Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM

58 posts, read 138,626 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are thinking about settling down in a suburb that isn't too far from the city. We are looking to buy a little bungalow and start our family. Can you advise on the suburbs mentioned above?

The most important things to us are friendliness, walkability and natural beauty. Schools will also be important down the line. I love Evanston's beauty, downtown walkability, and El access - however, I know the other towns might be a bit more family-friendly, and also a bit easier on the wallet (we are looking to spend about $350,000-$400,000 for a 3-bedroom home [or 4-bedroom, if we can get it]) with a nice yard.

I will be working from home, and my husband works in the city/near suburbs (travels).

Any advice? I noticed that Park Ridge and Arlington Heights have a median age that is a bit older - are there many young families in those areas? Our other option would be to seek out a home within the city limits - probably a fixer-upper in Ravenswood or Lincoln Square. An added benefit to this would be that, from what I can tell, taxes will be lower within Chicago - but schools might be an issue.

I guess my main question would be what people are like in these towns. We like diversity, love neighborhoods where people sit outside on their front porches and walk to parks, want a street with lots of young families, etc. Big houses are NOT a priority, nor is access to malls. Access to Metra/CTA is definitely important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 AM

282 posts, read 437,987 times
Well, this may be a little out of my realm because I am a renter, but I can chime in based on the fact I live in Arlington Heights. My wife and myself moved here about 1.5 years ago, and love it here. Even though we live in apartments, and are black, we have encountered no problems and/or arrogance among the residents here. So far, everyone is nice, the area is nice, and there is a lot of greenspace. I live on the north side of AH and the metra line is about 8 minutes from my apartment, so it is very easy to get to the city on the weekends or whenever I want to. I thought about buying here but the homes are a little too old and blah to me for $300,000. Seems like the schools are nice here, although I do not have any children, everyone talks very highly of the school district. The downtown area of AH is very nice, and the shopping is cool and accessibility to it is very easy. I see some young couples but the area does seem to be established, but like I said it is very laid back and cool to me.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 AM

128 posts, read 389,840 times
I'm very bias because I grew up in Park Ridge. So I'm going to say Park Ridge. However, there are some areas that are flood plain and there are some that are too close to O'Hare and the noise level is a little high. I recommend you pick something north of downtown Park Ridge, by the country club (Sibley and Prospect Heights). That area is by far the best area of Park Ridge and it's close enough to downtown, where Metra station is. There are PACE buses (CTA doesn't run in the suburbs). Homes are unique. Not some cookie cutter homes. This is a very pricey area. You can walk to downtown. We stroll our kids and walk our dog there every time we visit my parents. Nice tall trees. Kids still sell lemonade in front of their house in this neighborhood. My parents are Asians and although this neighborhood is 99% white, we never have any issue. Neighbors are extremely nice here. Most Park Ridge areas fall under Main South High School, which is an excellent school district. Also, it is easier to get to Chicago from Park Ridge. You will have access to I-90, I-94, and I-294.

I lived in Arlington Heights for 2 years after college. I was in the northern part of Arlington Hts. I'm not too familiar with the southern part. Arlington Heights is big. Depend on what part you pick, you may or may not be able to walk everywhere. Very good school district. Some areas are more affordable than others. Traffic can be bad during rush hour, depend on what part of town. I noticed that the road doesn't get plowed as good or as fast as Park Ridge. Something to consider if you have to commute to work.

Pick Evanston if you want an easy access to the beach. Keep in mind that, Evanston have a very good part (north) and a very bad part (south toward Roger Park). When I visit Evanston, I avoid going south of Dempster. Schools are ok but not as good at Park Ridge or Arlington Heights. There are Metra and CTA trains in Evanston. My mom got her purse snatched on the red line station once. There are some love homes along Sheridon and toward the NWU campus. Walkable to downtown. I think there are more action in Evanston's downtown because it's a campus town.

Last edited by Crede's Crew; 02-19-2013 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
In your price range the key will be what compromises you are willing to accept. The range of homes in a town like Arlington Heghts or Downers Grove is probably widest, the issue in either of those towns is that homes closest to core is going to be affordability -- most of the nicer homes are considerably more than you budget. The thing is there are a handful of homes that a few years ago would have been candidates for "tear downs" still within the parts of towns that are clearly "walkable close" to the amenities and the train station -- this is especially true in Downers Grove as it has three train station on the BNSF for lots of excellent commuting options. Other towns (like Elmhurst on the UP-W line) simply do not have so many options for those that want a walkable distance from core...

Although Evanston also has multiple stops on the UP-N line (and CTA access)the price range that you are in considering is unlikely to have many homes walkably close to any of the stops -- unles they are so close for there to be noise issues. Sort of a funny trade-off...

Park Ridge has similar issues -- the affordable homes are largely not walkably close to the core unless they are right on a busy intersection, again, probably not a trade off some one with kids / planning a family wants to accept...

All the towns I mentioned would rate very high for "traditionally attractive streets & housing choices". They mostly have very good schools -- Park Ridge has the most uniformly high performing but none really raise much concern as "avoid". Unfortunately the same cannot be said for CPS, the difficulty is that many of the neighborhood schools are quite awful and too many of the better of the neighborhood schools in CPS are dramatically "over utilized" which is CPS-speak for "packed to the gills". The CPS guidelines for classroom size also result in far more students per classroom, even in "selective admissions" schools. In short the "bargain" of Chicago property taxes has major trade-offs in schools...

I have to say that even in the most idyllic spots in the most lovely spots in Chicago or any of its many affluent suburbs the days of folks lazily sitting on a front porch and sipping lemonade with passers-by is vanishingly rare. Now there certainly are towns where moms (or dads or both or two of each if you know what I mean) do hang out at the playground / walk dogs / push strollers and I agree that these informal kinds of things are an important way to build community.

I further have noticed that there is a false assumption that towns (or neighborhoods in Chicago) which are mostly pricey and therefore less than economically diverse are somehow "not as good" as places with a wide range of incomes. The data suggests the additional burdens placed upon schools to educate the underprepared in such areas is hard to for anyone seeking value / bang for buck to accept. The reality further shows that areas where folks are mostly secure in their are far more accepting of people from different backgrounds than areas where folks are at risk of falling further behind...

Last edited by chet everett; 02-19-2013 at 09:38 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM

Ok, I checked my parents' neighborhood price range. Never mind what I said, most homes there are in the 7 digits price range. But it is an extremely nice neighborhood. My mom did mentioned that further away from the country club homes are more affordable. Homes in that area will be much smaller and closer to one another, mostly bungalow. And forget about a backyard. Mostly none. This is part that is more toward the Chicago (Edison Park) border. This is very nice part of Chicago. I did live in Edison Park for couple of years. So don't worry about being so close to Chicago. The residents there are mostly cops, teachers, and fire fighters. These are folk that want a more suburban lives but have to stay within the Chicago border in order to keep their jobs.

Last edited by Crede's Crew; 02-19-2013 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,009 times
Did you rule out Oak Park or La Grange? My friends just bought a lovely home (three bedrooms) with a fantastic yard in La Grange for $300. It is driving distance to the train. The 'hood is packed with young children.

As to Oak Park, check out the areas served by Longfellow, Whittier, Beye, Hatch and Lincoln.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 AM

It sounds like the OP wants to stay in the north or northwest suburbs. I don't consider Oak Park northwest suburbs. Also, depend on where they work, Oak Park commute can be really bad.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede's Crew View Post
It sounds like the OP wants to stay in the north or northwest suburbs. I don't consider Oak Park northwest suburbs. Also, depend on where they work, Oak Park commute can be really bad.
Is Evanston a NW suburb?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 AM

282 posts, read 437,987 times
Kindra...please re-read Crede's post again. He did say north OR northwest suburbs!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Yes the OP did list N/NW suburbs but if they are counting on CTA or Metra the fact is that service to Loop from other towns as far west as Downers Grove or even Naperville on BNSF is going to give any trip in from Arlington Heights or Evanston a run for the money... Though the Lagrange and neighboring areas like Western Springs are everybit as lovely as towns like Park Ridge the same issues with walkability / price exist -- homes in the $300k-$400k range are probably NOT going to have the same feel as those at double (triple / quadruple ) the price...

The thing is that some towns have an even "steeper" price gradient -- Naperville in particularly means a CRAZY price premium for stuff walkably close to essentially the single "in town" Metra stop. Things are nearly as bad in Oak Park, though with potential access to multiple El lines as well as Metra and direct connection to CTA it is perhaps the best served surburb as far a traditional commuting options... There are those that paint a picture of Oak Park that is as unreliable as those that foolishly dismiss any address not ordained with a 606xx zip as unworthy of consideration / unbelievably promote areas on the fringes of Chicago merely becuase there inside the city's borders, in my experience there are signifcant differences not just in distance from commuter facilities but the basics of what is walkable / desirable even in the relatively compact confines of Oak Park. This makes it somewhat diffcult for those looking for a home as the "happy happy all is wonderful" upbeat promoters are definately at odds with the statiscal data for home price trends -- many homes that do change hands in Oak Park are saddled with enormously high property taxes and relatively modest valuations, a situation that ought to be troubling to anyone with any concerns about long term affordability...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs