Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:22 AM

50 posts, read 94,320 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have my second interview for an Aurora job this week.

We want to take it, but the property taxes are SO high in all the surrounding counties!!

Is there anywhere we can live that's a short commute to Aurora with lower property taxes?

I'd make around $61k for a family of 4. This would have gotten us into a nice $250k house with our modest down payment.

However, since property taxes are double to triple what we pay in VA, we don't think we can do it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 07:04 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
First of all homes are more expensive here. The price you quoted above will not get you a nice house, it will get you a condo, townhome or very small home. Its hard to find a house at that price point especially in a desirable area with good schools. it can be done. The taxes in Illinois are very high and there is little way around them.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:46 AM

720 posts, read 1,085,194 times
In that price range, maybe Sugar Grove, Yorkville, Oswego, or North Aurora? Warrenville as a reach.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:11 PM

97 posts, read 144,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
In that price range, maybe Sugar Grove, Yorkville, Oswego, or North Aurora? Warrenville as a reach.
I recently moved from Oswego, and the taxes there are crushing. My home sold for $326k and the tax bill was over 11k. My new home in Naperville (D203) was significantly more expensive and has essentially the same tax bill. Yorkville isn't much better, if any (someone in my office has a sub 200k townhouse and got the new tax bill of $7200).

Old 05-16-2016, 03:58 PM

720 posts, read 1,085,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel67 View Post
I recently moved from Oswego, and the taxes there are crushing. My home sold for $326k and the tax bill was over 11k. My new home in Naperville (D203) was significantly more expensive and has essentially the same tax bill. Yorkville isn't much better, if any (someone in my office has a sub 200k townhouse and got the new tax bill of $7200).
Kind of like ToriaT said though, home prices/taxes that are a short commute from Aurora will be kind of ridiculous (Kane County has notoriously bad taxes, and DuPage fares a little better). I didn't even mention the Tri-Cities because the combo of home price + tax bill would make something there near impossible to find.

Lisle has some townhome stock that could potentially work? Obviously Aurora itself could work, but taxes there aren't even that great and the schools/relative safety don't even make them remotely worth it.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:27 AM

97 posts, read 144,247 times
To the OP, do you know if your salary will be similar to your current salary or is there a chance that it'd be higher to reflect the cost of living? You might ask the potential employer which communities their employees choose to live.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:03 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Lisle isn't a bad suggestion. Shooting distance to Aurora. Whereabouts in Aurora is the job? Aurora is HUGE and the exact spot of the job could make a difference. I've driven for 30 minutes in the same general direction and been in Aurora the whole time.

Taxes in those more rural communities are AWFUL. Tax wise, you are better off moving east. But then the home prices rise also.

I'd probably try to stay right in Aurora, but in DuPage county. Just get a smaller place.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 AM

66 posts, read 117,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenortodd View Post
However, since property taxes are double to triple what we pay in VA, we don't think we can do it...
On the other hand, Virginia's car tax is infinity times more than Illinois' and the roads in Illinois get plowed when it snows.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Maybe Plainfield?

Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Northwest Indiana close to the Borman/Stateline.
St John, Munster and South Hammond would be good choices and your property taxes are capped at 1% of your homes value. A good $10,000 cheaper than Illinois
But then you're in Indiana. And it's not a great commute to Aurora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs