Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times

Advertisements

The best two reasons for moving to Ottawa (pop. 18,758) is a job and a lower cost of living. This Midwest is slower paced with less traffic and more personal space. You are not so far from Chicago that you can't drive or hop the train at Princeton, that terminates at historic Union Station, every day.

Ottawa shares its eastern border with Peru (pop 10, 297). The third city in this North Central Illinois Valley triangle is Streator (pop. 13,710).The population in this valley area is predominately white at 91-93 percent per community. The other races are Hispanic, Asian, Black and Native American persons. There is ian ncome dollar difference between communities, too.

The median household income in Peru is $51,694. whereas in Ottawa it is $47,480, but in Streator the median household income is $40,634. The data presented here is based on US Census Bureau estimates.

Illinois is an AG state. Its 76,000 farms cover more than 28 million acres or nearly 80% of its land. Illinois is a leading producer of soybeans, corn and swine, and also specialty grains such as buckwheat. Illinois exports $9B in products annually. It is the second largest exporter in the country. Grains sold to other countries count for nearly half of the grains produced. Nationally Illinois is ranked third in total prime farmland acreage.

Illinois' #1 manufacturing industry is the processing of raw foods that are hauled over 38,000 miles of federal, state, and county roads. Food production is mainly in rural Illinois whereas food processing is mainly found in urban areas.

believe me when I say LaSalle County is farm country. One thing about rural Illinois is you will find some awesome food at a bar and grill in some dinky town. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 01:13 PM

118 posts, read 194,359 times
There's a good outdoor shooting range there, but that probably doesn't rank too high above the strip club as far as broad appeal to East Coast transplants goes. I would use the range more than the once every couple of years that I do, but it takes FOREVER to get out there from the city.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:28 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
There's a good outdoor shooting range there, but that probably doesn't rank too high above the strip club as far as broad appeal to East Coast transplants goes. I would use the range more than the once every couple of years that I do, but it takes FOREVER to get out there from the city.
I have wanted to check out that range for a while, I think they have season passes so if you lived near there would probably get a lot of use out of it. I'm the same way I'm a good hour drive from there so havn't found the time to make it out that way yet

Old 11-18-2015, 03:40 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
My husband might have a job opportunity in Ottawa, IL. Right now, we're in our 30s, enjoy the cultural offerings of the Annapolis, DC, Bmore area, proximity to the ocean, proximity to friends/family, major airports, good food, etc. etc. Would we be in culture shock to move to Ottawa from where we live now (Annapolis)? Like, culture shock in a bad way? I looked at a youtube video about Ottawa and they're boasting about murals painted on the sides of some buildings and a Boy Scout Museum. I'm afraid. It's a good job but we'd be sacrificing a LOT of comfort and culture to just work. Advice? comments? We do like the outdoors but we also like to have some concerts to look forward to and some good restaurants. Also, is it true there is radiation in Ottawa from an old factory? Is the cancer rate high?

Need real advice!
I know others have said this, but I will join in; Ottawa is a small town in rural American more than anything else. There is no night-life, clubs, and urban-like culture. It is a well over an hour drive 1-way to the city of Chicago and is very isolated even from the suburbs. You are looking way too far away if you are looking for culture and an urban-feel. If you desire the idea of living in open fields, look in the areas of Aurora, Joliet, and Elgin, as they all border farmlands. If you are looking for liberal, progressive values found in large urban areas, you're looking in the wrong place. Examine the outer suburbs of Chicago. Ottawa is nowhere near any suburbs of Chicago.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:23 PM

720 posts, read 1,085,194 times
Might be able to get away with Oswego or DeKalb if you work in Ottawa? DeKalb would put you in a college-ish town and Oswego puts you near Aurora/Naperville, and closer to Chicago. Google Maps estimates a 45 minute drive from Oswego to Ottawa, but I'm not sure how well taken care of 71 is in the wintertime.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:06 PM

298 posts, read 579,872 times
Annapolis is beautiful, hilly, has historic architecture, the ocean, close to DC, Baltimore, it's just beautiful. Unless Ottawa is paying you big bucks, it would be a severe downgrade in terms of lifestyle for you.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:58 AM

914 posts, read 1,138,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
If there's any positives about Ottawa its a cool strip club and starved rock. You got anything else to mention?
LMAO, Starved Rock and a strip club????

I was at Starved Rock recently, it's great for outdoor enthusiasts, hikers, but I can't comment on the strip club.

To the OP, Chicago is the greatest city in the world, so perhaps you can go there on weekends, do errands, enjoy the atmosphere. At least you're not in the center of Nebraska.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:56 AM

97 posts, read 144,247 times
Props to Doodlemagic for finding something positive to mention about Ottawa! But the OP posted this last Nov so my sense is that she has long since abandoned this idea and is living happily ever after in Annapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs