Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:19 AM

18 posts, read 19,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
Are you planning to have at least one car?
My husband can drive. I can't. But I don't plan on learning, unless I absolutely have to. He will have the car, but will prefer to use the Metra/Bus/L to get to work. If he needs to use the car, he will.

As for me, I am a stay-at-home mom. I will have to get around when he is at work, especially to bring my child to school, or run errands. Maybe take trips with her around the neighborhood or downtown chicago (without relying on my husband).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 09:38 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
My husband can drive. I can't. But I don't plan on learning, unless I absolutely have to. He will have the car, but will prefer to use the Metra/Bus/L to get to work. If he needs to use the car, he will.

As for me, I am a stay-at-home mom. I will have to get around when he is at work, especially to bring my child to school, or run errands. Maybe take trips with her around the neighborhood or downtown chicago (without relying on my husband).
With this added info I think it's really important that you find a place that's walking distance to a Metra station. Not so much for your husband, but so you and your kids can get to things to do during the day. If you're near the Metra in most towns you'll also be near their downtown which will have stores, parks, city hall and hopefully the library.

Maybe with a budget of $300 you can find something in Roselle. Their downtown is cute and the schools are pretty good. I feel like it's an often forgotten town. There isn't much available now, but a lot of people wait until spring to list their homes.

If you find anything in Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Elmhurst, La Grange or Downers Grove in your budget that would be amazing. It will be more of a stretch in those towns though.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Hello Paper-Dolls --

Hi. I have been following your post, with interest. I do not live in Chicagoland now, but Hubby and I were born and raised there. I am a lover of public transit and walkable neighborhoods, so I understand what you are looking for.

One thing I would do in my search is co-ordinate my property/neighborhood search with 3 online websites: METRA, PACE, and CTA. You really need to get deep inside these schedules to find out about express train service, and also commuter bus service to the METRA stations. Also, some PACE routes stop at the city line/with a new CTA route starting and continuing on in CTA territory. So that is something to watch. Also search for communities that offer Urban "Circulator" buses -- they are wonderful! They circulate around the same route every hour and stop at places like the grocery store, Walmart, library, universities, senior apartments --- and they are open to all ages.

You had mentioned in Post #34 about Glen Ellyn being further away than Glenview. Both are pleasant communities and are directly on METRA railroad lines. Btw, I would also look at METRA ticket prices and budget that amount, as that is going to be a fixed part of your budget [and ticket prices do rise over time, of course]. You will save x$'s off your monthly expenses by living in a closer-in zone. Check out the boundary lines of everything, Lol.

I am not as familiar with Glenview as Glen Ellyn, as I grew up much closer to Glen Ellyn and have relatives next door in Lombard, also a pleasant community. You need to study out the PACE routes that have the morning & evening service to the METRA station. If not are unable to find a home walking distance to a train station [which will likely retain it's value due to location], then consider the option of the PACE bus back and forth to the train station. This does add another fixed item to your monthly budget, but a PACE monthly pass is far less than a 2nd car payment, repairs, and insurance. Thousands of people do this 5 days a weeks -- the buses are there -- BUT you have to live close enough to the route to utilize it. Paying to park at a train station costs a lot of money over a period of time, avoid it if you can. And in some places the waiting lists for a parking spot are over 5 years!!!

I would also suggest adding the suburbs of Wheaton, Lombard, and Villa Park along the same Metra line. Also check out the PACE service along Roosevelt Road -- this is PACE #301, changing to CTA #305. There are many stores and shopping malls along this route. They even run direct buses from Yorktown Mall in Lombard directly to Wrigley Field for certain Cubs games. I would also consider Brookfield -- a community on the "Burlington" METRA line and home to the Brookfield Zoo. LaGrange is wonderful, too, but is more expensive.

The $300K housing budget is tight for a single family home, but you may be able to find one. I would strongly advise you to not consider a slab-built home under any circumstances [and you will find some like that in that price range]. It is nice to have a basement for the kids to play in during the winter, and to use in case of a tornado warning. And the extra storage is great.

I know you said you are not moving for a year -- and plans do change -- but enjoy your hunt!!!

Old 02-28-2018, 03:44 PM

165 posts, read 310,037 times
Check out Brookfield, it could tick a lot of your boxes. Affordable, good schools, 3 metra stations with quick commute downtown, and some PACE buses. Small downtown areas, but walking distance to grocery store, CVS, and some restaurants. Lots of young families and nice housing stock. Only 15 minutes to Midway for visitors. You're mostly only going to get bus service in the inner ring suburbs, but La Grange and Oak Park are out due to budget. Most other inner ring suburbs don't have very good schools. Brookfield is kind of the rare middle point.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:37 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agallan View Post
Check out Brookfield, it could tick a lot of your boxes. Affordable, good schools, 3 metra stations with quick commute downtown, and some PACE buses. Small downtown areas, but walking distance to grocery store, CVS, and some restaurants. Lots of young families and nice housing stock. Only 15 minutes to Midway for visitors. You're mostly only going to get bus service in the inner ring suburbs, but La Grange and Oak Park are out due to budget. Most other inner ring suburbs don't have very good schools. Brookfield is kind of the rare middle point.
Good call(!)

Old 03-01-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Hello Paper-Dolls --

Hi. I have been following your post, with interest. I do not live in Chicagoland now, but Hubby and I were born and raised there. I am a lover of public transit and walkable neighborhoods, so I understand what you are looking for.

One thing I would do in my search is co-ordinate my property/neighborhood search with 3 online websites: METRA, PACE, and CTA. You really need to get deep inside these schedules to find out about express train service, and also commuter bus service to the METRA stations. Also, some PACE routes stop at the city line/with a new CTA route starting and continuing on in CTA territory. So that is something to watch. Also search for communities that offer Urban "Circulator" buses -- they are wonderful! They circulate around the same route every hour and stop at places like the grocery store, Walmart, library, universities, senior apartments --- and they are open to all ages.

You had mentioned in Post #34 about Glen Ellyn being further away than Glenview. Both are pleasant communities and are directly on METRA railroad lines. Btw, I would also look at METRA ticket prices and budget that amount, as that is going to be a fixed part of your budget [and ticket prices do rise over time, of course]. You will save x$'s off your monthly expenses by living in a closer-in zone. Check out the boundary lines of everything, Lol.

I am not as familiar with Glenview as Glen Ellyn, as I grew up much closer to Glen Ellyn and have relatives next door in Lombard, also a pleasant community. You need to study out the PACE routes that have the morning & evening service to the METRA station. If not are unable to find a home walking distance to a train station [which will likely retain it's value due to location], then consider the option of the PACE bus back and forth to the train station. This does add another fixed item to your monthly budget, but a PACE monthly pass is far less than a 2nd car payment, repairs, and insurance. Thousands of people do this 5 days a weeks -- the buses are there -- BUT you have to live close enough to the route to utilize it. Paying to park at a train station costs a lot of money over a period of time, avoid it if you can. And in some places the waiting lists for a parking spot are over 5 years!!!

I would also suggest adding the suburbs of Wheaton, Lombard, and Villa Park along the same Metra line. Also check out the PACE service along Roosevelt Road -- this is PACE #301, changing to CTA #305. There are many stores and shopping malls along this route. They even run direct buses from Yorktown Mall in Lombard directly to Wrigley Field for certain Cubs games. I would also consider Brookfield -- a community on the "Burlington" METRA line and home to the Brookfield Zoo. LaGrange is wonderful, too, but is more expensive.

The $300K housing budget is tight for a single family home, but you may be able to find one. I would strongly advise you to not consider a slab-built home under any circumstances [and you will find some like that in that price range]. It is nice to have a basement for the kids to play in during the winter, and to use in case of a tornado warning. And the extra storage is great.

I know you said you are not moving for a year -- and plans do change -- but enjoy your hunt!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by agallan View Post
You both gave incredible information! Thank you I am taking everything on board, and looking into all my options.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:12 AM

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been leaving replies This is a lot to take in, but I do have time to gather all that you have shared.

I just want my daughter to grow up in the suburbs (what my husband is used to), but to also grow up with the city life (what I am used to).

And I thought that IL (specifically, the chicago area) would work as the perfect balance.

And though my husband can drive us around here and there, I do want to still have the option to get around --- as though I never moved to the suburbs, you know?

I know it is asking for a lot, and I may have to compromise here and there, but it is worth it.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,658 times
You can get the best of both worlds here - certain towns do deliver the urban-suburban balance in harmony... But those are inner ring to the big city. The further you go the more suburban you get... I think you will need to visit a few times and few places to get a feel for that will work for you guys in this balance...

Old 03-01-2018, 10:20 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
PaperDolls-

I would look at Morton Grove too. Good schools, Pace bus access along Dempster St to shopping and Metra, etc.

Example:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...3/3474809_zpid

Old 03-01-2018, 10:54 AM

282 posts, read 438,488 times
I see that no one has mentioned any of the south suburbs. Oak Forest, Tinley Park, Homewood, Orland Park. I see that there is a lot of bias towards everything south of I-55. The communities that I listed marks a lot off of your list. You would definitely find something in your price range with easy access to a Metra Line. And if you would want to drive, it is much easier to drive from the south suburbs to the city than the west or northwest suburbs.

Come on, where are my south suburbanites??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs