Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:32 PM

16 posts, read 62,545 times

Advertisements

Considering taking a job in Arlington Heights (near Palatine and Arlington Heights Road) and living in North Evanston at an apt (near Central Street and just west of Green Bay Road).

I've mapped the route out and drove a few times. It's about 16 miles each way and takes about 30 -35 minutes during non rush hour.

Just wanted to get an opinion from others about this route during rush hour times. I'm assuming it would be maybe another 10 to 15 minutes (so around 45 minutes each way). Does this seem right?

Also, any other areas people would recommend as places to possibly live closer to Arlington Heights? I'm single and in my early 30's, so that is why I was thinking about Evanston. I like the North side of E-town because it seems somewhat more quiet and less congested, is closer to my possible work location, but is very close to awesome transportation (pace bus, metra, and el near the hospital are all very close to the apt I was looking at) for getting into the heart of evanston and of course chicago. Of course, 16 miles each way is a bit farther than I would like to drive, so any suggestions for living closer to AH are appreciated.

And if I'm way off in my estimates of travel or you think it's way too far to commute from Evanston to AH, let me know!

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 06:01 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default How "non-rush" hour ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckner Fan View Post
Considering taking a job in Arlington Heights (near Palatine and Arlington Heights Road) and living in North Evanston at an apt (near Central Street and just west of Green Bay Road).

I've mapped the route out and drove a few times. It's about 16 miles each way and takes about 30 -35 minutes during non rush hour.

Just wanted to get an opinion from others about this route during rush hour times. I'm assuming it would be maybe another 10 to 15 minutes (so around 45 minutes each way). Does this seem right?

Also, any other areas people would recommend as places to possibly live closer to Arlington Heights? I'm single and in my early 30's, so that is why I was thinking about Evanston. I like the North side of E-town because it seems somewhat more quiet and less congested, is closer to my possible work location, but is very close to awesome transportation (pace bus, metra, and el near the hospital are all very close to the apt I was looking at) for getting into the heart of evanston and of course chicago. Of course, 16 miles each way is a bit farther than I would like to drive, so any suggestions for living closer to AH are appreciated.

And if I'm way off in my estimates of travel or you think it's way too far to commute from Evanston to AH, let me know!

thanks
When I check the route on goggle maps it comes to about 34 minutes, and I routinely DOUBLE the travel times that I get from that source -- from: Palatine and Arlington Heights Road arlington heights IL to: Green Bay Rd & Central St, Evanston, Cook, Illinois 60201, United States - Google Maps

As to what is "too far" that is solely for you to decide, and really depends on what you are looking for in a place to live. Generally if "quiet and less congested" are important to folks Evanston is NOT high on their list. Now if you wanted "diverse" or "city like" or "more politically left leaning" than it would be perfect...

Arlington Heights itself has a core that is somewhat urban in its regular grid, but without more details about what you are looking for don't know if it would offer anything other than that and good commute..

Old 07-18-2008, 02:07 PM

7 posts, read 77,578 times
It's 45 - 50 minutes typically during rush hour. It would be a very very bad day indeed to exceed 1 hour. With no traffic, say Sunday morning, 30 - 35 minutes.

Believe me, I know.

If it snows, all bets are off of course.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:27 PM

19 posts, read 24,879 times
Not a fun commute going to work, but far worse for you heading home. Best route would be NW HWY to Dempster to what ever part of Evanston you will be living. Stay away from Euclid/Lake or Willow/Palatine rds. Those are slow slow slow moving.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Not a fun commute going to work, but far worse for you heading home. Best route would be NW HWY to Dempster to what ever part of Evanston you will be living. Stay away from Euclid/Lake or Willow/Palatine rds. Those are slow slow slow moving.
Isn't Willow/Palatine in the morning opposite of the heavy eastbound traffic? I know in the PM it's heavy both ways. If OP is central and Green Bay Dempster is too far south and is heavy east-bound. Afternoon I would do Palatine east to Saunders, Saunders south to Euclid and take that east. Maybe take Skokie Blvd south to Glenview rd and take to Crawford. Take that to Central Or take Glenview to Central. NW highway gets bogged down at Arlington Heights Rd and Rte 83 due to the Metra trains. Just my $.002 I would say 45 minutes. 60 on really bad day, or snowstorm.

What about checking out some apartments in A.H. It's downtown isn't as urban/lively as Evanston, but still pretty good for a suburb and has restaurants, pubs movie and live theater. You might even be able to afford a townhouse or condo more easily than in Evanston. You also are not too far from Busse Woods for running/cycling or the 2 mile path around Lake Arlington.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:28 AM

19 posts, read 24,879 times
afford Arlington Heights? Townhomes go for $750,000 just so you know

Old 07-20-2008, 02:00 PM

Thanks for all the helpful information. Specifically, the apartment would be right off of Central Street in Evanston. So my commute to work would probably be a parallel side street of Central heading west such as Harrison or Lincoln (this is where my car would be parked); take that a ways until I can get over to Central where it may be less congested; continue taking Central West to Crawford; Crawford turns into Hunter to Lake; then Lake/Euclid all the way out to AH (turing right on Arlington Heights Road). I know someone said to avoid Lake/Euclid, but I'm not sure of a better east west road (I need to take one of them). I won't need to get near Dempster Street as this is too far south.

I'm also considering renting an apartment out near Lake and Waukegan. Much closer to work and a little less expensive. But I like the idea of Evanston for at least a year. If it's too much of an expense or incovenience, I could always move after a year. This is the beauty of renting!!

Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM

Billy Buck, the route you described; how long is it taking you? Sounds like a good route.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM

I haven't yet done it in the morning, which would be a true test; however, in the middle of the day it took about 30 to 35 minutes. I wonder about that RR crossing on Lake/Euclid--that could be a challenge.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 AM

Add about 10-15 minutes during rush hour to your non-rush travel time.
Quote:
I wonder about that RR crossing on Lake/Euclid--that could be a challenge.
The crossing by Wolf Rd? Not too bad. Some freight trains, mainly Metra trains. The Prospect Heights station is far enough north of the crossing so trains do not block the crossing.
Quote:
Hunter to Lake
Try Crawford to Glenview Rd, west on Glenview to Harms or Wagner, right on Harms or Wagner to Lake St.
DO NOT take Glenview west into downtown Glenview, it's a quagmire.
Quote:
then Lake/Euclid all the way out to AH (turing right on Arlington Heights Road)
Try taking Rand Rd (Rte 12) to cut off the angle. Can take it to Palatine or if you are just south of Palatine to Thomas (by Target store)

If your looking at Apartments in Glenview, why not something closer to work?
There are a couple decent complexes near Lake Arlington AHPD - Lake Arlington (http://www.ahpd.org/Parks&Facilities/LakeArl/LakeArlington.html - broken link)
2 mile path around the 50 acre lake. Good place to walk, jog, blade or bike. VIP and Mallard Lake? apartment complexes on Hintz Rd. just east of Windsor are within a mile of the lake. Wheeling address, but perfectly safe area bordered by Arlington Heights and Prospect Heights. You might also find something in a smaller building near work. There was a recent vacancy posted in a medium sized building on the corner of Thomas (1/2 mile S. of Palatine) and AH Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs