Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2007, 07:22 AM

13 posts, read 42,798 times

Advertisements

General question i know. My wife and i are moving to the area and considering AH. What is the downtown like in terms of nightlife. I know there is a irish bar but are there any other drinking/bar places. We are not looking for disco`s etc just a few places such as sporst bars with live bands. Also want to know about access to Chicago, is there a direct rail line?? Also would like to know about fitness clubs, of particular interest weights and muay thai kick boxing..many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 08:27 AM

356 posts, read 542,718 times
There's nothing like city clubs vs 'burbs in terms of nightlife-- that being said every town in Northern Illinois has an Irish pub-- (hey steve-O why not start a new post--favorite pubs) and a sports bar--

for thai kb check out http://www.chicagomartialartsclasses.com/ or

check www.metra.com for closest commuter service and schedules.

http://storefront.dexonline.com/champion-jiu-jitsu-academy (broken link)

Old 12-22-2007, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 24,058 times
There is a great old sports bar right across the street from Peggy's called Harry's.

There are now several Thai restaurants.

As for a gym...most people go to Lifetime Fitness in Schaumburg.

I used to live in AH and LOVED it. Wonderful people, wonderful park district, great schools!!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:13 AM

13 posts, read 42,798 times
Jennifer/WC John many thanks for your advice..AH it is then. My wife and i arrive from Germany ( i`m English my wife is Polish) in March so we will rent a place for 3/6 months and set about the house purchase process. Fortunately my company assign me a relocation agent so it should be relatively painless. We have a approx $550K budget for a home and from checking on Ziprealty it looks as if we can get a lot of house for that..keep in mind i`m used to UK housing prices and, having lived in San Jose Ca for 3 years, silicon valley pricing!!! I must say this is my second post on this forum and would like to say what helpful bunch you are..i hope this is a taste of things to come. WCJ i like your idea of favourite irish pub thread..i`ll let you know in 6 months!!
Cheers everyone have a great xmas

Old 12-24-2007, 09:22 AM

220 posts, read 744,729 times
Glad to hear you've chosen Arlington Heights. I work for the village and can honestly say that you are getting one of the nicest munis in the Northwest suburbs. It's economy is quite varied, there is lots of shopping, and the downtown is a great walkable area with lots of entertianment, shopping and restaurants. Plus the schools are great and the housing stock is quality and a great value.

Hope to see you around.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:26 AM

162 posts, read 803,701 times
Arlington Heights is a great area - my only issue with it is it is population density. I live in the city (South Loop) and was out there for a couple Christmas Parties - it is more crowded than downtown Chicago.

Really nice area, but if you want to live in the burbs to get away from the traffic, lack of parking, etc - Arlington Heights is not the place to live.

That being said - if you want a ton to do and have a ton of entertainment, it is one of the best places outside of Oak Brook/Downers Grove, Naperville and Orland Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs