Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:42 AM

435 posts, read 430,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCountyBang View Post
Northwest Indiana probably not, especially with it's rep and it being so close to South Side.

I would suggest Pleasant Prairie, but the schools are not at your level. For a house newer than 2000s for that price range, look at Antioch, Gurnee, Grayslake, maybe Vernon Hills. Clublands or NeuHaven at Antioch might have some options, also only 10 minutes from Costco. For Antioch, the best neighborhoods are east of Deep Lake Road, so Hickory Corners and Loon Lake neighborhoods. They also have some of the better schools in the far north suburbia.

For Gurnee, stay on the side of the interstate with the mall, NOT GREAT AMERICA. Also some nice neighborhoods at Grandwood Park area and near US 45, built by Pulte, same builder that built my subdivision. Very high quality homes, I would say.

Lindenhurst also has it's nice subdivisions, but check the schools.

Grayslake is also nice at it's parts, and check subdivisions over there. Schools I heard were pretty nice.

If you get lucky, consider Vernon Hills. There is a nice neighborhood near US 45 and Rte 21, near the train station and cemetery, with newer homes and ranches. IF you get lucky. VERY good schools too.

Buffalo Grove: same story as VH
I know there are nice areas of Lake County, but I think that you need to be careful if you are looking for low taxes and home appreciation in some of the more affordable areas of Lake County. Specifically, as you get closer to the WI border there is going to be more risk (due to arbitrage). For example, look what has happened to Zion, IL over the last 20 years. Antioch is pretty close to WI border too although farther removed from Waukegan so that is good.

Also, I live in Northwest Indiana and I am guessing that you haven't actually been around many of the towns in NWI like Munster, St. John, Crown Point, Schererville, etc? NWI is much more than just the ruined city of Gary and cornfields. People are choosing to live in NWI vs. IL because of the IL financial situation and IL government ineptitude b/c NWI offers lower COL, good schools, plenty of amenities and relative proximity to downtown Chicago. Now, it is not the right fit for everyone. If you need high-end shopping down the street or you want 20 minute express train service into the city, you need to look elsewhere. But for someone on the OP's budget who can live anywhere, I would think it would certainly be worth consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 03:52 PM

46 posts, read 66,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
I know there are nice areas of Lake County, but I think that you need to be careful if you are looking for low taxes and home appreciation in some of the more affordable areas of Lake County. Specifically, as you get closer to the WI border there is going to be more risk (due to arbitrage). For example, look what has happened to Zion, IL over the last 20 years. Antioch is pretty close to WI border too although farther removed from Waukegan so that is good.

Also, I live in Northwest Indiana and I am guessing that you haven't actually been around many of the towns in NWI like Munster, St. John, Crown Point, Schererville, etc? NWI is much more than just the ruined city of Gary and cornfields. People are choosing to live in NWI vs. IL because of the IL financial situation and IL government ineptitude b/c NWI offers lower COL, good schools, plenty of amenities and relative proximity to downtown Chicago. Now, it is not the right fit for everyone. If you need high-end shopping down the street or you want 20 minute express train service into the city, you need to look elsewhere. But for someone on the OP's budget who can live anywhere, I would think it would certainly be worth consideration.
Very true on bold parts. My subdivision consists of 250k-400k homes, and we all pay taxes that are 8k-11k! Pretty outrageous, but I also checked Strawberry Creek in Kenosha as I moved in, and the taxes there are actually a bit higher(even though it's a bit more expensive subdivision).

Also, in Waukegan area, pretty much all the desirable cities are on the other side of I-94(maybe except Wadsworth). Even Gurnee, on the Great America side, is definitely not the best, and VERY close to Waukegan.

I also see as I drive to work, many people on the interstate have WI license plates, probably half the drivers. A huge increase compared to, maybe 10 years ago? A lot of them exit on Lake Cook Road or Rte 60 near the offices. And, it's only about a 40 minute drive.

On underlined parts: A lot more prefer Wisconsin, IF they can afford it, and I understand why(most parts except some ruined parts of Kenosha). NWI, the parts where people live, is Gary, East Chicago, Hammond, etc. It is near failed cities like Gary, and 90% of the south suburbs.

When you drive through Northern Suburbs and Southern Suburbs, you can tell right away which is which.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:29 AM

Default Misconception...Gary is like a Deflated Balloon

Quote:
Very true on bold parts. My subdivision consists of 250k-400k homes, and we all pay taxes that are 8k-11k! Pretty outrageous, but I also checked Strawberry Creek in Kenosha as I moved in, and the taxes there are actually a bit higher(even though it's a bit more expensive subdivision).

Also, in Waukegan area, pretty much all the desirable cities are on the other side of I-94(maybe except Wadsworth). Even Gurnee, on the Great America side, is definitely not the best, and VERY close to Waukegan.

I also see as I drive to work, many people on the interstate have WI license plates, probably half the drivers. A huge increase compared to, maybe 10 years ago? A lot of them exit on Lake Cook Road or Rte 60 near the offices. And, it's only about a 40 minute drive.

On underlined parts: A lot more prefer Wisconsin, IF they can afford it, and I understand why(most parts except some ruined parts of Kenosha). NWI, the parts where people live, is Gary, East Chicago, Hammond, etc. It is near failed cities like Gary, and 90% of the south suburbs.

When you drive through Northern Suburbs and Southern Suburbs, you can tell right away which is which.
The inference that most people in NWI live in failed cities like Gary is the misconception that I was talking about. Gary is like a deflate balloon and most people in "The Region/NWI" don't live there anymore. In 1970 there was around 180,000 people there and now it is like 77,000. If you add up the population of the nicer and middle class communities of NWI (like Munster, Crown Point, St John, Dyer, Schererville, etc) you are over 200,000. The air was let out of Gary while nicer areas of NWI have grown and people moving from IL to IN have assisted in this trend.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 PM

46 posts, read 66,849 times
Quote:
The inference that most people in NWI live in failed cities like Gary is the misconception that I was talking about. Gary is like a deflate balloon and most people in "The Region/NWI" don't live there anymore. In 1970 there was around 180,000 people there and now it is like 77,000. If you add up the population of the nicer and middle class communities of NWI (like Munster, Crown Point, St John, Dyer, Schererville, etc) you are over 200,000. The air was let out of Gary while nicer areas of NWI have grown and people moving from IL to IN have assisted in this trend.
Still, WI/Border IL has a better surrounding.

NWIN is surrounded by all the, ghettos. Yes, there are nice places... surrounded by East Chicago on West, Gary on East. IL, there is Waukegan and North Chicago, but Gary and the south side are way worse than the LC ghettos.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:00 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
It's really annoying when a poster asks something like "Where in IL should I live" and people push NWI. He asked for Illinois.

OP, I have another suggestion - look at Lisle. It's near I-88 and I-355, and you should be able to find a house with the specs you are seeking, at least close to it. It's not close to a Costco though....

Lisle has a nice park district with Sea Lion Waterpark, nice for kids.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:41 PM

Default Ummh...look at a map?

Quote:
Still, WI/Border IL has a better surrounding.

NWIN is surrounded by all the, ghettos. Yes, there are nice places... surrounded by East Chicago on West, Gary on East. IL, there is Waukegan and North Chicago, but Gary and the south side are way worse than the LC ghettos.
I agree, WI border in Lake County is more aesthetically pleasing than the IL/IN border. There is much more nature. It is not infill (by in large built-out). On the other hand the WI/IL border is also MCUH farther out than the IL/In border. Probably a fair comparison would be Valpo area in NWI. Which is also more aesthetically pleasing than around the border.

Now, I do think you may need to reference a map b/c NWI is much larger than you seem to think. For example, none of the nicer places in NWI are to the east of East Chicago? Nope that is to the north, just like Gary. NWI is not surrounded by all the "ghettos". Pretty much just like Lake County you find them on one side of I-94.

I get it, NWI is not for everyone. If you want to diss NWI then fine but please be accurate at least. Or refrain if you don't have the facts or experience to back it up.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
It's really annoying when a poster asks something like "Where in IL should I live" and people push NWI. He asked for Illinois.

OP, I have another suggestion - look at Lisle. It's near I-88 and I-355, and you should be able to find a house with the specs you are seeking, at least close to it. It's not close to a Costco though....

Lisle has a nice park district with Sea Lion Waterpark, nice for kids.
People new to Chicagoland don't even think of IN or WI as alternative. Chet actually suggested it and frankly I think he has it together. I only got involved b/c someone else did not seemed that informed about NWI.

I agree, given OP budget it may be good idea to also check out Lisle. Maybe have to settle for older housing stock though...

Old 08-04-2016, 01:44 PM

103 posts, read 150,079 times
As an outsider, this is true (for me). I honestly gave no thought before I moved here that Chicago would be so very close to Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:35 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Quote:
People new to Chicagoland don't even think of IN or WI as alternative. Chet actually suggested it and frankly I think he has it together. I only got involved b/c someone else did not seemed that informed about NWI.

I agree, given OP budget it may be good idea to also check out Lisle. Maybe have to settle for older housing stock though...
Right, it would be older stock. Newer stuff is much further out, or, much more expensive than the OP's budget for the size they want.

Newer stock at that price can possibly be found in places like Oswego or Plainfield. But note these places have higher property taxes. Yin/yang.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:11 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Has the OP looked downstate where the real estate prices and prices are much lower?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs