Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:13 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,325,978 times

Advertisements

I definitely wouldn't consider Darien ahead of the other towns being tossed around. I don't see any pluses there. Brookfield, La Grange Park, Naperville, Wheaton, Downers Grove, etc are head and shoulders above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 11:13 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
Default Really comes down to "tastes"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I definitely wouldn't consider Darien ahead of the other towns being tossed around. I don't see any pluses there. Brookfield, La Grange Park, Naperville, Wheaton, Downers Grove, etc are head and shoulders above.
There are some folks that truly do prefer an area with twisty cul-de-sac layout and a mix of ranches, split levels and two-story homes from the past few decades over areas with a more grid type layout and homes that range from pre-war Cape Cods and multi-levels to brand new teardowns.

Darien's motto is sometimes mocked online -- Urban Dictionary: Darien, Illinois The relative ranking of Hinsdale South to Central is something of a sore point with some folks, but the most recent Newsweek list bumped it way up, just in time for the new school year -- Newsweek: Hinsdale South Ranks No. 415 Best High School in America | Darien, IL Patch (I've always been turned off by Newsweek's overt emphasis on ordinal rankings and the shifts they make to accomodate the poltical winds are not really an honest telling of the odds of kids being successful after high school, but that is for another thread...).

In general, there are far worse towns that one could choose. Darien mostly has a mix of single family housing and retail that is at least as stable at that in other towns. The big "gap" is lack of access to Metra and that makes for more reliant on driving to work and the increasingly challenging climate for suburban employment is a something that needs to be considered...

Old 09-04-2015, 12:31 PM

21 posts, read 34,181 times
It seems like there are options (not tons, but options) in the Downers Grove/Lisle area and I like the idea of more sq footage, family friendly, and good schools. Would this commute just be downright awful?

Old 09-04-2015, 12:52 PM

Default Not bad really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingUs View Post
It seems like there are options (not tons, but options) in the Downers Grove/Lisle area and I like the idea of more sq footage, family friendly, and good schools. Would this commute just be downright awful?
If hubby has to drive there are worse spots that DG/Lisle. The parts of either town closest to I-88 are really not too bad at all in terms of the fraction of time not spent on highways and in the further south reaches of either town the use of I-55 is an decent alternate.

If there are days when he can take Metra downtown both towns have very very nice express option on BNSF.

The trick is finding the right balance and both towns have an wider than average range of lot sizes and such so you might end up weighing which factors really are going end up tipping the scales.

The schools that serve DG are generally better regarded than those server Lisle BUT there are some portions of Lisle covered by Naperville D203 schools and even the Lisle Unit School District is liked by some folks -- some folks prefer the smaller overall structure which can make it easier for administrators to ensure consistency of instruction for kids of all abilities...

The biggest negative for Lisle tends to be the spotty condition of its downtown. It is not nearly as vibrant as Naperville or Downers Grove, both of which are MUCH bigger towns. Nor is it as upscale as Glen Ellyn. Frankly does not even compare all that well to even smaller towns like Clarendon Hills which, despite its off-beaten-path location, does have some nice dining options and manages to support a great little local ice cream spot, a family run hardware store, and even a regular sized Starbucks that competes with a locally owned coffee spot.

All things considered, if you assign values to what will make the most sense to your family, including commute, you could do MUCH WORSE than towns like DG or Lisle -- the fact that both are centered on the BNSF really seems to be a huge plus for their long term value compared towns that lack rail access. The additional factors, like nicely run libraries , park districts, and convenience to additional recreational sites (Lisle has access to a actual ski / snowboard / tubing facilty at Four Lakes as well as things like ice rinks at Seven Bridges...) are strong pluses.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:13 PM

Thank you so much Chet Everett! That was very helpful. I think DG may be as far as we want to go west because my husband won't be able to take any public transportation and I really would like to see him every once in awhile. Are there any neighborhoods that you (or others) recommend in DG? It seems like we can find 4 bedroom homes but their older and need quite a bit of updating. I'd love a newer home but 4 bedrooms is a non negotiable for us, even if that means an older home.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:47 PM

I personally LOVE older (pre WWII) homes and I know that many did not have four bedrooms so it can be tricky to find an area that has the sort of look I prefer with the size home you may want / need. There are some parts of Downers that were kind of "ahead of their time" as far as some developments BUT balancing cost can be tricky.

There is a nice development of mostly well maintained brick ranches in the north part of DG that I think has great access to I-88 and some nice neighborhood amenities. One very good example is on the market now, while not quite "atomic ranch" it does take a personal kind of taste to appreciate -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gro.../home/14192422 Yes, I know this one is above your current budget but it has an obviously upgraded kitchen and even then my gut says it is overpriced, so keep an eye on it...

This is nearby the first listing and the whole area it is in has a really nice "woodsy" feel while still being VERY convenient to shopping and such -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gro.../home/18030565 Again, above your price, but look at the nutty kitchen set-up: no upper cabinets but a giant oil painting, wait for this to be repriced downward...

Here is a place a bit closer to the Fairview Metra station and on a really nice lot, it has an addition that is maybe not as well thought out as it could have been, but it is priced better (still high, look at time on market...) and you get a TON of space -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gro.../home/18026018

As you go farther south and west in DG your money goes farther, here is a nice updated home that is priced very attractively and has low taxes too -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gro.../home/18055360

This is remarkably well priced with a HUGE potential for updating, but it is short sale and that can be trickier if you want to close quickly, really close to the historic district which is generally a "premium" location but maybe too close to the railroad for some -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gro.../home/18027596

Back in the south end of town here is another very well priced home with lots of space -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gro.../home/18013864 It's a Homepath, which generally means FHA foreclosure, but everything looks close to move in ready. I think a less severe coat of paint would really cheer up the outside...

Honestly, the variations among the different parts of town are all pretty good, no real safety issues anywhere, just gonna come down to what works best for you!

Last edited by chet everett; 09-04-2015 at 05:56 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 05:16 AM

Thank you so much!

Old 09-08-2015, 02:21 PM

I really don't want to give up the 4 bedrooms - but that's mostly because my mother will be visiting us often and I'd like a comfortable place for her to stay (preferably with her own bathroom). It seems the more I look (and stay committed to a budget in the 300's), we may need to search out as far as Naperville/Aurora to find the kind of house we envision for the price we require. I'm not turning my nose at Naperville, just was hoping not to have that long of a drive to the FBI office.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,325,978 times
Wheaton is on par with the nicer parts of Naperville, Downers and Elmhurst, and may yield a few results for you.

Here's a nice one close to the College Avenue Metra station: 1515 Harwarden Street WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

FWIW, Wheaton has two Metra stations that deliver passengers to Ogilvie Transportation Center (Loop) in about 40 minutes. From the Ogilvie platform, your husband can walk just one block north to the CTA Clinton platform, catch the Pink line train headed to the CTA Polk platform, and from the Polk platform walk about 4 blocks to the FBI building on Roosevelt. Google Maps says the extra walking and Pink line travel will take about 20-25 minutes. It's a public transportation alternative that's quite easy, but will take about 60-65 minutes total.

Rush hour drive time to the FBI building would be right around 45 minutes.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:05 PM

4,235 posts, read 3,678,634 times
If your husband cannot take public transportation, for whatever reason, you're going to have to give on something -- commute is awful, even from DG/Lisle/Wheaton. Darien can be a little better because the Stevenson is not as bad as the Ike but it sure can be bad, too. If you could find something acceptable in Oak Park or River Forest, the commute would be good, but you're not going to find 4 BR with decent square footage at that price point. I wouldn't consider Forest Park with kids -- you could pay to send them to OPRF High School, but I understand that's quite expensive to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs