Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:14 PM

15 posts, read 14,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Ranchview is on the west side of town, and south of a line running through downtown; when I was married my stepdaughter went there (that was back in the late 1980s). The closest train station to that part of town is the Lisle station.

Owen is south of 75th, and the downtown station is your best bet.

As I said, for Brookdale, the Route 59 station is the best bet.

There are Pace buses that run to and from the train stations, but if you live near Owen or Ranchview plan on adding another 20-30 minutes (at least) to your commute due to driving to/from the station or riding Pace. Just my opinion. You can find the Pace routes here:

Pace Suburban Bus Service
Thanks. This information is really helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
In what ways is Naperville "better for kids" than Wheaton or Arlington Heights?

Wheaton's top elementary schools are on par with Naperville's schools -- Arlington Heights' schools aren't far behind -- and I would argue that Wheaton offers a number of amenities that make it more appealing for families with children, including a scale that is much more conducive to making friends/establishing a network when you're new.

Neither I had been to Naperville nor Wheaton nor Arlington Heights. I found Naperville in "Best place to live with Family" list couple of times. That's why I thought it will be safest to pick a place which appears in different list. I am open to opinion about any of these places or any other place.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkchat View Post
Neither I had been to Naperville nor Wheaton nor Arlington Heights. I found Naperville in "Best place to live with Family" list couple of times. That's why I thought it will be safest to pick a place which appears in different list. I am open to opinion about any of these places or any other place.
Don't let others do the research and ranking for you. But if you like "best of" lists:

Chicago's Best Suburbs | Chicago Mag: no Naperville
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Safest Cities in Illinois | SafeWise: no Naperville

There are more, but I think you get my point. Chicagoland has many desirable towns, and there are many threads on City-Data discussing them. I would encourage you to at least broadly investigate. You never know what you'll find...

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:50 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 09:29 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,671 times
Quote:
I think my work will be either 9 to 5 or 8:30 to 4:30. Is "Naperville metra" near Naperville downtown? I see one train station in google map near Dupage Children Museum. Are you talking about it? Brookdale or Owen seems to be 3 miles from there.
The Naperville metra is the one in downtown Naperville. Luckily, the express trains run around the times you work whether you would leave from the Route 59 station or the Naperville station.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:36 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Exactly!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Don't let others do the research and ranking for you. But if you like "best of" lists:

Chicago's Best Suburbs | Chicago Mag: no Naperville
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Safest Cities in Illinois | SafeWise: no Naperville

There are more, but I think you get my point. Chicagoland has many desirable towns, and there are many threads on City-Data discussing them. I would encourage you to at least broadly investigate. You never know what you'll find...

There are plenty of ways to do your own ranking!

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:50 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 02:23 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,523 times
Quote:
I will be moving to Chicago soon. I will be working in Chicago downtown and planning to stay in Naperville area. My son is in 3rd grade and recently diagnosed with ADHD. I am looking for a good school which provides better support for ADD/ADHD kids. I will be using public transportation (that might be better idea than using car) for commute to Chicago, so nearer to train station might be good or where you have bus service to/from station.

I looked at Brookdale, Owen, RanchView elementary and all them are wonderful but not sure if daily commuting will be a problem.

Some people suggested me to look at Wheaton and Arlington Heights too however looks like Naperville is better for kids though it seems daily commute to will take at least 1 hour each way.

Thanks for your help.
I looked at all three areas, plus others when we house hunted. For us, Naperville worked out better, so we chose it, in district 204. The Pace bus is pretty convenient, I have friends that use it, although I bike to the train. There are many schools inside of neighborhoods, which makes it convenient...you may want to look at that. My commute normally is just under an hour, which includes my bike ride, train ride and walk to work, but distance to the train stations makes a BIG difference.

Trains are pretty reliable, but there can be delays. As mentioned, I would have some type of back up plan in case you are late. For example, a biker got hit by a train about a week ago and the train was delayed 2 hours, that was my worst delay in 6 years. In the winter there seem to be more switching problems that other seasons. I would plan a cushion and an emergency back up plan (a neighbor, maybe?). Most of the time the trains are good, though.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I looked at all three areas, plus others when we house hunted. For us, Naperville worked out better, so we chose it, in district 204. The Pace bus is pretty convenient, I have friends that use it, although I bike to the train. There are many schools inside of neighborhoods, which makes it convenient...you may want to look at that. My commute normally is just under an hour, which includes my bike ride, train ride and walk to work, but distance to the train stations makes a BIG difference.

Trains are pretty reliable, but there can be delays. As mentioned, I would have some type of back up plan in case you are late. For example, a biker got hit by a train about a week ago and the train was delayed 2 hours, that was my worst delay in 6 years. In the winter there seem to be more switching problems that other seasons. I would plan a cushion and an emergency back up plan (a neighbor, maybe?). Most of the time the trains are good, though.
Thanks for your information. Any specific school you me to look at? I talked to Owen/Brookdale school principals and both them gave positive response w.r.t ADHD issue. What i understood is Brookdale is closer Rt. 59 but not sure about Owen. There are some schools where it is difficult to find an apartment for rent too like Meadow Glens.

It is important for me to find a good school where ADHD kids are handled with patience. I don't mind if it is not best school in town as long it is good. I am looking at mainly parents review in greatschools and test scores there.

I am looking at Wheaton school also.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:12 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,523 times
Quote:
Thanks for your information. Any specific school you me to look at? I talked to Owen/Brookdale school principals and both them gave positive response w.r.t ADHD issue. What i understood is Brookdale is closer Rt. 59 but not sure about Owen. There are some schools where it is difficult to find an apartment for rent too like Meadow Glens.

It is important for me to find a good school where ADHD kids are handled with patience. I don't mind if it is not best school in town as long it is good. I am looking at mainly parents review in greatschools and test scores there.

I am looking at Wheaton school also.
I wish I had a better answer regarding ADHD students and specific schools, but it is not something I have ever investigated. I do have a friend that has a daughter that struggles with learning and she is staying in our neighborhood specifically because she is happy with the support given to her child at school, May Watts.

Owen is just south of 75th street, FYI.

I have another friend that has a son at Still, she is happy with that school, but has also been proactive with the school.

The nice thing about Brookdale is that the middle school, Hill, is also in that neighborhood. So, you could have a school in your neighborhood from elementary through middle school.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:37 AM

97 posts, read 144,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
The Naperville metra is the one in downtown Naperville. Luckily, the express trains run around the times you work whether you would leave from the Route 59 station or the Naperville station.
A couple of caveats with Naperville train stations: firstly, as a newcomer the OP will not have a monthly parking pass and will rely on daily parking. If that is the case, getting a daily spot at the 5th Ave station after 7 AM is dicey at best, while her earlier post suggested that would be the time she'd be leaving for work. As such, perhaps Rt 59 is a better choice. That said, when planning your commute out of 59, I'd alot an extra 5 minutes minimum dealing with the parking lot on the way out.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel67 View Post
A couple of caveats with Naperville train stations: firstly, as a newcomer the OP will not have a monthly parking pass and will rely on daily parking. If that is the case, getting a daily spot at the 5th Ave station after 7 AM is dicey at best, while her earlier post suggested that would be the time she'd be leaving for work. As such, perhaps Rt 59 is a better choice. That said, when planning your commute out of 59, I'd alot an extra 5 minutes minimum dealing with the parking lot on the way out.
How the driving would be during winter from ThornBerry Woods apartment to Lisle station? How long it take? Is it easy to get daily parking there? I don't see any bus stop near by and 75th st is not pedestrian friendly.

I saw some other apartments (Grand Reserve, Brookdale Park, Railway Plaza which are closer to Rt. 59 station or has near by bus stop.). My preference was Thornberry Woods because of it's assigned school Ranch View but this apartment seems to be bit far from Metra stations and does not have any bus stop.

This will be my 1st winter outside of California so not sure how bad driving would be upto metra station during winter and how difficult it is to get daily parking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs