Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 02:22 PM

12 posts, read 9,353 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm new to the forum and will be relocating to Chicago next month. My boyfriend will work at Argonne, I have a job in the loop, we would like to find a place to live somewhere midpoint so that we both have a manageable commute. We've looked at Oak Park and La Grange, we like Oak Park but the commute for the BF is still a 50-minute one-way during peak hours (I only have a 17-minute commute if I took the Metra...); while for La Grange we each have a roughly 30-minute commute (the express trains are awesome!), but the town itself doesn't appear to have as much nightlife as Oak Park. Could someone please help us out and let us know if Oak Park is worth that 50-minute commute for the BF? I've heard great things about that neighborhood from my co-workers but nobody had said much about La Grange. In terms of apartment renting prices, we were looking at rather newer complexes so the price point for both locations is about the same. We are both in our late-twenties, enjoy city life but are past the crazy college grad party-all-night lifestyle.
Thanks in advance to anyone who'd like to share some insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 02:58 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinadarko View Post
Hello! I'm new to the forum and will be relocating to Chicago next month. My boyfriend will work at Argonne, I have a job in the loop, we would like to find a place to live somewhere midpoint so that we both have a manageable commute. We've looked at Oak Park and La Grange, we like Oak Park but the commute for the BF is still a 50-minute one-way during peak hours (I only have a 17-minute commute if I took the Metra...); while for La Grange we each have a roughly 30-minute commute (the express trains are awesome!), but the town itself doesn't appear to have as much nightlife as Oak Park. Could someone please help us out and let us know if Oak Park is worth that 50-minute commute for the BF? I've heard great things about that neighborhood from my co-workers but nobody had said much about La Grange. In terms of apartment renting prices, we were looking at rather newer complexes so the price point for both locations is about the same. We are both in our late-twenties, enjoy city life but are past the crazy college grad party-all-night lifestyle.
Thanks in advance to anyone who'd like to share some insight!

I like both. LaGrange has places to go out as well, and if you live near its downtown, it's very walkable as it's close to the train and there's a Jewel and Trader Joe's within walking distance. It might depend if you know people in either place if it's worth adding 20 minutes to your boyfriend's commute. I can't imagine it takes to long to Uber back and forth from one town to another. Neither really compare to Chicago. I'd suggest visiting both suburbs, spending at least a few hours in each if possible prior to signing a lease.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:32 PM

12 posts, read 9,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I like both. LaGrange has places to go out as well, and if you live near its downtown, it's very walkable as it's close to the train and there's a Jewel and Trader Joe's within walking distance. It might depend if you know people in either place if it's worth adding 20 minutes to your boyfriend's commute. I can't imagine it takes to long to Uber back and forth from one town to another. Neither really compare to Chicago. I'd suggest visiting both suburbs, spending at least a few hours in each if possible prior to signing a lease.
Thanks! Yeah the place in La Grange that we're looking at is very close to the Metra station and its downtown, same with the Oak Park apartment complex - we were only looking at places that had no more than a 10-minute walk to the train station as I didn't want to drive, park and then take the train... We don't know anyone in these two suburbs but have some friends in downtown Chicago. You're right - we'll spend some time in each location and then decide if a longer commute for the BF is worth it. Even if we made a bad decision, we can always move again next year Thanks for your input!

Old 03-22-2018, 04:03 PM

768 posts, read 1,103,190 times
In la grange go hang out at barrel house and wild monk to get a bar experience - but make sure to also grab dinner and/or drinks at 1416, nicksons or kama... palmers (dive bar-ish) has kool outdoor patio too if weather ok - great for beers. Steak and vine has a nice lounge with good wine +bourbons (they got pappy) if you need sonething quieter but still really cool... 1416 is west loop style trendy and has awesome roof top... grab coffees at owl and lark... if here for breakfest go to prasino...

LG is fun (no comparison to big city) but still has life... Let us know how it goes after your visit...

Assuming you are looking at uptown apartments? Those are sweet!

Last edited by JJski; 03-22-2018 at 04:55 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 08:49 PM

165 posts, read 309,788 times
Downers Grove would be a natural suggestion. Established downtown with several newer apartments adjacent to train station. Roughly 30 minute express to the loop. Shorter commute, probably 15-20 minutes or so to Argonne. Downtown DG has several bars and restaurants, but less active than La Grange/Oak Park. However, downtown Naperville, which has more active nightlife than any of the other suburban options mentions, is close by.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agallan View Post
Downers Grove would be a natural suggestion. Established downtown with several newer apartments adjacent to train station. Roughly 30 minute express to the loop. Shorter commute, probably 15-20 minutes or so to Argonne. Downtown DG has several bars and restaurants, but less active than La Grange/Oak Park. However, downtown Naperville, which has more active nightlife than any of the other suburban options mentions, is close by.

Given the OP and her boyfriend's preference for shorter commutes, Naperville probably doesn't work unless they live really close to the Naperville train station, say, in the apartments they're just finishing up next to the station. Naperville is a longer commute to Argonne than LaGrange or Downers Grove. It's barely shorter than Oak Park. Unless they rent in those new apartments by the Naperville train station, her boyfriend's commute will be longer than the 50 minute Oak Park commute.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:14 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
FWIW, I know several Argonne employees (including a senior level director) who choose to live in Oak Park, but they do have kids so are not the same demographic category as you two. According to them, Oak Park is fairly popular with Argonne employees. Has your bf asked his future colleagues for advice?

Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Given the OP and her boyfriend's preference for shorter commutes, Naperville probably doesn't work unless they live really close to the Naperville train station, say, in the apartments they're just finishing up next to the station. Naperville is a longer commute to Argonne than LaGrange or Downers Grove. It's barely shorter than Oak Park. Unless they rent in those new apartments by the Naperville train station, her boyfriend's commute will be longer than the 50 minute Oak Park commute.
I think Naperville was mentioned as an entertainment option for Downers Grove if that was their choice. Not necessarily for the OP to live there.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I think Naperville was mentioned as an entertainment option for Downers Grove if that was their choice. Not necessarily for the OP to live there.
You might be right.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:30 PM

165 posts, read 309,788 times
Yes, referring to living in DG and having naperville accessible for nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs