Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,496 times

Advertisements

Hello! We will be moving back to Chicagoland 7/1/2016, from NY/CT. We've lived in Arlington Heights, and I grew up in Deerfield. My daughter will be entering kindergarten Fall 2017 and here in NY/CT kindergarten is full day. What school districts offer full day kindergarten, even if there is a fee? I know some districts it is only available at one school, please note the specific school in that case. I am not interested in busing her to an after care/park district type program. I want her to have the same hours/location as her older brother (3rd grade).

I want this to help direct our house hunt for the spring.

Thank you!

(I'm sticking with the North shore/northwest suburbs because where the rest of our family is.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 08:35 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineesilver View Post
Hello! We will be moving back to Chicagoland 7/1/2016, from NY/CT. We've lived in Arlington Heights, and I grew up in Deerfield. My daughter will be entering kindergarten Fall 2017 and here in NY/CT kindergarten is full day. What school districts offer full day kindergarten, even if there is a fee? I know some districts it is only available at one school, please note the specific school in that case. I am not interested in busing her to an after care/park district type program. I want her to have the same hours/location as her older brother (3rd grade).

Thank you!

(I'm sticking with the North shore/northwest suburbs because where the rest of our family is.)
I think most schools offer full day Kindergarten these days. I had full day Kindergarten up north back in the early 90s...

Old 12-13-2016, 09:43 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I think most schools offer full day Kindergarten these days. I had full day Kindergarten up north back in the early 90s...
..there are lots of issues that you might think are pretty universal but for a variety of reasons are have legitimate hurdles --

Official: Full-day kindergarten in Wilmette District 39 still not close - Wilmette Life

Even if districts that have recently decided to lengthen the period of time that kindergartens spend at school, there are issues with it not really being "full day" compared to older kids -- D36 Will Switch to Full-Day Kindergarten in 2017-18 - Winnetka, IL Patch

In general, the dominance of parents that do not work from home and the fluid definition of what is "over crowded" make this a minefield in affluent areas...

Old 12-13-2016, 01:55 PM

155 posts, read 213,091 times
Default Mount Prospect

Quote:

Thank you!

you know, I didn't have an answer so I decided to look into my local schools. I'm in Mount Prospect D57 schools. Doesn't apply to my on as he is only 4 months.

Download the handbook and the agreement and you' see the info and pricing. Very inexpensive and seems much better than our current daycare.

Child Care

Old 12-13-2016, 02:43 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:

Thank you!

Congrats. If you grew up in DF, that should be a great option and no brainer since the schools are top notch. They offer full day kindy (~$2K/year) with ASC handled in each of the four elementary schools, run by the DF park district. FWIW, D109 has made Wednesday an 'early release' day each week, so all K-8 students are done @ 2/2:30pm.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:27 PM

33 posts, read 73,788 times
Glencoe (D35) offers full day Kindergarten for free. However, the Glencoe schools are split between K-2 (South School), 3-4 (West School), and 5-8 (Central School). Your son and daughter would not be on the same schedule or at the same location, which sounds like it might be a deal breaker for you. Northbrook (D28) is the only other full day program I'm aware of in the area.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:40 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times
Deerfield just added full day kindergarten a year or two ago. Libertyville also has full day kindergarten and It's free. 90% of Elementary schools in Illinois have it but some aren't free and I know in Prospect Heights it's only offered to students who need more help academically. I think what's more important than finding a district with
full day kindergarten is to compare prices along with the programs the School offers. I know Glenview and highland park don't have full day kindergarten.

Last edited by 4122; 12-13-2016 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 10:01 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
..there are lots of issues that you might think are pretty universal but for a variety of reasons are have legitimate hurdles --

Official: Full-day kindergarten in Wilmette District 39 still not close - Wilmette Life

Even if districts that have recently decided to lengthen the period of time that kindergartens spend at school, there are issues with it not really being "full day" compared to older kids -- D36 Will Switch to Full-Day Kindergarten in 2017-18 - Winnetka, IL Patch

In general, the dominance of parents that do not work from home and the fluid definition of what is "over crowded" make this a minefield in affluent areas...
I went as far as to ask my parents about this and I was wrong. I did not have full day kindergarten, but I did have some sort of after school care. I'm genuinely shocked it took this long to get full day kindergarten.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:04 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,364,523 times
In Kildeer District 96, which covers Kildeer, Long Grove, and much of the Lake County side of Buffalo Grove, all day kindergarten was introduced this year. Cost is $1,750. However, all kindergarten students in the district attend a single school in Buffalo Grove (Willow Grove) that does not include any other grades. So your 3rd grader would be attending a different school anywhere from a half mile away (Ivy Hall) or many miles away (Country Meadows) depending on where you live.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:47 PM

190 posts, read 405,452 times
I am in Lake Zurich and our district is starting full day next year. Kids will be at the same school and as far as I know on the same schedule. I actually prefer half day kindy and my son will start kindy next fall so will see how it goes....
Parts of Kildeer, Deer Park, Hawthorn Woods and all of Lake Zurich feed into our district, District 95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs