Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 04:52 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51squirrel33 View Post
Berwin is one option. Although Berwin has better and not as good parts. Find out through someone what the better part of Berwin is.
Next:---family member friend has a house for rent in Lake Forest. He had it at the beginning of this year, not familiar (but I can find out), if its still for rent.
Berwyn is too far for the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 09:07 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Libertyville is your best bet. That area is in between the Lake Bluff and West Lake Forest Metra stations so train is not a great option. 41 and the Edens (94) expressway can get really nasty in the evening commute so that 30 min Skokie commute can easily turn into 1 hour plus. Skokie is kind of meh anyways. There is a nice bike trail from the Lake Bluff metra station all the way along 176 to Libertyville so bike/train is an option most of the year. But I'd live in Libertyville and take the train downtown for entertainment. Bad Chicago commutes can really deteriorate your quality of life.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:21 PM

9 posts, read 9,269 times
I appreciate the feedback, but I am more confused than ever. To me it sounds like the two popular options are Evanston and Libertyville. I want to still have a life and if the commute is going to really kill that if I were to live in Evanston, then whats the point. However if I lived in Libertyville I am concerned that there are not many young people out and about doing things. I have not been to either of these places so I am basing this completely off of your opinions. Tough decision.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default A few big factors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1991 View Post
I appreciate the feedback, but I am more confused than ever. To me it sounds like the two popular options are Evanston and Libertyville. I want to still have a life and if the commute is going to really kill that if I were to live in Evanston, then whats the point. However if I lived in Libertyville I am concerned that there are not many young people out and about doing things. I have not been to either of these places so I am basing this completely off of your opinions. Tough decision.
The fact is ANY work location in Lake Forest will be over 20 miles from any rental in Evanston. Even if the roads were COMPLETELY empty this would take over an hour of your day. Reverse commuter rail would take longer. If you have a demanding job that includes any time in the office beyond 8 hrs there is basically zero window to enjoy any of the limited nightlife of Evanston or adjacent parts of Chicago...

IF the LF employer had other folks your age that do live in Evanston or Chicago it MIGHT be worth considering from "car pool" perspective...

That said, most of the employers in Lake Forest are probably about 5 miles from the heart of Libertyville. HUGE reduction in drive time, heck you could ride a bicycle. There absolutely are a decent number of younger people that work in / near Lville and that is largely responsible for it having a decent mix of restaurants / nightspots / gyms to hang out...

If you have any pals in Chicago you have decide if it makes more sense to try to visit after long drive on weeknights to Evanston OR whether do to work importance such things are mostly "weekend events"...

Old 11-18-2016, 11:14 AM

133 posts, read 291,690 times
Live in Evanston. You are 22 and you would be bored silly out in Libertyville. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice suburb, but it is for families. It does have a nice downtown, but still. Move to Evanston or the city and spend more time in the car. It will be worth it unless you don't mind the quiet strip mall suburban life, lol. You have your whole life ahead for that, enjoy the 22 yr. old ride!

Old 11-18-2016, 11:47 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The fact is ANY work location in Lake Forest will be over 20 miles from any rental in Evanston. Even if the roads were COMPLETELY empty this would take over an hour of your day. Reverse commuter rail would take longer. If you have a demanding job that includes any time in the office beyond 8 hrs there is basically zero window to enjoy any of the limited nightlife of Evanston or adjacent parts of Chicago...

IF the LF employer had other folks your age that do live in Evanston or Chicago it MIGHT be worth considering from "car pool" perspective...

That said, most of the employers in Lake Forest are probably about 5 miles from the heart of Libertyville. HUGE reduction in drive time, heck you could ride a bicycle. There absolutely are a decent number of younger people that work in / near Lville and that is largely responsible for it having a decent mix of restaurants / nightspots / gyms to hang out...

If you have any pals in Chicago you have decide if it makes more sense to try to visit after long drive on weeknights to Evanston OR whether do to work importance such things are mostly "weekend events"...
Jeez. Your (old) age is showing, Chet. (Maybe they let you out of the rest home this week? LOL)
You really need to start thinking out of the box.

Scenario A: OP moves to a rental near the lake/downtown Evanston. Commutes during the week. There's very little he still could't do during the week, even adding in a 45-60 minute commute. [Hint- The 22 year old's aren't eating dinner @ 4pm, Chet(!) ] OP could grab a drink somewhere around LF or Libertyville with work friends (etc.). Later on he could head home and explore Evanston since things don't close as early as the suburbs. Weekends are even better for the OP when you can wake up to go for a run by Clark st beach whenever he likes, easy access via EL to downtown/neighborhoods/etc. Chat up the cute girls walking their dogs too. A fun life for a young adult.

Scenario B: OP lives 5 miles from his job in LF, in another suburban area primarily filled with people older than he is with families/kids/etc who do not generally go out during the week. OP is bored silly after about 6 mos. and pissed because he still has 6 mos left on a lease. Finally decides to drive in (or take Metra in) with friends to enjoy what Chicago has in greater abundance for the 22 yr old age group

Old 11-18-2016, 11:56 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Despite the impression that some folks may be offering the fact is Libertyville is decidedly NOT "a strip mall suburb". There are SEVERAL very nice spots to get a "craft beer" or "specialty whisky" as well as locally owned "coffee houses" and many of them also have live music. It really compares pretty well with Evanston in that regard because despite the fact that Northwestern does have their main campus in Evanston there is not really that sort of "adult student / grad school" type feel that you find in true college towns.

NEITHER Libertyville nor Evanston can hold a candle to Chicago neighborhoods like Lakeview or Wicker Park that are "wall to wall" entertainment BUT the commute between Evanston and Lakeview is AT ABSOLUTE MINIMUM 30 minutes in a car about double that via the Red and Purple lines...

Old 11-18-2016, 12:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 847mom View Post
Live in Evanston. You are 22 and you would be bored silly out in Libertyville. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice suburb, but it is for families. It does have a nice downtown, but still. Move to Evanston or the city and spend more time in the car. It will be worth it unless you don't mind the quiet strip mall suburban life, lol. You have your whole life ahead for that, enjoy the 22 yr. old ride!
Precisely(!)

Old 11-20-2016, 07:43 PM

82 posts, read 91,333 times
My wife and I lived in Libertyville for 2 years and absolutely loved it! We lived in an apartment walking distance to downtown and it was perfect, I felt like there were a lot of young professionals living in Libertyville. We enjoyed it!

Old 11-21-2016, 09:28 AM

451 posts, read 465,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg06 View Post
My wife and I lived in Libertyville for 2 years and absolutely loved it! We lived in an apartment walking distance to downtown and it was perfect, I felt like there were a lot of young professionals living in Libertyville. We enjoyed it!

I'd love to hear more about Libertyville. I'm a (slightly) older single guy in my 30s, work in the Lake Co. suburbs and curious about small houses or Condos. I go into the city often, but have no desire to live/own property down there. I'd ideally like a decent suburb, walkable, and with some new people to meet. I rented in Highwood for 1 year and it was nice, although property options are expensive and limited. I hear Libertyville is also expensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs