cal City has a bustling shopping mall and Chicago Heights has the area's communit college, hospital, movie theate and DMV. Chicago Heifhts is also higher in population than any nearby towns. Berwyn doesn't have the signicance in the near west burbs that Cal City and Chi Heights has in thier areas.

In this sense, Dolton is actually more comparible to Berwyn.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Berwyn is a VERY different town than anything down here..

Although I will say that Cal City has a bustling shopping mall and Chicago Heights has the area's communit college, hospital, movie theate and DMV. Chicago Heifhts is also higher in population than any nearby towns. Berwyn doesn't have the signicance in the near west burbs that Cal City and Chi Heights has in thier areas.

In this sense, Dolton is actually more comparible to Berwyn.
Berwyn has a population of almost 57,000. Comparatively, Calumet City has 37,000, Chicago Heights has 30,000 and Dolton 23,000. It also has two major employers -- Turano Bakery and MacNeal Hospital. So I'm not sure what you mean by this. A declining Berwyn would have quite a bit of significance on neighboring communities like Oak Park, Riverside, North Riverside, et al. And of course the opposite is true as it revitalizes. The Roosevelt Road corridor, for example, has benefited both from improvements in far north Berwyn and south Oak Park.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM

49 posts, read 98,165 times
Quote:
I have another question for the OP.

He or she also mentioned Mount Greenwood. Apparently hatred is entrenched in this neighborhood. This suggests the past, present and future. Maybe there is a small but significant segment of the population that truly HATES black people, especially older generations. I won't dispute that BUT...

...Would you honestly recommend Mount Greenwood to a white person who hates black people? You know, if this white person were relocating? What kind of white racist wants to move to a neighborhood that's inches away from West Pullman? What kind of white racist would want to move ANYWHERE on the south side of Chicago?

If no, what does this say about the future (and present, really..) of this neighborhood?
Isn't Mt Greenwood bordered by Beverly and Evergreen Park though? When the color line is there, it's understood that it doesn't get crossed. Perhaps that is comforting to them? For years Bridgeport was directly abutting poor black neighborhoods, but that didn't stop the racists from holding their ground. In the future it certainly could and will change, I didn't mean to apply that it would never change. Bridgeport has changed; it's mostly Asians and Latinos over there now. Mt. Greenwood however, is just not at that point where I personally would care to live there and be one of the black "testers" for that area. I think Mt Greenwood is kinda like the last bastion of these types of working class whites on the far southside. I predict that entire area of the city will be largely black and Latino once the younger whites in those families move on.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Berwyn has a population of almost 57,000. Comparatively, Calumet City has 37,000, Chicago Heights has 30,000 and Dolton 23,000. It also has two major employers -- Turano Bakery and MacNeal Hospital. So I'm not sure what you mean by this. A declining Berwyn would have quite a bit of significance on neighboring communities like Oak Park, Riverside, North Riverside, et al. And of course the opposite is true as it revitalizes. The Roosevelt Road corridor, for example, has benefited both from improvements in far north Berwyn and south Oak Park.
Many people in Chicagoland have heard of Chicago Heights but have never even heard of ANY of the towns it borders. It's not impossible to find someone who has heard of Oak Park but has never heard of Berwyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs