Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 15,021 times

Advertisements

We're currently in the process of looking for a house. We're torn between Orland Park and Homer Glen. Which suburb do you think has a better high school (Sanburg vs. Lockport Township)? I know they recently voted no on building a new high school to alleviate overcrowding so that worries me. We are familiar with Orland but would love some info on Homer Glen. A few questions that we currently have are: Are water bills extremely high? Are the schools over crowded? Do the taxes seem to be increasing every year? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by janeyjones06; 02-18-2013 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
You would be hard pressed to find any area in Illinois where property taxes do not increase every year, the key is choosing an area with enough commercial development to moderate the size of those increases on home owners. Orland Park wins over Homer Flen by that measure. The relative performance of Sandburg is better than Lockport, though neither are really in the upper tier of performance...

Homer Glen has larger homes that are newer in more spread-out settings. Orland Park has pretty solid homes (building codes require lots of brick and traditionally labor intensive things like copper pipes and conduit for all electrical lines).

Depending on where you work I would worry about congestion issues...

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM

282 posts, read 438,390 times
Congestion will be a huge issue in Orland Park starting next year when US 45 is widened. Traffic is already pretty tight through there and it will only become worse for the next couple of years.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 PM

91 posts, read 152,222 times
I would never want to live in Orland Park, it seems to lack any charm. Don't know a lot about Homer Glen. Where do you have to commute to? There are other suburbs down there with good schools, good house prices, Frankfort, Mokena, etc.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 10,282 times
Before you decide, check out what water rates are for Homer Glen. Everyone that I know that lives there complains about how high their monthly water bills are.
Lockport High School is very overcrowded and they have tried several times to pass a referendum allowing for a new one to be built but the voters reject it every time.
If you are concerned about the schools - make an appointment and go and visit both.
Orland does have a lot more business and retail that has it's positive and negative sides. Yes, traffic can be heavy on weekends, but those of us who live here know the back roads to take to avoid all of that. The retail and businesses in the area are what helps to keep our property taxes down.
Orland also has a lot more to offer - public swimming pool, skate boarding park, larger library, etc. that many who live in Homer Glen use and have to pay the higher non resident rate to use.
Homer Glen does not have a lot of shopping to offer. There is a Dominicks, Home Depot and Menards on 143rd and Bell but that's about it. If you live there you will be traveling into Lockport or Orland Park for your other shopping needs.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 AM

179 posts, read 486,431 times
Completely different feel to the two areas you are mentioning. Orland Park has much more in the way of commerce and business to offer, if that is important to you. Homer Glen is much more rural in feel and less congested. High Schools in each area are both good. But as pointed out, Lockport has voted down a referendum for a new/expanded high school many times. Water rates/issues have haunted Homer Glen, as have taxes. I would say that lifestyle will be the biggest issue in your choice. What do you prefer?? Only you can decide. I recommend driving the areas you mention ... multiple times at differing times of the day to get a feel for housing, traffic, etc. I live in Lockport, but have been a resident in the general area my entire life. If you've got questions, please feel free to shout out. Depending on WHY you are now narrowing down your search to these two areas, I might be able to suggest some alternatives. Best of luck, no matter your decision ... and Welcome to the Area!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 PM

74 posts, read 167,717 times
Orland Park has much more in the way of shopping and restaurants. It also has a great park district.

Taxes are about the same in both towns. As far as taxes going up - not true. Mine in Homer Glen have stayed the same for the past 4 years.

Homer Glen has a much more wooded, country feel to it and I absolutely love it. There are huge nature preserves, a mixed use equestrian/walking trail and several dog parks. The community motto is "Community and Nature in Harmony" and it absolutely holds true.

The only issue is the water bills, but there is a consortium of towns that have banded together to buy the Illiinois American pipeline and control the water supply on a not-for-profit basis.

Lockport HS is filled to capacity, but enrollment has actually gone down. It is close enough to Oak Brook for shopping and very close to Orland without having to deal with the congestion of LaGrange Rd.

Homer Glen, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs