Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:15 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
That is absurd... No matter how you slice it there is NO justification for ranking those towns so poorly -- the OP is not at all off base in trying to find a home under $250k but folks who are even suggesting in jest that there is some horrible stigma associated with other than the top tier towns (which is simply not true...) are being reckless. Look at the most recent sales data: http://www.mredllc.com/statistics/do...WR_2017-Q2.pdf
I think it was a joke...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 08:41 AM

529 posts, read 646,945 times
Quote:
That is absurd... No matter how you slice it there is NO justification for ranking those towns so poorly -- the OP is not at all off base in trying to find a home under $250k but folks who are even suggesting in jest that there is some horrible stigma associated with other than the top tier towns (which is simply not true...) are being reckless. Look at the most recent sales data: http://www.mredllc.com/statistics/do...WR_2017-Q2.pdf
I was poking fun at the other post. A poor joke at that.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM

34 posts, read 55,214 times
Thank you so much for responding to my post! I really appreciate the input. I started going to some open houses in these towns to get a feel for things. I really like a house I saw in Addison, but your feedback is making me reconsider it. Of course, I can get more house for the money in Addison so it is tempting, and the neighborhood seemed good (just north of Fullerton near Mill Road). But the most important thing to me is safety and a quiet, neighborly area. We are moving because our current town lacks these things. I don't want to move somewhere that goes downhill, becomes gang-infested, or where there is a lot of neighborhood drama and fighting. We have had enough of that!

Again, thank you so much. Any more input is welcome! I can see from looking through various threads that most of the people posting here don't have the budget limits that I have, so I really appreciate that you can put yourselves in my shoes and give some advice from that perspective.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:53 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Can you share where you live now? That would give us a context. I would say Lombard is the nicest, then Villa Park, and then Addison but really there are some nice parts of each. My mom lived quite close to Addison in Wood Dale and I would go through there all the time nothing really stuck out to me much, and there were some nice areas and homes there. The apartments are where all the problems seem to be so I'd say steer clear of living near them. I also have family that has lived in Villa Park for years and it seems like a quiet place and there are some nice areas. I like the little part where there is that garden shop. Lombard has some nice areas too.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
For folks who prefer a more traditional town, centered on a rail station and walkable core, which constitute the majority of those who frequent the Chicago / Chicago Suburbs forums here, Addison does not hold much appeal. It would be a mistake for the OP to give too much weight to those opinions.

There are many homes in Addison that are far more costly than what the OP is considering and fears of disharmony / crime in the portion of town they are considering are minimal.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:09 PM

34 posts, read 55,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Can you share where you live now?
I'm currently in north Berwyn. Some of Berwyn isn't bad at all, but my neighborhood has a lot of rentals and, unfortunately, a lot of unsavory characters have moved into them. I can't wait to be in a neighborhood where people don't have arguments out on the street, sit on their front steps on their cell phones having arguments, and make my front porch and yard their playground. And to have a little room between my house and the next - to look out my bedroom window and see something other than a brick wall! These are my dreams

Old 10-12-2017, 09:24 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Yup, I am familiar with Berwyn. I own a two flat there and my son lives in the first floor. There are a lot of multifamily buildings in Berwyn, and its not without challenges. I actually like Berwyn very much but I'd be careful about where I would live and buy there. When I go there, I am much more watchful than I am around where I live of course. Have not had any real problems. By the way you have a smattering of the same kinds of people that live in Berwyn in each of these suburbs, most are in apartment complexes in Addison there are some bad areas around Mill Road north of Army Trail and north of the shopping area where Portillo's is. You might want to add Wood Dale to your list to look in, there are some nice home there and a lot of trees. Another "cheaper" suburb option is Westmont. I like the location of Westmont very much.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:50 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSully View Post
Thank you so much for responding to my post! I really appreciate the input. I started going to some open houses in these towns to get a feel for things. I really like a house I saw in Addison, but your feedback is making me reconsider it. Of course, I can get more house for the money in Addison so it is tempting, and the neighborhood seemed good (just north of Fullerton near Mill Road). But the most important thing to me is safety and a quiet, neighborly area. We are moving because our current town lacks these things. I don't want to move somewhere that goes downhill, becomes gang-infested, or where there is a lot of neighborhood drama and fighting. We have had enough of that!

Again, thank you so much. Any more input is welcome! I can see from looking through various threads that most of the people posting here don't have the budget limits that I have, so I really appreciate that you can put yourselves in my shoes and give some advice from that perspective.
I don't see any of these three towns going downhill like that but if one were to I would say in order of likeness of that would be Addison, VP, Lombard. I think VP has a very active police force ie when I'm out late at night 1am 3am etc I see them patrolling neighborhoods, cracking down on cars parked on the street, etc but basically my point is they are active and so I don't see that city decaying. I've never really liked Addison, probably personal taste more than anything else but feels industrial, they have those HJ massage parlors all over which I don't really have any moral issue with however cities that have loose zoning allowing that and tattoo parlors and head shops which I believe Addison has all of those tend to be not as nice.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:23 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Don't confuse "unincorporated areas" for those insider municipal boundaries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I don't see any of these three towns going downhill like that but if one were to I would say in order of likeness of that would be Addison, VP, Lombard. I think VP has a very active police force ie when I'm out late at night 1am 3am etc I see them patrolling neighborhoods, cracking down on cars parked on the street, etc but basically my point is they are active and so I don't see that city decaying. I've never really liked Addison, probably personal taste more than anything else but feels industrial, they have those HJ massage parlors all over which I don't really have any moral issue with however cities that have loose zoning allowing that and tattoo parlors and head shops which I believe Addison has all of those tend to be not as nice.

... most of the "less desirable" businesses are probably NOT in Addison. The various tattoo, massage, "smoking accessory" spots are probably only in little slivers that are just under the jurisdiction of DuPage Co. The relative safety / lawfulness of these businesses is enforced by the DuPage Co Sheriff's Police Deputies and county level code enforcement, which is actually known for being mostly on the up & up...

Addison's municipal standards are generally even higher, though there are some retail areas that are probably could be improved...

Old 10-13-2017, 01:34 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
Quote:
... most of the "less desirable" businesses are probably NOT in Addison. The various tattoo, massage, "smoking accessory" spots are probably only in little slivers that are just under the jurisdiction of DuPage Co. The relative safety / lawfulness of these businesses is enforced by the DuPage Co Sheriff's Police Deputies and county level code enforcement, which is actually known for being mostly on the up & up...

Addison's municipal standards are generally even higher, though there are some retail areas that are probably could be improved...
I could be mistaken, I kind of get confused where Addison runs into Itasca and other burbs. I was laughing the other day when I was at Demarcos which I think is technically Itasca though I always thought it was Addison. Anyhow, they have a 24 hour massage parlor with blacked out windows, I was like how the heck does the city allow this, just think it's funny, I have really no issues with prositution and it should probably be legal but seeing as how it isn't what kind of massage parlor needs to be open at 4am? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs