Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 12:56 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,061,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic87 View Post
I thought about moving to Munster and did some research online on the housing inventory but I drove into Munster on my way back from Michigan last month and I was surprised how run down the areas west of Munster were. Once we got into Munster it was fine but it doesn't really compare to most Suburbs in Chicago.

To be fair I didn't spend much time in Munster and only went into a Chipotle near some shopping plaza and drove through some streets that were nice with tree lined streets and English tudor homes but then other streets lacked that charm and looked ok.. Maybe the newer communities are better with cookie cutter McMansions and maybe that's where the value is (i.e. People looking for newer suburbs with good schools and lower taxes.) But I prefer older looking neighborhoods with different looking homes and tree lined streets and the are in Munster that offered this is near areas that aren't the greatest.
You realize everything west of Munster is in Illinois right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The main issue with NWI is that the commute to Chicago is atrocious. With most of the IL suburbs, you have close access to the Metra, which is not convenient to most of the better NWI suburbs. Who wants to have to drive 35 miles to Chicago every day? For many, access to good public transport or a better commute is worth giving up some money in housing because you are gaining time and probably money you do not have to spend parking downtown and on gas/tolls. Sure you have to pay for the metra, but it is cheaper than driving.
The other solution is to live within walking distance of the NICTD

Which...good luck with that one.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:19 PM

121 posts, read 175,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
You realize everything west of Munster is in Illinois right?
I realize that now that you have made me aware of my typo.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:45 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,201,983 times
Quote:
Naperville is technically a West suburb.
Any municipality in Dupage County is all is viewed west for one reason or another. However, Naperville has so much sprawl that it runs as far south as 111th St and into Will County, so it kind of is Southwest as well.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Any municipality in Dupage County is all is viewed west for one reason or another. However, Naperville has so much sprawl that it runs as far south as 111th St and into Will County, so it kind of is Southwest as well.
It is directly west of the city so it considered a West suburb.

Orland Park for example is both south AND west of *any* geographical location in Chicago so it considered Southwest.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:00 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,393,092 times
Quote:
It is directly west of the city so it considered a West suburb.

Orland Park for example is both south AND west of *any* geographical location in Chicago so it considered Southwest.
so, geographically NWI should be labeled as SE suburbs but nobody ever uses that term

Old 09-18-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
so, geographically NWI should be labeled as SE suburbs but nobody ever uses that term
It technically is just considered "the region" or Northwest Indiana. West, South, and North Chicagoland are reserved for Illinois.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 PM

367 posts, read 1,206,336 times
Chicagoland's view of NW Indiana. The Region's not so bad, but it takes some abuse for sure.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
Chicagoland's view of NW Indiana. The Region's not so bad, but it takes some abuse for sure.

Well to be fair the guy with the banjo just LOOKS like he is from somewhere in Western Indiana. Probably around Terre Haute. Doesn't look like a region rat though.

And is this really a stereotypical region person you are describing or stereotypical Indiana? Then again many Chicagoans can't tell the difference.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:33 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,393,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post

Those pictures are total crap and misinformation and goes against what we have been talking about in this thread. If you were to say that, then the same would hold true for parts of IL and other midwestern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs