Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,271 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am moving to Chicago from India, with my husband and daughter of 7 years, and looking for information to narrow down on a place to stay in with the following criterion:
- Hubby's office is in downtown. Commute should ideally not be more than 30-40 mins one way overall
- I would be working from home but might have to commute occasionally to the office in Downers Grove - hence the next point
- Good access to other places by walk or Bus as well - eg: Shopping malls, doctors, grocers, etc
- Good Elementary Schools nearby - bus is preferred
- A vibrant community with good Indian population and social gatherings/meets(we're a musically inclined family and love the fact that we're coming to THE place of Jazz

Also, regarding schools, since we would be moving in April(to be better suited for the weather there and for my daughter to complete her academic year in India), do schools take in kids in the month of April-May as well ? Or would i have to wait for the next session beginning August ? 5 months of a wait would be a nightmare for a kid who doesn't know anyone yet

Reading the other posts, i understand that probably the most recommended suburb is Naperville.. are there other suburbs or other options even in Downtown that could be good ? Budget is for a 2B upper limit maybe 1700-1800 USD. A good friendly community where my daughter could make more friends and we could socialize more often is definitely a high priority, apart from walkability to essentials and hopefully not a very long commute by train to office

How is Downers Grove..heard that there are good condos and apartments near the Metra. Do we have a good Indian Community and good schools there as well ? Couldnt find much on that online

What are the best sites where i could meet more people and make more friends

Cheers !
Vinita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 08:54 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Due to climate and other factors, you may want to consider driving in a personal vehicle vs buses / walking. Even in the most walkable parts of the region most people rely a car for shopping and doctor visits.

Downers Grove is a nice community -- easy Metra connections for trips to / from work, well regarded schools, nice parks, lots of shopping options, fairly good sized poplate ulation of folks from India and other countries that makes things like ethnic food accessible as well social connections easy. Price for rentals might be a bit lower in Westmont or Lombard, mostly those towns are considered a step down for school quality... Kids can join school anytime, the easiest transition might actually be around spring break that typically happens late March / early April -- Downers Grove District #58 / Calendar

Old 12-14-2015, 10:54 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Oak Park or Evanston.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 AM

Default In all honesty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Oak Park or Evanston.
There is no evidence that there is any advantage based on the total set of criteria the OP listed...

OPRF has a relatively paltry percentage of students of Asian heritage -- OAK PARK & RIVER FOREST HIGH SCH: School Profile
ETHS is even worse --
EVANSTON TWP HIGH SCHOOL: School Profile

In contrast Downers Grove has a much more signficant population --
COMM H S DIST 99 - SOUTH HIGH SCH: School Profile

Downers Grove has one of the best schedules of Pace buses for access to its top notch commuter rail service too -- Pace Bus - Search Results

Old 12-14-2015, 12:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
They're Diverse though!

Old 12-14-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
They're Diverse though!
The definitions commonly associated with "diversity" in Oak Park and Evanston seem to be more attuned to the politics of the underclass than having a truly wide ranging community...

Old 12-14-2015, 01:37 PM

720 posts, read 1,085,194 times
Schaumburg?

Old 12-14-2015, 01:41 PM

768 posts, read 1,104,658 times
In La Grange our neighbor is Indian + we have the best award winning Indian restaurant ~ Kama Bistro (Kama Bistro |Contemporary Indian Cuisine | La Grange Chicago Illinois) ...

Old 12-15-2015, 10:11 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,085,322 times
I have heard that Oak Park River Forest and Evanston have great fine arts programs. I'm not sure about South tho.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:14 AM

The arts programs at Downers Grove South are excellent -- South High Fine Arts

Although this is from a few years back, DGS has a tradition of extremely talented students, many of whom trace their heritage to immigrant roots -- Four Downers Grove South Students Earn Perfect ACT Scores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs