Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:09 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times

Advertisements

Arlington Heights is large, but feels more like a town than a city. Different pockets offer a variety of sociodemographics. It has a fairly walkable urban core, but the nighborhoods offer more of a 'pure americana' look. Sidewalks, trees, a mix of old ranches, 70's built colonials, and new builds.

I think you'd find it to be a much easier community to fit into than say a Libertyville. To me, Libertyville seems isolated, with mcmansion neighborhoods and limited access to anything outside the town lines. The cost of living (per sq/ft) is going to be lower in libertyville. But for your situation, do you need the new house in a new neighborhood? Probably not.

Glenview is more upscale than Arlington Heights, but offers the same redeeming qualities I mentioned with a shorter commute to Chicago. You can hop right on 94 to get up to Libertyville. I've never made the "backwards" commute north during rush hour, but my assumption is that it would clear up heading that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 11:04 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
To me, Libertyville seems isolated, with mcmansion neighborhoods and limited access to anything outside the town lines.
I wouldn't say that at all. First of all, Libertyville has many neighborhoods from modest mid century ranches to beautiful 100 year old homes to newer upscale large homes. Just look around the high school. To the south is a neighborhood right out of the 1960s with modest ranches. To the east are 100 year old classic houses. To the north are large upscale homes. Go a little further east and north to the downtown area there are newer classic home styles just off Milwaukee where you can walk to everything downtown (but they are pricey). The point is that Libertyville has a wide variety of housing from a few hundred thousand to over a million.

As for being isolated, Libertyville borders Vernon Hills which is the retail mecca of the north suburbs. Plus there are nature areas all around Libertyville for outdoor activities. And it is on the Milwaukee North line for those who want to take the train downtown. It is also just west of I 94 for access to O'Hare, Chicago, or Milwaukee. It is far from isolated and has easy access to other suburbs and Chicago and Wisconsin. But with the vibrant downtown area with all of its restaurants, there is not a need to wander afar if one wants to stay close to home.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 AM

7 posts, read 8,295 times
Thanks everyone for the responses. Any other neighborhood suggestions? We'll be up there in a couple weeks and ready to spend all our free time driving around and seeing what these towns are like first-hand.

So far, I like the idea of being in Libertyville or Mundelein very close to work, and want to balance cost with distance to Metra/local downtown. Vernon Hills would also be nice. Part of me wants to try out Arlington Heights, and we'll visit, but I don't think I want to spend that much time driving. I work the standard 5 days a week at typical rush hour times, I hate being stuck in traffic, I think I'd save more hours of my life being close to work than being close to the city I'd visit once a week at most. That'll change of course if I end up needing to visit the downtown branch a bunch.

Anyone have an opinion on Buffalo Grove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
True, but the work location is probably not within traditional walking distance of either Libertyville station.
Correct! While we were hoping to get an apartment within walking distance of the station downtown, those places are pretty pricey. Like I said though, we'll both have cars for the work commute.

We're not worried about getting into the city fast (right now it's a boring 3 hr drive, anything will be an improvement), just would like the option to go in without having to drive. I don't think a shorter commute to Chicago ranks nearly as high to us as others in our demographic.

And as for the snow, I promise if it gets bad we'll practice somewhere safe at first. We'll try not to talk like the apocalypse is coming, but really we've got no idea what it's like.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:14 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by methamadeus View Post
Anyone have an opinion on Buffalo Grove?
We have lived in the Lake County side of Buffalo Grove for over 30 years. The schools are at the very top year after year from Districts 96 and 103 (K-8) to Stevenson HS. It is different than a lot of the suburbs being mentioned here in that it has no downtown and is not walkable for the most part. You need to drive pretty much everywhere. But it has a very extensive park district with a lot of open space and an extensive bike/walking path complex. Very quiet and I would say close to zero nightlife. But that is what makes it appealing to a lot of people. Go over to Arlington Heights, Palatine, or Libertyville to party and retreat home to BG for peace and quiet. Two golf courses if that matters. The Lake County side of BG is different than the Cook County side as far as housing stock and schools go.

The commute to Libertyville is not bad if you know which roads to take at different times of day. Of course, if the work location is in north Libertyville around Route 137 it will take much longer than if around Route 60. BG has a Metra Station on Deerfield Parkway just east of Weiland. Plenty of parking including overnight parking for those taking the train to O'Hare. But the North Central Line does not run on weekends or holidays and the ride to Union Station from BG is 50-55 minutes. There are some limited express trains but not like the express trains you see on other lines. Some people (including me) will use the Milwaukee North Line out of Deerfield or Lake Cook Road if they need more flexibility.

There are very limited rentals in Lake County Buffalo Grove and the ones that are available will exceed your budget. Your best bet would be to try to find a small house or townhouse to rent, but that will be north of $2K plus utilities. There are only two apartment complexes I can think of, both along Deefield Parkway. Windbrooke is pretty good but it borders the west end of the industrial area of BG and is across from the train station. It can get very loud over there (the tracks are shared with the CN railroad and there are a lot of freight trains every day), but the apartments are nice and the complex is well cared for. It is tucked away from the road. The other is further east (Wheatlands) and is plopped in the middle of a large industrial/commercial area with absolutely nothing around it as far as other residences are concerned. It is very dense and does not get great reviews.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:31 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
How about Vernon hills?

Old 07-08-2017, 07:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
How about Vernon hills?
Not too far away, and you will find more rentals available. Obviously nothing will be near as cheap as MS. But, if your workplace is near Abbott Park (Rt 43 and 137), Waukegan would be easier. Another warning: stay west of Rt 41. A railroad with heavy freight traffic lies just east of it and blocks traffic for long stretches.

Last edited by pvande55; 07-08-2017 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 07-11-2017, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 8,295 times
Well, we're headed up later this week, looking at some more affordable places in Libertyville itself. Work is over by 45, so as long as my fiance doesn't feel confined in the downtown-ish area we will probably pull the trigger. Otherwise, Vernon Hills is looking good. We definitely can't do $2k a month for an apartment with the other options available, so I guess that's a pass. Thanks again everyone for the info!

I have to say, the places we've found with the help of a rental consultant have been much better than the easily accessible listings on sites we already knew about. It brought the mental price tag of Libertyville down to manageable for us. I just hope not too many people get there first!

Old 07-12-2017, 10:38 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
I think your concerns about fitting in Libertyville are misplaced. We spend a good deal of time in Libertyville and know many people who live and work there (including local small business owners), and it is not in any way a "snobby" kind of place. It is upper middle class but there is a real small town community kind of feel there. The downtown area is very nice and getting better all the time. The only issue I see is that your budget might not get you too much in Libertyville, especially near the downtown area. But if there is flexibility in your budget, I would look in Libertyville itself. Stay away from Waukegan. Mundelein has its good and bad areas, so be careful there. Gurnee is okay and Lake Bluff is pretty upscale for the most part.
I was born and raised in MS and currently live in Libertyville. I agree with much of this.

When I first moved to IL I lived in Waukegan. There are nicer areas in Waukegan, look around Fountain Square and up near Beach Park around the airport. I hate even going to the mall in Gurnee, the traffic is so horrible.

Libertyville is so nice and being able to walk downtown is awesome. I also love that unlike in Waukegan, parking is free even in the downtown area. Every now and then I drive up to Waukegan to grocery shop and visit with friends, but everything you need is practically right here in Libertyville. Another plus for Libertyville/Mundelein is you will be closer to some of the nicer chain restaurants that are common in the south. Chick-Fil-A, Jason's Deli, McAllisters, Long John Silver, and Moe's are all in that area. They are nowhere to be found in the Waukegan area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs