Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 02:25 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,189,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The name "Clarendon Hills" ain't just a make up "BocaDelVista" thing, elevations really do range over quite a bit, almost a hundred feet from high point to low, and they vary street to street. Thus while you can't quite create your own "Escher stairs" https://www.puzzlewarehouse.com/Esch...-aa567pom.html it absolutely is possible to take advantage of different routes so you do your "climb" at either the end or middle of your trip and that is especially helpful if you use a bicycle or kick-scooter to let gravity help you glide...

Another facts is the google mapping targets the MIDDLE of the rather long platform while folks who commute know you can board at the head or tail of the train. As the cars are about 90 feet long and many of the busiest routes run 10+ cars that shaves off almost a 1/5 of mile. Using the paved paths in the park probably shave off a similar amount, which likely puts one within inches of being under a mile...

Not disputing that Waverly is closer, and I suspect that is part of the higher asking price, but even that is not just a 100% slam dunk -- as it is so close some folks might not like the sound / vibrations of passing trains... It is foolish to rule out homes that otherwise are SQUARELY in the OP's target based on incorrect assumptions of walking distance.
I think we should let OP chime in before asserting a 1 mile+ distance and ~25 min walk from home to the station as a non-starter (would be for me if I planned to walk to the station every day for work) is an “incorrect” assumption...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 04:39 PM

Here’s another Hinsdale listing for OP to consider. Meets all the listed criteria assuming sale price can be negotiated down to mid $800s and ~15 minute walk to DT Hinsdale train station.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/1.../home/18033675

Old 05-02-2018, 06:48 AM

18 posts, read 23,237 times
So here is an update. We looked at https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/1.../home/18033675. Windows really needed work. Although I loved Hinsdale, I think we will end up in Elmhurst. We are looking at two homes: one north of North Ave near Berens Park (1 mile from train) and one in Cherry Farm which is walk to train. Parking seems ample, so he would drive to the station or ride his bike if we do north of North Ave. We have also looked at North Shore areas like NB and Glenview. We know that area well, but I would like somewhere with a great downtown feel that we could enjoy (prices in North Shore seem prohibitive).

Old 05-02-2018, 06:49 AM

18 posts, read 23,237 times
And re: walking time to train...I'd say 10-15 min would be ideal.

Thanks for all of your input!

Old 05-02-2018, 07:32 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,658 times
Elmhurst is an awesome choice - i believe the university quadrant is known as most desirable area there...

My only word of caution is distance... I would shoot for half mile downtown/train walkable or less. biking in winter is not realistic for commute here and even in summer is a pain when it gets very hot. And parking sucks - the few extra minutes (even if there is parking) only sounds good on paper. Loop commuters that know want their cake and be able to eat it too... Walk door to station 10 min max...

I would strongly advise not compromising on that distance element. You have a very healthy budget (borderline 1mm) and honestly deserve it all at that price tag. Do not let your realtor tell you the hair difference does not matter - it does... Buyers here are growing ever more hyper-local and do not compromise especially with those budgets. When we shopped (similar budget) we would take out our iphone and immediately map distances before even walking into a home realtor would show. Anything 1 mile was not even on the table - and you want to protect your healthy investment here. You do that with old skool location, location, location...

Last edited by JJski; 05-02-2018 at 08:01 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc24 View Post
So here is an update. We looked at https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/1.../home/18033675. Windows really needed work. Although I loved Hinsdale, I think we will end up in Elmhurst. We are looking at two homes: one north of North Ave near Berens Park (1 mile from train) and one in Cherry Farm which is walk to train. Parking seems ample, so he would drive to the station or ride his bike if we do north of North Ave. We have also looked at North Shore areas like NB and Glenview. We know that area well, but I would like somewhere with a great downtown feel that we could enjoy (prices in North Shore seem prohibitive).
I am suprised to hear that about the Hinsdale home, I suppose pictures can be deceiving! Must be original windows from when it was constructed in 1994.

We also looked at Elmhurst extensively when we were in the market. Personally, I wasn't a big fan of neighborhoods north of North Avenue. The Cherry Farm neighborhood is fantastic but my personal favorite is the area between St. Charles Rd and the tracks - near the college and east of York Road. Those are fantastic areas and, of course, very walkable to the train and town centre.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:51 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
I am suprised to hear that about the Hinsdale home, I suppose pictures can be deceiving! Must be original windows from when it was constructed in 1994.
Zoom in and look at the latches/closures. That is the clue to relative age/likely condition. Either way it’s a gorgeous home. Cheers.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:36 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc24 View Post
Just to reassure you, yes, there is a ton of parking for the Elmhurst Metra station. If you come from north of North Ave I'd recommend using the garage on Addison. It's the least used parking garage. The only annoying thing about that garage is that the daily commuter spaces are on one of the higher floors, but they are never totally full, even in days with really bad weather when everyone wants to drive.

When we were buying we seriously looked everywhere. I had LaGrange, Western Springs, Westmont, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Naperville, all of the North Shore area, etc. in my searches. We ended up in Elmhurst because that's where we found the house we liked best that was walking distance to the train. That was my #1 criteria because, honestly, all of the towns we looked at were great. We will probably never move out of Elmhurst, certainly not after our daughter starts school. We just put $100k into finishing our basement, so we're committed.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:57 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,658 times
Downtown Elmhurst Party at Nikita’s house this summer - gotta break in the new basement which im sure has a killer bar!

In all seriousness: drive/walk thru any desirable downtown core close proximity neighborhood. Notice the level of commitment/confidence which can be gauged in permits posted in windows to dumpsters in driveways for large projects or even teardown activity for the few lucky...

Last edited by JJski; 05-02-2018 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 10:56 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Downtown Elmhurst Party at Nikita’s house this summer - gotta break in the new basement which im sure has a killer bar!

In all seriousness: drive/walk thru any desirable downtown core close proximity neighborhood. Notice the level of commitment/confidence which can be gauged in permits posted in windows to dumpsters in driveways for large projects or even teardown activity for the few lucky...
It will have a great bar... here's the progress since I just got the counters installed earlier this week. We have a couple upper cabinets and a backsplash, of course. We've also got to finish the trim in the front and side still.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xFqXKAUqXtqkuvmb7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs